A Big Welcome to newbie investors

A Big Welcome to newbie investors

I really want to welcome you warmly to the board. I have received literally hundreds of posts and private emails thanking me, and our core of great posters, for having changed their lives, and those of their families, so much that they would never have believed it possible. That warms my heart and it’s one of the side benefits of the board.

However, this is a board for the discussion of high-growth stocks, above all in concentrated portfolios. If we wander off into 20-post threads about portfolio management each time a new investor comes onto the board and asks the same question, it damages our wonderful board.

So for gosh sakes, read the Knowledgebase! There are whole sections there about Portfolio Management and about General Approach and Philosophy. And there are some other useful posts linked to just below the KB

I was also concerned about some poor misguided souls, who apparently knew nothing about what our board is about and had just wandered in, giving Maestro (our “26 year old newbie) some terrible misinformation along with the good advice he was getting from others. For instance someone said he couldn’t imagine any successful investor investing in only 8 to 12 stocks! My God, Chris had just posted about having tripled his portfolio in a year and eight months, and I’ve done the same, and Bear probably as well, and Tinker usually even has fewer positions than that from what I can gather, and Denny said he has just ten positions or so, etc etc.

Even if you are a beginner, please feel free though to post about high growth stocks if you have something to add. Especially if you would like to tell us about your favorite high-growth company. But don’t just say “I like ABC”. Tell us about it, what it does, what you like about it, what is its revenue growth, its profitability or its path towards profitability, its cash flow, recurring revenue, cash to debt, does it have a moat, what is its competition, etc. And if you have a question, don’t ask something like “what is EV/S”. You can Google that in a second. Intelligent questions about one of the stocks being discussed though will be welcomed, I can guarantee.

So again, Welcome, please stay and contribute to the board. That’s one way you will learn. Let me assure you that researching a company and telling us about it will open your eyes to what you can do.

Best wishes,

Saul

77 Likes

So again, Welcome, please stay and contribute to the board. That’s one way you will learn. Let me assure you that researching a company and telling us about it will open your eyes to what you can do.

Posting is a great way to learn because it forces one to think through what one is writing.

Write it, edit it a couple of times using the “Preview Message” button, then either submit if good or trash if not. One even learns from stuff one trashes!

Denny Schlesinger

20 Likes