Sitting ducks

The TV shows a long line of Russian troop carriers (miles long) on a road. They would be sitting ducks if the Ukrainians were to get the right type of attack aircraft.

Just sayin’.
Plenty of veteran (retired military) pilots would volunteer to fly them, I’m sure, without the involvement of any government.

Wendy

6 Likes

The TV shows a long line of Russian troop carriers (miles long) on a road. They would be sitting ducks if the Ukrainians were to get the right type of attack aircraft.

Just sayin’.
Plenty of veteran (retired military) pilots would volunteer to fly them, I’m sure, without the involvement of any government.

Wendy

Ah, ha!

MY thoughts exactly.

What a squadron of A-10’s would do with such a target rich environment.

Feel sorry for the Russian troops, tho. I’d guess that more than just a few of them wish they weren’t doing what they’re doing.

(Might be a real factor as to why the Ruskies haven’t prevailed so far in the invasion???)

1 Like

What a squadron of A-10’s would do with such a target rich environment.

While the A-10’s are both an emotional as well as a political Airforce vs. Army struggle the simple truth is that long ago (late 1970s to early 80s) they loaded so many new crts, and audible warning systems into a very tight one man cockpit that no one man can process all the info.

This info didn’t come from an intel report but rather an A-10 pilot we hosted at an airshow who felt it was time for them to go. 40 years later the struggle continues while companies vie with each other to add their particular product to the over loaded pilots tasks. Of course this leads to prioritizing which begins with something like “well the potential target doesn’t look American”.

There are all sorts of attack helicopters and more modern anti-tank equipment including Reaper Drones and shoulder fired missile that could do the job better at lower cost. As soon as anyone tries to remove them the legal bribes … er reelection money gets rolled out and horse trading to keep it around for another couple of decades.

Politics and money for Steve’s job creators uber alles.

Tim

https://g.co/kgs/es9jLk

OT - Friendly Fire ain’t Friendly

1 Like

Ukraine has announced that they’ve been gifted some planes

https://twitter.com/verkhovna_rada/status/149839574853001625…

???? ???????? ????????? ??? ???-29 ?? ??-25!

???????? (???-29) - 16 ??
???????? (??-25) - 14 ??
?????? (???-29) - 28 ??
?????????? (???-29) - 12 ??

translated:

Our partners give us the MiG-29 and Su-25!

Bulgaria (MiG-29) - 16 pcs
Bulgaria (Su-25) - 14 pcs
Poland (Mig-29) - 28 pcs
Slovakia (Mig-29) - 12 pcs

I don’t know if there are coherent plans for how to use, and especially how to base them. Basing in Ukraine would be hit by air and missile strikes. Flying over the border from a NATO country would be an escalation. Perhaps NATO is now willing to allow such an escalation?

They do/did have some of these in inventory, so pilots should have familiarity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Air_Force#Current_in…

1 Like

Poland (Mig-29) - 28 pcs

I don’t know if there are coherent plans for how to use, and especially how to base them. Basing in Ukraine would be hit by air and missile strikes. Flying over the border from a NATO country would be an escalation.

========================================================================

No escalation for Ukrainian pilots to go and pickup the planes (with newly painted Ukrainian flags) and fly them to Ukraine.

2/28/2022

Ukrainian pilots have arrived in Poland to start the process of taking control of fighter planes they expect to be donated by European countries, a Ukrainian government official told POLITICO.

The potential transfer of older Russian-made planes to be used in combat against Russian forces could be the most significant moment yet in a wave of promised arms transfers over the past 24 hours that includes thousands of anti-armor rockets, machine guns, artillery and other equipment.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/28/ukrainian-pilots-ar…

Jaak

1 Like

The details of what is happening to that 40 mile long convoy are missing. Are they stopping and chasing Ukrainians taking shots at them? Do they have to move burnt out vehicles to keep moving forward?

We do not need to know if that hurts the Ukrainian mission.

For instance should most of Ukraine’s Kviv forces leave the city before the convoy arrives? Fight another day? George Washington danced going backwards until we won.

A gorilla war is more winnable for the Ukrainians.

But we are not to be told if the men of Kviv are now scattering. Leave them their edge press reporters.

Our partners give us the MiG-29 and Su-25!

Poland (Mig-29) - 28 pcs

Great news!

The Captain

A gorilla war is more winnable for the Ukrainians.

Gorilla Conservation Status
www.gorillas-world.com/gorillas-endangered/
The Red List of the International Union for Conservation of Nature has classified the Western Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla) as a Critically Endangered Species and the Eastern Gorilla (Gorilla beringei) in the list of Endangered Species.

DB2

3 Likes

I would remind that, while assistance might be flown in from Poland, the planes need a safe place to land. Combat sorties from Poland are unlikely as that starts a slippery slope with Russian attempts to stop that being interpreted as an attack on a NATO member.

Expecting Ukraine to “win” is the same as expecting Mexico to win a war against a concentrated US invasion. People who are expressing surprise that the Russians didn’t take Ukraine in a couple of days are believing some sort of naivety or disinformation (neither currently in short supply).

Putin’s off-ramp is leaving with “only” the the rest of the two eastern provinces, but at this stage of thee game, he’s probably going for the brass ring of regime change.

The “other” story of the day is that the war has completely displaced the COVID pandemic in our news cycle as, while the deaths per day rival those of the nation’s worth days, the hospitals have space and the case count is lower. We have pretty much morphed into an attitude that our society can tolerate the current run-rate with a return to a new normal status quo.

Jeff

2 Likes

We have pretty much morphed into an attitude that our society can tolerate the current run-rate with a return to a new normal status quo.

Yes. From your new mayor:

Adams calls end of masking in schools a ‘symbol that we are back’
https://gothamist.com/news/adams-calls-end-of-masking-in-sch…
Mayor Eric Adams on Monday said removing mask mandates in public schools was a broader sign that the city is moving toward a full economic reopening.

“When we take off the mask, we’re going to start to show that we’re open,” Adams said during an interview on CNBC’s Squawk Box. “It’s just a symbol that we are back."

DB2

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Expecting Ukraine to “win” is the same as expecting Mexico to win a war against a concentrated US invasion. People who are expressing surprise that the Russians didn’t take Ukraine in a couple of days are believing some sort of naivety or disinformation (neither currently in short supply).

The definition of “win” is pretty flexible. The Russian people are feeling the bite with plunging currency, increasing borrowing rates and sons in the army not replying to texts. More important the people (oligarchies) that keep Putin in his expected level of comfort are feeling far more pain from the sanctions than just about anybody else in Russia. Russian Banks are running out of money and for many of them survival is questionable.

The big excitement is about a 40 mile long Russian convoy of mostly trucks heading for Kiev. Nobody seems to know what is in the trucks? Trucks may be carrying food, ammunition as well as reinforcements for the troops but trucks don’t generally fire missiles and reinforcements to replace wounded and killed has it’s own message?

The Russian ground troops are bogged down and short of supplies. Logistics are a mess notably in fuel supplies and food. Those trucks are making a very long drive and probably will require large amounts of additional fuel to make it to Kiev?

A win for Putin must now include getting rid of the former comedy star (Volodymyr Zelenskyy) who has covered himself in glory so far. A win for Zelenskyy is to have Putin realize he bit off more than the Russian military can swallow (particularly with modern weapons arriving from all over the world) and try to pretend he has completed his mission?

Uh, I don’t think this is a good time for the US to invade Mexico, March break and all that you know? They may arm the really peeved off American students? }};-D

Anymouse

5 Likes

A lovely fantasy but Russia has complete control of the skies. A few aircraft might be able to inflict some damage, but they would soon be reduced to a smoking pile of ash in their own right.

Russia is invading, they’re proud of it, and no one is counter-invading them to stop it. Anyone allowing aircraft to use staging bases in other countries automatically draws themself into the war, and the Ukrainian Air Force is not up to the job of taking the air space back.

I’d love to believe in some crazy wild card strategy success here, but unless Ukraine managed to hide one of the USSR’s nukes someplace and has a way to put it on a truck to Moscow, I don’t see it.

2 Likes

The big excitement is about a 40 mile long Russian convoy of mostly trucks heading for Kiev.

How long has that “huge” convoy been on the road? Two days? Three?

I checked Google maps. From Gomel, Belarus, to Kyiv, by road, is 266km. There is paved road, all the way. Google maps gives normal drive time as 4hrs, 23 minutes. 20mph is a hair better than 32 kph, so at even a modest cruising speed that tanks could manage on their treads, that “huge convoy” could cover the distance in 8 hours.

There is a sequence in “Exodus” where the Jewish militia organizes a “huge convoy” of trucks to intimidate the Arabs. The “huge convoy” is a fake. There are only two men in each truck.

Would an ex-KGB spook organize a huge, fake, convoy, as a psy-op, to get the media nattering and intimidate the Ukrainians?

ah, some thoughtful person uploaded “Exodus” to youtube. The fake truck convoy shows up, headlights blazing and horns honking, at the 3:14:14 mark. “how many men did you bring?” “only two per truck, but, from the outside, it looks like an army”

Exodus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo0uPR_zfxw

Steve

I would remind that, while assistance might be flown in from Poland, the planes need a safe place to land.

And consider what is being donated, mostly MiG-25s. The 25 was designed to intercept B-70s. It can fly very fast and very high, in a straight line. I wouldn’t give two bits for it’s chances against current gen fighters.

Steve

Exodus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo0uPR_zfxw

‘Not available in your country,’ but this one is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHD1Qtapdg

I read the book and it didn’t let it go until I finished it. I’m going to watch the movie.

The Captain

How long has that “huge” convoy been on the road? Two days? Three?

BREAKING NEWS: excuses, excuses, excuses. Note the time stamp. Minutes after I suggested the “huge convoy” is a fake.

March 1, 2022, 11:51 AM
Russia’s 40-mile convoy appears to have bogged down en route to Kyiv;

The 40-mile convoy approaching Kyiv has made little progress because of resistance and a lack of gas and food, according to a senior U.S. Defense Department official who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence findings.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ukrainian-soldiers-ki…

How can a relief convoy be short of fuel and food? What good is a convoy that can’t even sustain itself?

All hail the Potemkin convoy!

Steve

I would remind that, while assistance might be flown in from Poland, the planes need a safe place to land. Combat sorties from Poland are unlikely as that starts a slippery slope with Russian attempts to stop that being interpreted as an attack on a NATO member.

==================================================

I think we will see these sorties from Romania and Poland in the near future.

Jaak

Unless Ukraine managed to hide one of the USSR’s nukes someplace

Interestingly, one of the first sites taken by Russia was the defunct nuclear plant at Chernobyl. When I heard that, it struck me that the background radiation of the area made it a perfect site for hiding a “forgotten” nuke or two (with the understanding that it is unlikely that Ukraine could keep this sort of thing a secret from Russia.

Jeff

3 Likes