Yellen on overturning Roe

<It’s about controlling women and THAT has huge negative macro economic implications.

You got that right!

I’d go a bit further. I can’t see a reason to rule out a class issue here. Controlling women is certainly a part of it. But controlling the poor is also a part.

I don’t think anyone is seriously trying to prevent women from traveling across state lines to get an abortion. And we know that some states will continue to allow abortions, and even encourage those from states where abortion is illegal to come to get an abortion.

But that travel is not cheap. And since health insurance is at least partially regulated at the state level, insurance may not cover the procedure, let alone the necessary travel.

So circumventing the prohibitions on abortion is something that will mainly be available to those with sufficient income.

We’ve already determined that carrying unwanted pregnancy to term is likely to be a net negative from a macro econ perspective. And this just gets worse for the poor.

There’s some old and crude saying about keeping women barefoot and pregnant. This is just a manifestation of that disgusting concept in real life.

–Peter

2 Likes