Norton issue

I am trying to renew my Norton subscription. I can’t log in to Norton. It wants a user name. It says (promises?) an e-mail will be sent to my mail, but none comes. Have been poking at it for several days (off and on.)

Any suggestions? (I have exhausted my vocabulary of obscene insults.)

CNC

Any suggestions? (I have exhausted my vocabulary of obscene insults.)

I’m guessing you’re using Norton for anti-virus? If so, just ditch it entirely and let the built-in Windows tools handle things.

8 Likes

I’m guessing you’re using Norton for anti-virus? If so, just ditch it entirely and let the built-in Windows tools handle things.

I support your suggestion. Microsoft Defender is a pretty solid product and it’s free.

2 Likes

I support your suggestion. Microsoft Defender is a pretty solid product and it’s free.

I’ve been using the free version of Bitdefender since before I was forced to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (I’m not yet on Windows 11). I believe Bitdefender supplants some of, if not all of, Microsoft Defender’s functions. Never had a virus or other malware problem as far as I know (going on 6 years now). Any reason to think Bitdefender provides better or worse protection than Windows Defender?

Back in my corporate employee days, Norton was banned from all our systems, McAfee was the defender of choice for our Win NT systems… What I saw on our personal computer was Norton likely caused as many issues as it may have prevented… heavy on the sales pitching at the old Computer Faire and beyond, I’m surprised the even exist today…

Back in my corporate employee days, Norton was banned from all our systems, McAfee was the defender of choice for our Win NT systems… What I saw on our personal computer was Norton likely caused as many issues as it may have prevented

I was a network/PC administrator at work during the period when we were installing early versions of Windows on top of MS-DOS 6 and the Netware network stack.

We eventually were spreading the word around the office that if someone brought in Norton Antivirus and installed it on their desktop machine, we’d come reformat their hard drive and reinstall the OS for them… when we weren’t busy with other stuff. In the meantime they could try to do their jobs on paper.

3 Likes

Certainly Norton earned their negative reputation years ago. I have no idea if it is still deserved but I wouldn’t care to find out the hard way. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the AV built into Windows and have no qualms about suggesting it as an alternative.

Personally, I last reviewed the choices several years ago. At that time I chose Bitdefender, and opted for the paid version. (Prior to that I had been running ESET NOD32 and was happy enough.) I added Malwarebytes, paid version, as a extra level of internet security. In my case I can afford this without giving the price a thought, but others may not be so fortunate.

1 Like