Zoomtopia-Initial Thoughts

I went into Zoomtopia with the burning question of what is act two for this company?

I am prone to hyperbolic recollections of events, so the following should be taken with a grain of salt. Please correct me if my notes are inaccurate.

Despite the large number of posts regarding uses of Zoom in these first 8 months of COVID, with limited attention on the SDK side of the business I wondered; Could Zm subsume the enterprise space now taken by YouTube, Slack, Shopify, Google App Store, Square? Could Zoom be voice enabled on all my screens at home; would all of these enterprises allow Zoom to take up so much space in our lives today. And why would this persist necessarily into post COVID times?

Well after one and a half hours of watching Zoomtopia today, the answers are: yes and because what wouldn’t take over when Mindshare is amazing and AI/ML analytics are combined with video inputs? Zoom is able to provide responsiveness To customer needs in real-time (despite of or because of the excellent security Zoom offers, beginning next week:end encryption available to both free and paid users).

In the first hours of Zoomtopia there were a lot of announcements for next week! I took notes; but, I just can’t believe what my notes say (I wish I had some video. If I’d clicked onto the record function on the Zoom call I would).

Zoom announced development of their own new verticals as OnZoom: Sharing (YouTube-like),Collaboration (Slack-like “workflows”), Marketplaces (Shopify-like), Zaaps (AppStore),Payments (Square-like). In these new verticals Zoom also announced advancements in their SDK abilities enabling for easier development of businesses that can take advantage of the advanced analytics Zoom offers. One example was being able to take a pulse rate and temperature with Zooms Hardware, advanced audio and AI, for tele health.

I wondered if Slack would be better able to integrate Zoom or if Zoom as able to become a real platform itself. Well for me, that question was answered today.

What are your thoughts?
Zoom on,
long Zoom,

Jason

28 Likes

wondered if Slack would be better able to integrate Zoom or if Zoom as able to become a real platform itself. Well for me, that question was answered today.

My employer uses products from many of the companies we discuss here, including Zoom, Slack, Okta, Smartsheet, and Atlassian. We integrated Zoom with Slack last year. It takes only a “/zoom” command in a slack conversation to start a Zoom meeting for all in that thread. Easy, fast, and it “just works”. Could Zoom replace Slack altogether? I wouldn’t bet against it.

Tiptree, Fool One guide, long ZM

6 Likes