40 Pushups & Heart Disease

A quick and easy study to determine your risk of getting heart disease with in the next 10 years.

https://www.studyfinds.org/men-more-than-40-push-ups-heart-d…

A few interesting points. The 40 pushup test was more predictive than a sub maximal treadmill stress test, surprising that a bodyweight strength measurement would have predictive cardiac results. The initial study group was on a 1104 firemen with average BMI of 28.7 and 40 years old - so the average is potentially overweight/nearly obese, surprised that such an active occupation can potentially be out of shape. Can’t be extrapolated to women nor other age groups yet.

So with the recent poll here we know METAR skews old, but can you do 41 pushups?

JLC - can do 50 in a minute

5 Likes

When I was 16 I could do 50 and clap on the 1st 3. Getting back into morning calisthenics and find I can still do 22 in two sets at 63. Intend to work that up a bit.

1 Like

P.S.
Joined Police Explorers at 16 and was not allowed to do regular pushups. Girls pushups only. I could do more regular pushups than half the guys. I quit.

1 Like

I couldn’t do 40 pushups when I was 18 and weighed 156 lbs.

PSU

5 Likes

P.S.
Joined Police Explorers at 16 and was not allowed to do regular pushups. Girls pushups only. I could do more regular pushups than half the guys. I quit.

Reminds me of a fitness class during college. First week we were going around doing baseline tests, one person at a time in front of a class of 30. Came around to the pullup bar, this one girl/young woman/fitness studette knocks out 13 while most of the girls could barely do a 10 second hang and none of the guys could do 10. Everyone turns around a looks at me. I did 21 but was killing myself to make sure it wasn’t close. Vanity and testosterone is a crazy combo.

JLC

I could never do pushups since I lack the upper body strength. I do pushups with my hands on a desk top.

I can do 40 squats or 100 crunches which use my stronger leg and abdominal muscles.

I think that aerobic exercise is also a good indicator of cardiovascular fitness. I would contend that anyone who can do the linked video without feeling short of breath probably doesn’t have a cardiovascular problem. It’s the warmup for an hour of Zumba dancing. I’m 68 and I do Zumba or HIIT 5 days a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRSdQaztSI

The ability to move quickly, backwards as well as forwards and side to side is also of practical value. These coordinated movements help prevent falls, which are a large factor in geriatric disability.

I wonder how many of those chubby firefighters could move fast enough to do the video even if their hearts are strong. :wink:

Wendy

3 Likes

JLC - can do 50 in a minute

I managed 41 in a minute.

Thought I was in better shape. New goal: 50.

1 Like

I did 35 in much less than a minute.

I have lost 54 lbs in the last 14 months. Things are looking up.

I do not need the metformin or statin any longer, but take them to clean my arteries a bit. I have a very smart female doctor I trust.

In the months to come I will lose about 35 lbs more.

3 Likes