You can always Go Back!

I will read a few specific posters on whatever topic they write, even if it is a topic I would otherwise not be interested in. The vast majority of other posts are, to me, most often a waste of time. Unless there is a way to screen through posts to see the names I am interested in, then I will probably be joining Mungofitch in leaving this forum after more than 25 years. I suspect these discussion groups will become a shadow of what they have been.

4 Likes

On this platform you can follow a particular Fool and see all the posts from the Fools you follow all in one place, see my detailed description of this feature here:

And there are fools who I don’t want to read everything they write, only on certain topics. You removed the ability for the brief daily scan of boards I like.

1 Like

You can find a feed of just posts by your favorite folks under your profile:

https://discussion.fool.com/u/**your-name-here**/follow/feed

Vicki

3 Likes

You still don’t get it.
Read what he said: “there are fools who I don’t want to read everything they write, only on certain topics. You removed the ability for the brief daily scan of boards I like.”

5 Likes

Vicki,

Have you looked at this problem/dilemma?

As of now we are presented with a all or nothing choice, which encourages users to completely hide their profile. It’s seemingly impossible to follow a hidden profile and it also breaks the only feasible way to list a user’s posts:

(https://discussion.fool.com/u/laffisloon/activity)

(@laffisloon: Hope you don’t mind me using a link to your profile as example. Image upload seems broken atm.)

I believe this isn’t hard to address, and should be top priority imho. I could write an essay of the implications of those public stats, explaining why I would advice people to hide their profile. I’m currently making an exception, since it would break useful functionality and would be difficult to reach out to users at a later date - i.e. would result in profiles staying hidden for a reason that no longer exists.

3 Likes

I totally agree this is a massive failure. It s clanky as the old one, it does not have any future that are up to standard nowadays. If you have to do something that is as bad as the previous one, then just stick the former.

1 Like

I hope somebody tabulates usage since the change (on real stuff, not the increased usage related to complaints) - and please, if they ever return to the good old days will someone email me? Because I’m not coming back to this POS

1 Like

absolutely horrible horrible website. I am canceling my subscription

I’m curious about which of the web sites you have been visiting. (They all have their detractors (and fans), each for their own reasons.)

You posted this on the free discussion boards site, https://discussion.fool.com/. No subscription is required to read and post here.

There is also the premium discussion boards site, https://community.fool.com/, for those with paid subscriptions to one or more Motley Fool services.

Then there are the regular web sites. Free content is at https://www.fool.com/. Premium content you paid for can be found at https://www.fool.com/premium.

I am not sure how to email you on this system, but since you are about to leave permanently, you can return to the good old days. Many of the best authors, who otherwise were on the edge of disappearing together, have already - thankfully - come back together again:

www.shrewdm.com

2 Likes

Don’t you mean Shrewdom: A Merry and Shrewd Investing Research and Education Community

2 Likes

Thank you! I corrected the url.

— Manlobbi

Thanks! Happy New year!!
I will gladly give it a try.
Best wishes,
Michael

Manlobbi,

I post on your board under an different handle than I do here, and I’d post more on your board if I could do some of the same things I could here, namely upload charts and endlessly go back to to re-edit my own posts.

Arindam

2 Likes

Just returned from a very long (Fri-Tue) weekend up the coast, I open this browser and see all of 5 unread topics… 4 of the 5 of no real interest, and none in categories of interest in the past, not so much any more… It seems like there are maybe 20 posters carrying the load, maybe 5, actually… What a sad mess that’s been created here… A few bells n whistles, sure, but TMF has lost what was once a much larger community. Really a sad mess, as the OP noted… And beyond that, all the old content also vanished… While there are alternates, their activity is not anywhere near what was, and I doubt many will bookmark them either… Not all of us have the interest, need, for investment games, those choices were made decade back… It, MF, does not look like any sort of success, very sad to see… weco

2 Likes

Some boards seem to have a lot less traffic, but some are still very lively, so it isn’t uniform. I have also started seeing a few people again that I hadn’t seen since the switch.

Some are busy, yes, but mostly fending off borderline arguments from what used to be “Ignored Fool Yaps”, so now Hidden, of zero interest… Tiresome, in fact… The Dismiss button works well at times…

I can add some variation of this at shrewdm.com at some stage. The earlier TMF boards did have some charm in not allowing post editing in they it ensured authors really took care when posting, and most edit wishes were generally either appending text which can be done be just replying to your own post and adding the additional detail, or correcting a really small errors that people tend to “read through” (autocorrect as they read). Somehow the system worked surprisingly well. There is a feeling of vulnerability of the author when reading which somehow adds something in an empathetic sense.

As for graphs, you can upload the graph to Dropbox and then copy-paste the url into your post. This isn’t as fast but some of the authors do like the cleanliness of the earlier TMF boards. Still I can add some image uploading later but I would do it carefully to keep long term hardware resources (including bandwidth) down.

— Manlobbi

1 Like

I would also note that boards can look less busy than they are. In this new system, one might go to a board and see 5 topics with unread posts, but each one might have 5 to 10 unread posts. On the old board this would be 25 to 50 post instead of seeing 5. Then, when all the unread posts have been read, one can discover that there are 5 new posts, some of which already have replies. Looks like less, but is actually quite a bit.

1 Like