12-volt battery problems

Why Is My Electric Vehicle Dead? Check the 12-Volt Battery
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/why-is-my-electric-vehicle-dead-check-the-12-volt-battery/ar-BB1jGetf
In some new electric-car models, these 12-volt batteries are dying repeatedly and unexpectedly, leaving drivers stranded and needing a jump to get going again. It isn’t clear how widespread the issue is, but it has taken many owners by surprise, led to numerous complains online and affected some high-profile EV launches in recent years from major car brands such as Hyundai, Rivian and Cadillac. It has also prompted at least two regulatory probes.

…the 12-volt batteries are “almost always on” and deplete faster than those in gas-powered vehicles, said Amos Kumar, an industry analyst at research firm S&P Global Mobility. Some car companies have also struggled with software glitches and other hardware problems that have accelerated the drain on the battery, even when the car is in park…More frustrating for consumers is that these batteries are dying suddenly in nearly new EVs–some of which have only recently hit the market.

DB2

5 Likes

Turns out, the problem wasn’t with the main battery, but the smaller, low-voltage one—the kind that has been found under the hood for decades.

Initially the 12 volt batteries were lead-acid which do have short lifespans but have been replaced by lithium ion ones. The article does not mention this.

Tesla

Vehicles manufactured in Gigafactory Shanghai after approximately October 2021, and in the Fremont Factory after approximately December 2021, are equipped with a Lithium-Ion low voltage battery.

The Captain

4 Likes

Half the story is better to make the point. Typical. It is about being very easily used.

Do you know if Hyundai et al. are switching to low voltage lithium ion batteries?

DB2

Sorry, no, I don’t. I don’t do much in detail research but I do pick up lots of odds and ends which I remember when prompted. Then I use Google to bring me up to date.

It seems not…

The Captain

4 Likes