What REIT(s) to Sell?

I am used to people posting on the board what they have bought or sold and then getting a lot of feedback on what they had done. I thought that I would post what I am thinking about doing and get the feedback before making up my mind.

A year ago, I bought three REITs in a taxable account and would like to sell some of them, but I limit how much I take in capital gains early in the year so I limited how much I will sell.

The three REITs were AHT, LXP, and CORR. All were bought at what I thought were very cheap prices, but are no longer that cheap due to appreciation. They all went long-term last week.
My cap gain on CORR approximately equals my cap gain on both AHT and LXP, so I could sell 1) AHT & LXP, 2) all my CORR, or 3) half my CORR and either AHT or LXP.

The fundamentals and my opinion of each are:

CORR – An energy infrastructure REIT that primarily owns pipelines.

Price - $36.04 FFO $4.04 (latest quarter x 4) Price/FFO – 8.92x Yield - 8.34%

Pros – 1) With who is being appointed to various cabinet positions traditional energy looks poised for a few good years; 2) Still the cheap by many matrix and still the highest yielding.

Cons – 1) Everyone is aware of who is being appointed to the administration and the positives are priced in and perhaps this give CORR more downside than the others; 2) This is one type of REIT where I suspect GAAP EPS night be superior to FFO; 3) Over the last ten years CORR’s share price is down about 45%.

LXP – A single tenant REIT with long term leases and a varied portfolio consisting mostly of office and and industrial properties.

Price - $10.67 FFO - $1.08 (latest qtr x 4) Price/FFO – 9.88x Yield – 6.54%

Pros – 1) Has successfully gone through a recent period with lots of lease renewals; 2) Fairly diversified; and 3) Will benefit most from periods of moderate economic growth and moderate inflation.

Cons – 1) Will not perform well, compared to most other REITs, during periods of higher inflation – typically considered goof for REITs; 2) On recent leases and renewals it is often getting only 2 percent annual rent escalators instead of the 3% it used to routinely get; 3) Also susceptible during periods of recession – it got killed during 2007-2009 and is still down about 45% since early 2007.

AHT – Hotel REIT

Price - $7.94 FFO - $1.60 (lastest quarter x 4) Price/FFO – 4.96x Yield – 6.11%

Pros – 1) Should benefit the most if the economy improves significantly and probably should do the best if inflation picks up, i.e. short leases. 2) Perhaps the cheapest of the three in my opinion. 3) REVPAR was up 3.4% in the 3rd qtr(latest) and up 4.4% in hotels not under renovation

Cons – 1) Economic sensitivity of hotels, 2) What seems to me to be the historic poor performance of hotel REITs, AHT is up only about 7% over the last ten years, but the other two REITs on this list are down about 45% over the same time. 3) They seem to be increasing leverage and the yields at which they issue preferreds 7.375% indicates they are risky.

Opinions on any of these three?

3 Likes

Hi Valuemongeragain.

I have no opinion about any of those three REITs. I will say that - based on your Pros and Cons - I’m not in a rush to add them to my Watch List, but I recognize you’re not feeling bullish about them right now, so your Cons may be more focused than your Pros. All that said, when I look at my REIT holdings in general, I feel as if the sector is beaten up, and I’d be more inclined to be a near-term buyer than a near-term seller.

If your mind is made up that you want to sell and are strictly looking for opinions on which of the three to sell, I respect that, and you can ignore my questions that follow.

Otherwise, I would ask: Why sell your REITs now? Do you plan on buying better REITs to replace them, making the sales about improving company quality, rather than a sector allocation decision? I’ll admit that part of me is asking rhetorically, because I think REITs are cheap right now. But part of me recognizes I have a significant exposure to REITs (they’re kind of my portfolio’s bond replacement, since I don’t like bonds), so I should really listen carefully to reasons why you want to exit REITs.

Before this thread gets too many responses, I should mention that The Motley Fool has a board specifically designed for discussing REITs. I suspect that Saul would be OK with a few informed responses to this post, but he’s requested in the past that REIT discussions go to the REIT board, since (a) REITs aren’t “Saul stocks”, and (b) you’ll probably get better-informed answers on the REIT board. But I think we all “get” that there are smart investors here, so this is not a bad place for such a question, s long as we don’t let the thread get “out of hand”.

I hope my questions are helpful, and not just making the thread one post longer…

Thanks and best wishes,
TMFDatabaseBob (long: a handful of individual REITs and a long-held REIT mutual fund)
See my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFDatabasebob/info.aspx
Peace on Earth

6 Likes

Hi Valuemongeragain
Agreed with DBBob about posting over on the REIT board. What I am hearing is an opinion that BDCs and PE who invest in very similar assets as your REITs are likely to do better in a rate rising scenario. You should compare notes with BuyandWin who is in similar (EVA/HASI etc) high yielding BDC/PE plays as well as REITs. I do hold REITs here in Singapore which are yielding 6-10% but on the US exchanges I have much more invested in BDCs and PE players (Monroe, BX, KKR, Medley, HASI, EVA etc). From a sector PoV, I like infrastructure especially now with a Trump win (I’m also in C corp plays like KMI, HollyFrontier), Healthcare for obvious long term growth, Data Centres etc. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near Retail or Mall REITs in the US or anywhere else in the developed world no with eCommerce taking over.
Ant

I got interested in REITs a while ago, but after looking at a few I realized that they are a whole different critter. I didn’t understand the jargon. I didn’t know how to even approach valuation. I pretty much gave up on them. I figured it would take far too much time and energy in order to get smart about how to evaluate them so I decided to just stick to companies that sold a product or service.

That being said, I do have a very small position in a REIT which I consider speculative. The company is Innovative Industrial Properties (IIPR). They build ready to go indoor growing environments for marijuana. All the environmental controls and hydroponics are in place. Anyone wanting to grow marijuana can purchase/lease a property and start growing product without having to research all the legal, security and environmental requirements.

As more and more states move to legalize medicinal and recreational marijuana it seems like this business has no where to go but more and more growth which I think will translate to increasing stock price.

But like I said, I don’t really know how to evaluate REITs and I only hold a very small speculative position in this REIT.

I don’t imagine that helps you with your decision around what to do about the three REITs you currently hold. If I were in you position, I would most likely sell all of them as quickly as possible depending on the impact of taxes.

I got interested in REITs a while ago, but after looking at a few I realized that they are a whole different critter. I didn’t understand the jargon. I didn’t know how to even approach valuation. I pretty much gave up on them. I figured it would take far too much time and energy in order to get smart about how to evaluate them so I decided to just stick to companies that sold a product or service.

I’m 83 years old. i started driving a car when I was 17. So I’ve been driving for about 66 years. And the only things I know about a car is to put gas gas in in,change the oil, and drive it. I know the Telephone # of the Car dealer that fixes my car. I haven’t got a clue about what goes on under the hood and more important, I don’t care. However, that doesn’t mean I should not derive the benefits of driving a car.
You might want to re-think your position on REIT’s.
b&w

8 Likes

…I haven’t got a clue about what goes on under the hood and more important, I don’t care. However, that doesn’t mean I should not derive the benefits of driving a car.

You might want to re-think your position on REIT’s.

b&w,

Are you saying one can/should invest in REITs without knowing much about them? That sounds kind of dangerous.

I for one have enjoyed your presence on this board and am considering investing more in income vehicles, as you do, as your returns seem pretty stellar. I do know though, that I don’t know the first thing about REITs and wouldn’t be comfortable investing in them without more knowledge.

Just saying the car analogy doesn’t seem to hold here for me as I’m very comfortable driving my car without much mechanical knowledge of it, yet would not be comfortable putting money in any investment that I don’t really know much about.

1 Like

Are you saying one can/should invest in REITs without knowing much about them? That sounds kind of dangerous.

No, I didn’t mean that. you dismissed REITS because you weren’t familiar with them. i believe one or more REITs would be a positive in any and all portfolios. My goal was to get you to think about them again and maybe it might help your portfolio. Didn’t mean for you to invest in something you know nothing about. I thought you might re-evaluate after some investigation.

good luck
b&w

No, I didn’t mean that. you dismissed REITS because you weren’t familiar with them. i believe one or more REITs would be a positive in any and all portfolios. My goal was to get you to think about them again and maybe it might help your portfolio. Didn’t mean for you to invest in something you know nothing about. I thought you might re-evaluate after some investigation.

Understand, b&w, that’s what I thought you meant.

FWIW, I was not the original poster that you answered with the car analogy (that was Brittlerock, I think), I was just commenting on the car analogy you offered, that at least in my mind, it didn’t quite say what you were trying to say.

I pretty much gave up on them

The more I look at how various sectors perform, how diversification sort of minimizes risk, etc and given a very long time out performance of REIT sector, and the evolution of ETF’s with a dramatically low fees, I would suggest think ETF’s where you have no insight. Case in point, I have no idea about world markets, when I hear how emerging markets are cheaper compared to US markets, I just bought VWO this a huge $30+B ETF, like wise I also bought a small position in EEM and brazilian ETF (I don’t even remember their ticker :)).

I am also thinking of buying INDA or some other ETF to get exposure to Indian market.

3 Likes

I haven’t got a clue about what goes on under the hood and more important, I don’t care.

This is what I call a false analogy.

When I buy a stock, I do not pretend to suppose I need to have sufficient information to run the company. But when buying a stock (or a car) I like to gather sufficient information in terms that I understand as to whether or not the car is reliable, what relative mileage I can expect, what the historical service costs are compared to similar vehicles, future resale value, etc.

What I was trying to convey (maybe not too clearly) is that I don’t know how to compare one REIT to another, let alone an alternative investment in a vehicle(pun intended) I better understand such as a company that fits the mold of a “Saul” stock.

Not for a moment do I doubt that there are some REITs that are “good” investments. What I am saying is I simply don’t understand how to assess which are good and which are not. I happen to be 70 years old, and I’ve never driven nor purchased a front loader. Could I learn? Sure. Would it take time and energy that could be better spent evaluating investment opportunities that I better understand right now, like today? Of course it would. While I clearly understand and concede there are some REITs that are excellent investments, I haven’t a clue about how to compare them, one against another, let alone compared to alternatives I already better understand.

But, even if I took the time to learn how to evaluate REITs would I consistently make better investments than I make right now with the knowledge that I already have? I doubt it. But if I spent the same time and energy in gaining knowledge related to investment decisions I already know something about, something in which I already have years of experience (that would be good and bad decisions) would I be further ahead in the investment game?

I’ll let you answer that question for yourself.

1 Like

I’m 83 and didn’t start truly investing until I retired at 70. I had the need to learn and invest. This is what I learned.
You might have different needs or different skills. I’m sure you will make the right decision for you
good luck
b&w