United Healthcare – OptumRX Security Issue

About a month ago United Healthcare updated their log in software. Since then I have been locked out, unable to log in. I’ve been through five rounds with the IT experts to correct the problem, but so far no luck.

They provide a security code by email which should allow me to reset password. Enter user name. Set a series of answers to security question. Each time on entering the answers, it tells me something went wrong and to start over. Endless loop.

This is on a Windows 10 laptop (with Intel I5 processor) and on a Windows 11 laptop (new last year).

We have tried Google Chrome and Firefox browsers, cleaning cashe, restarting computer, and even turning off firewall.

I’m using Windows Defender on both machines. They think Defender is blocking OptumRx.com somehow.

Anyone know how to allow OptumRx in Windows Defender.

Or is it merely that their new super security system is not properly vetted and still contains bugs?

They were going to switch to a telephone verification security method as an alternative, but now say that option is after the security questions have been entered and accepted.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Sorry, No. But as a data point I just logged in with no problem and navigated thru the site with no issues. Same Win10(I5)/Defender default setup.

Perhaps try going through the browser on your phone?

No, not the App… open your phone browser, enter the UH website, try to login there?

That will at leaet get you away from Windows Defender?

Just a suggestion.

:alien:
ralph

1 Like

I’m using Windows Defender on both machines. They think Defender is blocking OptumRx.com somehow.

If you are using standard defaults for Windows Defender, then it is not you. There are many/many/many users of that software (Windows and Defender). If that was the problem, they would have massive numbers of login problems from all those users. They do not, so they are guessing. Plus, if you have no problems with other sites, that also means it is likely a site problem.

Not related to your security issue. But being a long time United Healthcare member and user of OptumRx, I say kick them to the curb.

I currently take several maintenance medications. Last year due to a change in prescription I found my copay suddenly jump to $346 for a 90 day supply. This was for a generic med. So I asked my doctor to write a new prescription at the local Kroger’s pharmacy. Then using the GoodRx service I paid $37.50 for the exact same medication. I have since transferred all my Rx’s and use GoodRx instead. Every single Rx costs me less. Usually more than half the cost at OptumRx.

This is what happens when the insurance company owns the pharmacy.

4 Likes

I had exactly the same problem a few months back. I am a Mac use - all software current. I was fortunate enough to have a knowledgable and helpful customer support person. On about the 3rd try, we got into what URL was used to login. That turned out to be my problem.

The URL that works for my wife and I is:

https://www.medicare.uhc.com/aarp

I am going to guess if you don’t have a supplement plan you would drop the “aarp” but that really should not be necessary.

3 Likes

But being a long time United Healthcare member and user of OptumRx, I say kick them to the curb.
. . .

I have since transferred all my Rx’s and use GoodRx instead. Every single Rx costs me less. Usually more than half the cost at OptumRx.

This is what happens when the insurance company owns the pharmacy.

Check your options and make your best choice. I have no copays on the maintenance meds that I currently take when purchased through OptumRX. It is easily the best choice for me. If that changes I would check other options. But it would be foolish to kick them to the curb.

2 Likes

I agree with wolferd1. Have no problems accessing OptumRX, just logged in to double check. I take 3 generic meds. All are free at OptuMRX.

Charlie Brown

The problem shows up if you have to reset your password. Otherwise, usually works fine.

I have AARP Medicare Advantage. My generics are zero co-pay. I have one brand name with a co-pay.