Unpaid workers support the economy ...

… mostly without any support.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/youth-caregivers-pandemic-op…
... There are an estimated 5.4 million children and adolescents in the U.S. providing support to family members who have health conditions. Of these, it is understood that Black and brown children — and, in particular, girls and girl-identifying youth — are disproportionately engaged in family caregiving roles in the pandemic.

These Black and brown girls often live in multigenerational households, sharing their home with parents, siblings, grandparents, and great-grandparents. They are essential workers in their own home, providing care in the form of domestic household chores, intimate care like showering or helping to dress their loved ones, and medicine administration. In households with non-native English speakers, caregiving can include language translation in which children speak or write on behalf of a family member. Even before COVID-19 arrived, youth caregivers looked after their siblings by helping with homework, cooking family meals, engaging in play, and providing companionship. During the pandemic, when parents were occupied with work responsibilities or ill from the virus, the Institute of Women’s Policy Research found Black and brown girls were performing greater amounts of caregiving tasks in the home, particularly for their siblings, than they were before the pandemic and in comparison to other demographic groups.

2 Likes

Waiddagoddernminnit here… since when have basic household chores (clean your bedroom/bathroom, help with dinner, load the dishwasher, fold the laundry, maybe mow the yard) become “unpaid support?” Can I go back and demand wages from my parents? With interest and penalties, of course :wink:

“The Leary’s kid in therapy again. Their lawn looks great, it’s unbelievable!!!”

6 Likes

basic household chores

I think the point is not that they are doing simple household chores, but rather that they are acting as healthcare assistants to elderly or infirm members of their family to the detriment of using their time in a way which can enhance their chances of success (like doing schoolwork, getting a “real” paying job, establishing social relations with others their age, etc.). In short, they have a non-paying time consuming, frequently difficult job which is incremental to what others have.

Jeff

8 Likes

It sounds like you read the linked article.

More like I read it, and the writer (and perhaps the study’s authors, as well) is slanting the article by grouping very typical activities in with the less standard (but being half of a white-asian “mixed marriage,” I can personally attest as being VERY common in other cultures) fare.

8 Likes

mmrmnhrm

Waiddagoddernminnit here… since when have basic household chores (clean your bedroom/bathroom, help with dinner, load the dishwasher, fold the laundry, maybe mow the yard) become “unpaid support?” Can I go back and demand wages from my parents? With interest and penalties, of course :wink:

Ditto here. Mom and dad would owe me a FORTUNE, if they were still around for me to present them my bill.

On the other hand, I might owe them more than double my invoice to them. For the training and fetching up they provided, including thru some very rocky times that were of my own making. Some of my moronic scrapes are painful to recall. But they never wavered. Blunt punishment, to be sure, but I was never showed the door and bid farewell. Can’t honestly I would have been so patient with my own.

2 Likes

More like I read it, and the writer (and perhaps the study’s authors, as well) is slanting the article by grouping very typical activities in with the less standard (but being half of a white-asian “mixed marriage,” I can personally attest as being VERY common in other cultures) fare.

And my opinion is that - in general - children who grow up with some responsibility, PARTICULARLY if that responsibility helps the family generate income, grow up as more responsible and self-confident people.

(In general. We’re talking about humans, so of course there are exceptions.)

(Also, the young doorman at a certain restaurant, who was actually not big enough to be able to open the door, was simply adorable.)

2 Likes

Of these, it is understood that Black and brown children — and, in particular, girls and girl-identifying youth…

Why does everything in America have to be centered on race and gender. I though all people were equal. Guess not.

The Captain

8 Likes

Why does everything in America have to be centered on race and gender. I though all people were equal. Guess not.

We like to tell ourselves we’re beyond race and gender, but we’re not, and it’ll take at least another generation, but more likely two, of actively challenging “the way it’s always been” before we get to where we want to be. Good examples include DW (asian immigrant, teaches in a public school district that is probably 60% Afr-Am, 20% latin, 20% white/asian/other) being accused by a second(!) grader of racism because she used a cartoon music video of kids singing and none were dark-skinned, and cousin (middle-class white, went to magnet schools, teaches in inner-city MSP) constantly dealing with the same issues touched on by “Dangerous Minds” almost 30 years ago. That some subsets of the disadvantaged willingly feed the stereotypes doesn’t help the matter, either.

5 Likes

We like to tell ourselves we’re beyond race and gender, but we’re not, and it’ll take at least another generation, but more likely two, of actively challenging “the way it’s always been” before we get to where we want to be.

It seems illogical to think we can get people to stop focusing on race and gender by demanding that everyone focus on race and gender.

3 Likes

The focus needs not to be on race and gender, but rather on unfair treatment of people based on their race or gender.

I’m sure we can agree that this remains a pervasive problem.

fd

2 Likes

It seems illogical to think we can get people to stop focusing on race and gender by demanding that everyone focus on race and gender.

Not at all … one rarely solves a problem by ignoring it. Current unconscious behavior retains a lot of race and gender prejudices and ignoring this means that behavior will continue as it has been in the past. By being aware of this, we can consciously avoid that behavior and hope to create new patterns without the prejudice.

2 Likes

I’m sure we can agree that this remains a pervasive problem.

In your country maybe.

You can’t heal a wound by scratching the scab.

The Captain

2 Likes

You also can’t cure an infection without draining the pus and attacking its source.

2 Likes