We all just got it

glad that was shorter than this post

The communal cell phone buzz

1 Like

It seems, that if you are out of range of a tower, but still get wifi calling at your location…you do not get the alert. That was a stupid oversight, why not use same system that gets texts and calls to me from my internet service???

(Yes, there are still parts of country not covered by cell towers…)

You are not in the alien overflight.

1 Like

I didn’t and my son didn’t!!! We were at the mall, in Macys, and everywhere around us we heard the alert (even on the store speakers), so we instantly pulled our phones out and … nothing. Not the sound and not the visual text box. And we were in a perfectly good signal environment.

When I got home a few minutes ago, my old phones (some iPhone and some Android) that are plugged in and running for various purposes, and all except for two have no cellphone account anymore, all had the popup message and were awake (in other words, had their normal sleep timer disabled due to the popup). Weird.

That is why there is testing!

JimA

2 Likes

Three of us in a small room in Boston and it was so loud we all jumped up, tipping the table, causing a Disaster! albeit a minor one.

d fb

1 Like

Is this a true statement? My alert tone was fairly low volume, noticeable; but not jarringly so. And my iPhone vibrated. Total alert time was maybe 10 or 15 seconds.

JimA

My alert lasted three seconds. The aliens let me go at that point.

1 Like

Based on our posts the actual alert sounds were phone and user dependent. that is good, I think, maybe, mostly.

If I lived in Hawaii coastal, or Sierra foothills, I would make certain the alert would wake the dead. I live in no earthquakes in millions of years and no wood to burn southern bajio of Mexico.

As Fafner says, “Let me sleep.”

david fb

1 Like

How would they know who received the message and who didn’t?

My phone sends a receipt, doesn’t yours?

JimA

I was shopping, phone in hand. The alert appeared, nothing startling, with the test message and a link “ok”. I read the message and tapped “ok”. The message disappeared.

I figured the Chinese had gotten all my info, but remarkably, they haven’t cancelled me, yet.

:non-potable_water:
ralph

If you get cancelled ask for a refund. Their service desk is really really good.

2 Likes

Messages to others sure. But we’re talking about a couple hundred million phones receiving the alert? How would they verify that every available phone actually received the message?

It doesn’t really matter, just curious how they measured success/failure.

Bet they had not thought about that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I suspect that success/failure wasn’t measured by how many phones alarmed and/or messaged. I think the success criteria were more at the systems level - was the EMS (Emergency Management System) able to interface to all the major carriers? Was the EMS able to get the message through to all the major carriers within X seconds? Were the carriers able to pass the message through their own subsystems within Y seconds? And other such measurements.

In a real emergency, they would never depend on every single phone receiving the message, it would be sufficient for ZZ% of phones to receive it, with some sort of minimum required percentage per specific geographic area.

1 Like

The entire thing is set up as pinging. It is not that complicated.