A Great Start to Obi-wan

This new series on Disney+ is off to a great start with the excellent handling of the beginning story of Obi-wan Kenobi and the introduction of some new characters into the story line. They definitely have us hooked.

Walt

3 Likes

Great to hear this, Walt. Does this take place on Tatooine? Or does it take place on multiple planets? If on Tatooine, do we see the Mos Eisley cantina?

It seems as if many are enjoying this. Disney has done well with these “Wars” series.

Yes, yes, and haven’t noticed the Cantina yet. These individual episodes are of a quality that they could be stiched together as a movie release.

The level of the cinematography, acting and plot difinitely make this a worth while series.

We are certainly getting our monies worth with our Disney Plus subscription.

Walt

3 Likes

Hey, Walt, this series is not really an origin story but a bridge story. It picks up with Obi-Wan in hiding after Episode III and before the Luke, Leia and Han Solo meet up in Episode IV. As for the new characters, they are not actually new if you have followed the animated series The Clone Wars or Star Wars Rebels, which introduced the Inquisitors, force-sensitive servants of the newly minted Darth Vader.

The new series Andor in August and the 2023 Asoka Tano will continue to explore this era, while The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett will continue to explore the post-Empire period.

Fuskie
Who notes the period between Episode III and Episode IV on the Skinwalker timeline, as well as between Episodes VI and VII are both fertile ground for new stories bringing together old friends…

Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I’ll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), Blackbaud (BLKB)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie’s and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu…
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

1 Like

CMF_Fuskie,

At the beginning of Episode One they start with Obi-Wan as a padawan in training when the school is attacked by Storm Troopers and the students have to make an escape. Then there is also a flashback showing Obi-Wan choosing the Skywalkers, father and later son, as trainees. Finally, you also see Leia and Luke being placed with their foster families.

Great background stories.

OTFoolish

1 Like

I’ve read that Darth Vader is pretty tough in this one. I’m confused whether it is helmet-Vader or prequel-Vader with the actor. Do we see both in it? Because I thought the actor, Hayden-whatever (sorry, can’t spell his name at the moment), was supposed to be in this with no helmet. But what I’ve read, about Vader using Jones’s voice, I can’t square that with anything but the helmet version. (Articles about the series occasionally pop up, but they are on those badly-written web/fan-sites where you can’t figure out what’s going on, and beyond that, I really am not a close follower of “Wars”)

It almost appears as if Vader is the big star here of the series…if there were no Vader, would it be as good, do you think?

Darth Vader is portrayed by Hayden Christensen and voiced by James Earl Jones. There have been unrecognizable pictures of a disfigured Anakin but for the most part, Vader has been suited up and ready to strangle. Christensen is providing the carriage and light-saber dueling talents while Jones continues to deliver Vader’s villainous lines.

The story is pretty simple. The Emperor has tasked Vader with eradicating any vestige of the Jedi, including younglings that might grow up to become one with the Force. Of course, while the Emperor fears being dethroned by some vestige of the Jedi order, we all know (spoiler alert) it was Anakin continuing to live within Vader’s shell that ended up his undoing.

Back to the story, while Vader has created an Inquisitor army of powerful dark-side embracing force-sensitives, his singular obsession is tracking down his former Master and getting revenge for what he sees as Obi-Wan’s betrayal and the death of his precious Padame. The Inquisitors, fueled by an ambition for power, are each others own worst enemies as they undercut (and cut through) each other to gain favor (and powers) with Vader.

Meanwhile, Obi-Wan Kenobi has been in hiding on Tatooine for a decade after the destruction of the Jedi order. He is aware of Vader as the Emperor’s side Sith, but presumes his former apprentice, Anakin, died on Mustafar, unaware that he was rescued by the Emperor and now brings terror to the galaxy as Darth Vader.

He only knows that for his own safety and to protect the child Luke, he must stay under the radar. The story of the Disney+ series is how one especially ambitious Inquisitor draws him out and his struggle to rediscover the Jedi he used to be.

Fuskie
Who notes Vader has appeared in Star Wars Rebels a number of times, and is always a fan favorite but this series is clearly a Ewan McGregor vehicle, as he is an Executive Producer and Hayden Christensen is not…

Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I’ll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), Blackbaud (BLKB)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie’s and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu…
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

3 Likes