What does it take to become a great investor?

Saul referenced a post by Tinker (https://discussion.fool.com/tinker39s-post-34532153.aspx) that explains why we are able to achieve returns that shouldn’t be possible year after year.

“We are the top 1% of all investors. We do not revert to the mean, never have, and we are not stuck buying the market (thus ensuring mediocrity), and we are not stuck investing in systems.”

But what does it mean to be a great investor? It surely can’t just involve picking the best stocks, anyone can copy what stocks we buy and should earn similar returns…yet why don’t they?

I came across this speech that former hedge fund manager Mark Sellers gave to a class of Harvard MBAs on why most people, including them, have almost no chance of compounding money at 20% or 25% over their careers .

https://moiglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/mark-sellers_you-wa…

He believes that it doesn’t matter what school you went to, how many books you’ve read, or even how many years of experience you have. These are things a lot of people have and can increase your chances of success, but you can’t buy or study your way to becoming a great investor.

This board proves his points. Few people have professional certifications like an MBA or CFA, most of us are self-taught. Most of us read a great deal and also have years of experience but I’d wager that we are not in the top 1% for either of those categories.

So, what does it take to really stand out from the millions of other market participants? Just like a company, the ‘moats’ for investors are structural. They are psychological and hard-wired into your brain and things that even if others knew, they couldn’t copy.

He lists 7 of these traits:

1. Buying while others are panicking and selling while others are euphoric

Sounds simple to do but in practice, it’s hard to buy when it seems guaranteed you’ll lose money just as it’s hard to sell when your stocks continue to climb, especially when you risk falling behind peers.

Remember back in March when our stocks were falling 10-20% day after day? It seemed a stupid decision to even consider buying anything! Even those who timed their sales perfectly before the drop may have missed buying back in before the subsequent run-up. In hindsight, holding and adding when and where we could would have been the best course of action, yet who followed through?

The same applies to selling. Saul mentioned in the Knowledgebase that he sold during the tech bubble as valuations became detached from reality. This was certainly not easy to do in the moment, yet many highly educated and experienced investors could not bear to take money off the table and risk falling behind their peers in performance.

This is the first evidence of a different mindset.

2. Obsessive about playing the game and wanting to win

It’s one thing to enjoy investing, it’s another to live and breathe stocks. “They wake up in the morning and the first thing they think about, while they’re still half asleep, is a stock they have been researching, or one of the stocks they are thinking about selling, or what the greatest risk to their portfolio is and how they’re going to neutralize that risk.” Sellers describes this obsession as sometimes getting in the way of personal relationships as their head is always in the clouds, thinking about their portfolio.

This is also something that cannot simply be learned or taught, you’re either obsessed with something or you aren’t.

3. Willingness to learn from past mistakes

Everyone makes mistakes but what sets some investors apart is their intense desire to recognize, analyze, and learn from their own mistakes rather than simply repressing them. Experience helps by giving you more learning opportunities. This board is not only a great way to share our collective wisdom but also our collective failures.

I can personally relate to this, being in my early 20s and lacking experience. When I started out, I had no one to teach me what to do or what not to do so I naturally made every mistake in the book and lost what was not an insignificant amount of money because of it. Of course, in hindsight those lessons seem to be quite cheap, as ever since I’ve been very disciplined in sticking to my investing philosophy and learning as much as I can, as fast as I can.

4. An inherent sense of risk based on common sense

Sellers gives the example here of Long-Term Capital Management which had a team of 60 to 70 PhDs with sophisticated risk models that failed to realize they were overleveraged and collapsed when the market turned against them.

The world is never stagnant, so why should our portfolios be? Saul is very good at adjusting his allocations to reflect changing confidence levels while keeping the same investment philosophy. Some may label this as momentum investing but I think that is missing the point entirely.

5. Confidence in their convictions and sticking by them even when facing criticism

It’s easy to be bullish on a stock that’s in an uptrend. It’s much harder to be contrarian AND be right. Remember last fall when SaaS valuations collapsed while the market continued to test all-time highs? There were many posts exclaiming that our stocks would take years or even NEVER revert back to all-time highs again. Yet here we are. This could be chalked up to luck as we live in circumstances that are especially favourable to hyper-growth SaaS companies, but it was our investment philosophies that allowed us to take advantage of that ‘luck’ and be where we are today.

6. Keep both sides of their brain working

Quantitative and qualitative are equally important. It pays to both be good at crunching numbers as well as keeping the big picture in perspective and recognize how intangible factors like management quality can influence different outcomes. This is also something I noticed Saul is very good at. He was able to quickly realize that Zoom was going to report massive growth and act accordingly, as well as having the vision to see what Zoom could eventually become and not sell out based on short-term overvaluation.

Sellers notes that the majority of people in finance are left-brain oriented, great at crunching numbers and modelling outcomes, but not so great at seeing the big picture and communicating their thought processes. I studied finance in university, but I would consider myself more right-brain oriented which I found to be quite beneficial. It’s easy to miss the forest for the trees when we place such an emphasis on metrics like EV/S and finance courses don’t really teach you the qualitative side.

7. Keeping your investment philosophy consistent through volatility

Sellers argues that few investors can handle the volatility required for high returns; they can’t handle short-term pain even if it would result in better long-term results. Especially as the amount you have invested grows, it’s difficult to do nothing, let alone average down, in a market crash.

On the flip side, averaging up at all-time highs is something that does not come naturally. We have many biases like anchoring to historical prices “it was $50 a week ago, I’ll wait until it gets back there” or not wanting to sell for a loss, even if in reality, you would be losing both on the underlying investment and the opportunity costs. Yet holding and adding to winners is exactly what results in long-term outperformance.

I read a great Seeking Alpha article on this: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4352387-art-of-not-selling. The author mentions a study that reviewed the historical distribution of 8,000 stocks trading on the NYSE, AMEX, and NASDAQ over 23 years (1983-2006) and found that the best performing 25% of all stocks were responsible for all of the gains.

“The outliers – the stocks that beat the market by 500% or more – are the core drivers of the indexes’ performance. They compensate for the losses generated by the majority of the market. Missing them can lead to a dramatic underperformance, which is what has led many investors to embrace passive investing via mutual funds or broadly diversified ETFs.”

It’s scary to buy these stocks, they all appear overvalued. Yet why shouldn’t they? Why should an asset with fundamentals as rare and unique as DDOG be priced in the same league as the rest of SaaS?

Ultimately, financial education, reading, and investing experience are all important but they’re table stakes and can be copied by anyone. There’s a reason why the vast majority of investors fail to outperform the market over the long run.

The key starts with changing your mindset.

My original thread (https://twitter.com/richard_chu97/status/1274865022976614400…)

Richard

152 Likes

Very insightful.

OR, just follow Saul and his major contributors, which is what the VAST majority of followers of this board do.

Yes, the best investors - including Saul and the leaders - do all 7.

The rest of us mostly just watch and follow. And you’re all really riding Saul’s SaaS wave - which he correctly and brilliantly identified a few years ago.

8 Likes

Great post!

Yes, “fear” can be a big hurdle to overcome – esp. for those of us who happened to come from childhood poverty. In a sense, we’re like depression era people. We have a strong sense for saving along with a fear of debt and risk. Also, some of us really had/have no fallback positions; if we fail, there’s nobody to rescue us.

If I could only go back in time, I’d give my younger self the following financial advice:

1. Forget doing a double STEM major; do one and minor in business. That second degree won’t really matter than much at hiring time and the skills in business classes will position you better for making financial decisions as well as prepare you for job opportunities involving writing proposals, managing people, etc. You’ll know the ‘language of business’.

2. Rather than saying “I don’t know anything about investing” and avoiding it, go out and LEARN. Audit courses at a community college. Get books on getting started with investing. Confront the problem of ignorance, don’t avoid it. [one of my fatal flaws]

3. Realize that even if you make a bad investment, you’ll lose something but almost certainly not lose everything. (I know that sounds simple/trivial to almost all here, but…)

4. Ignore people who say “renting is throwing away money”; they don’t realize that having a mortgage is paying rent on the money you borrowed for the home. (Besides, you’d really be better off addressing #2 than cutting grass, fixing house problems, worrying about the HOA, etc.)

5. You’ll always hear about great stock tips that work, but less about those that don’t.

16 Likes

Very insightful.

OR, just follow Saul and his major contributors, which is what the VAST majority of followers of this board do.

Yes, the best investors - including Saul and the leaders - do all 7.

The rest of us mostly just watch and follow. And you’re all really riding Saul’s SaaS wave - which he correctly and brilliantly identified a few years ago.

It’s even better if you learn for yourself (at your own pace and your own tolerance, of course). It can be with part or all of your holdings. It doesn’t matter. The point is to try.

Saul has very freely provided a tackle box and baited the first hook. This board works best when individuals learn to cast into the water for themselves. That ultimately leads to a bigger catch for all of us.

41 Likes

So, Hewitt, perhaps Mark who is the author of original speech analyzed by Digized was not applying his own 6th trait that well? He was not flexible enough and kept huge position in losing business for long period of time?

I’m not criticizing anyone. I’ve read many such general and motivational essays, books, speeches etc on investing. The bottom line is - investing is hard, there is no silver bullet, the “art“ part of the investing is perhaps more important than the “science” part. Luck plays HUGE role.

One of the reasons I admire Saul is his mental flexibility. Why few years ago he was able to change his style and such person like Mark was not?

And I don’t agree with Mark that investing is not trainable. This is a trainable art, definitely. Yes, one could have some inborn pre-dispositions as to some sort of a way of making money in the market. But nowadays market is so diverse and there are so many ways to invest and trade that market could allocate many different styles and characters. Investing is BY AND LARGE trainable, but of course there are a lot of general traits that should support it like persistence, curiosity etc.

Last point I wanted to make - it’s GOOD to give a thought to philosophical and theoretical concepts in investing. It helps to keep perspective, helps to keep proper mentality etc. BUT folks, don’t overemphasize this. WE INVEST IN WINNERS and we will continue doing that. And we will be beating the market as we are after 4% of the stocks which ARE delivering ABOVE AVERAGE returns to investors. I personally prefer reading DATA containing articles like this one https://seekingalpha.com/article/4354028-hidden-traps-may-be… compared to general motivational speeches. Perhaps I’ve read too much of them in the past.

Best regards,
V

4 Likes

Here’s the key: most the % return from an stock index is from a small number of stocks. e.g. most return comes of SP500 comes from around 90 stocks. This is an example of Pareto principle in real life. The key is identify those stocks. The simple idea is that those stocks are high growth stocks and their stock price goes up steadily up over years… I don’t know why most people don’t realize this. The indexers stuck their head in the sand and will tend to attack anyone who try to pick winning stocks.

Here’s the key: most the % return from an stock index is from a small number of stocks. e.g. most return comes of SP500 comes from around 90 stocks. This is an example of Pareto principle in real life. The key is identify those stocks. The simple idea is that those stocks are high growth stocks and their stock price goes up steadily up over years… I don’t know why most people don’t realize this. The indexers stuck their head in the sand and will tend to attack anyone who try to pick winning stocks.

I disagree.
To be a great investor, it takes a lot of learning, work, reading, thinking.
Many people aren’t passionate about investing and would rather spend their time on things they are passionate about.
If you have a vocation you enjoy, there is nothing wrong with investing a big part of your savings and retirement into index funds. Being average will get you to retirement goals (historically) and my best guess is it will keep on working. Most indexers I’ve met don’t attack anyone, they just go about their business and check their statements a few times a year. A good example of a smart indexer that just goes about his business is Morgan Housel.

1 Like

<iTo be a great investor, it takes a lot of learning, work, reading, thinking.

Reading is one of the traits Buffet and Munger called out as to why it has taking them so long to identify successors. They rarely if at all come across anyone who invests in reading anywhere close to what Warren and Charlie put into reading.

Ant

2 Likes

Reading is one of the traits Buffet and Munger called out as to why it has taking them so long to identify successors. They rarely if at all come across anyone who invests in reading anywhere close to what Warren and Charlie put into reading.

I think you are highlighting the outstanding value of this board. There are several hundred astute and well m informed individuals doing a great deal of reading and recapitulating the essence here.

There is no way to properly value this service.

Cheers

8 Likes

I hope this is not too OT for this board. Thanks for posting this. It was interesting, and had several truths I have learned over the years. I think point #2 was the one thing I don’t do. I’m not obsessive about it. In fact, I prefer that I don’t have to think about my portfolio too much. I try to pick great companies, and then let them run on autopilot. I pay attention to the news and releases, but I don’t wake up in the morning thinking about them. When researching new companies (to me) I obsess about digging into them. But once satisfied, I buy and mostly forget.

I can’t claim the results some denizens here have achieved, but I generally beat the market consistently. So I’m happy. But always open to learning new things! Which this board is very good for.

Again, thanks for the thought-provoking post.

1poorguy