USN Unmanned Carrier Fuel Tanker Drone

US Testing New $20 Million Fuel Tanker Drone in Middle of the Ocean
https://youtu.be/lu0qTox7o7M

intercst

2 Likes

Very cool. But I do wonder why this military information is being posted on the internet. To whose advantage is it to know this information ?

AW

1 Like

Very cool. But I do wonder why this military information is being posted on the internet. To whose advantage is it to know this information ?

To the defense contractors. If the public sees this as “cool”, the public is more likely to support increased defense spending.

intercst

To the defense contractors. If the public sees this as “cool”, the public is more likely to support increased defense spending.

Yes, but probably not without military approval.

I understand why it may be an advantage to let your enemy have some details (like we have nuclear weapons or we have hypersonic missiles), but some things you probably want to keep under your hat.

I don’t understand why you’d want to let this particular info out.

AW

AW

Truth is, there are many thousands of people involved, all of whom have or can convince the GICs that they have a “need to know” status on large big bucks projects. When I worked Test and Eval I was told to take a very smart P&W tech along on a night dipping mission with a diesel boat “target”. He wanted to know how well the Sonar worked. }};-@

He couldn’t understand how I could pick the sub contact out of the clutter on the screen. Later I realize he didn’t have the special modified helmet that allowed me to “hear” the echo as well as see it on the screen. He really should not have been in the bird night dipping! Had we ditched he wouldn’t have made it out and might have prevented me from getting out as well.

Anymouse <invited to a Father’s Day party at the Waeg at a mere $40 a ticket ***>

*** Local Yacht Club

https://www.facebook.com/TheWaeg

1 Like

… but some things you probably want to keep under your hat.

And we don’t discuss those things here - BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW ABOUT THEM! :rofl:

1 Like