A view of Long Beach

I’ve just spent a day sailing into Long Beach Ca.'s port, a day of sojourning there and then a sail-away. At no time was I able to see more than a small handful of ships waiting. There have been times, such as sailing into Singapore during a Cantago season, when I’ve counted dozens (hundreds?) of ships in a one hour period, but there was no such feeling near Long Beach.

Either the log-jam is an artifact of the past or the ships are scattered way off-shore for some reason or the log-jam around here is over and talking about it is simply being used as a political tool to prove “why” we are experiencing inflation.

My personal opinion is that the financial largess during the COVID years pumped up purchasing far beyond the rate of the normal supply, causing shortages and manufacturers/distributors raised prices because they could (and still sell out their supply of goods).

Jeff

15 Likes

Either the log-jam is an artifact of the past or the ships are scattered way off-shore for some reason…

At Long Beach/LA there are currently (as of 11:55, 2/12/22) 137 vessels in the queuing list. The list is updated twice a day and can be accessed here:
www.pacmms.org/one-page-express/stm/resources/

DB2

5 Likes

At Long Beach/LA there are currently (as of 11:55, 2/12/22) 137 vessels in the queuing list. The list is updated twice a day and can be accessed here:
DB2

Interesting report. Looking at the “CTA” column, it shows several dates that are before today.

CTA = calc. time of arrival

A small fraction of the overdue CTA’s have “Arrived times”, “Check in” times.

Chart is accompanied in the report.

The article link below ~~~60 days old, but looks like its message is still relevant. (This linked article is from DEC2021, but the Marine Report is up to date, per your comments.)

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/its-official-96-container-…

It’s official: 96 container ships are waiting to dock at SoCal ports
12/5/2021

"There were 40 container ships waiting for berths within 40 miles of the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach on Friday. But there were also 56 container ships waiting farther out to sea, putting the actual tally at an all-time-high of 96, according to new data from the Marine Exchange of Southern California.

The Marine Exchange has just unveiled its new methodology for counting container ships waiting outside the 40-mile “in port” zone."

3 Likes

Either the log-jam is an artifact of the past or the ships are scattered way off-shore for some reason

They were moved offshore, something like 100-150 miles, so they aren’t visible from shore.

1 Like

My personal opinion is that the financial largess during the COVID years pumped up purchasing far beyond the rate of the normal supply, causing shortages and manufacturers/distributors raised prices because they could (and still sell out their supply of goods).

My personal opinion is that supply was and still is constrained due to lack of production caused by lack of personnel due to illness and restrictions put in place to reduce illness.
That and price gouging by producers that never let a crisis go to waste.

5 Likes

Too be clear, the ships weren’t moved offshore to prevent visibility but to reduce onshore pollution caused by the idling vessels.

3 Likes

Typically, ships are from the port of LA and Long Beach to Huntington Beach, about 15 miles along the coast. Normally you would have 20 to 30 ships out there all lined up that you should have been able to see. They had to move all the ships out about 40 to 50 miles due to their pollution. I was told that you could see the smoke around the beach areas when they are along the shore. This is the same area were the oil spill was, which was caused by a ship dragging its anchor across the piping. If you are in Long Beach harbor you can’t see most of the ships, but you can see the Queen Mary!

2 Likes

Jeff

In other words the very well off have a lot of extra disposable income.

Jeff,

I don’t know that this is accurate. Don’t know that it isn’t either. But a look into the reduction of goods then the recovery of goods from Asia would add a lot to the supply chain bottle necks by them selves.

Add in a shift from paying for gasoline and other commuting costs as well as the reduction on spend for services and increase in spending for goods and these two would clog the ports without economic stimulus. Of course without economic stimulus the economy would have collapsed and there would be plenty of stuff available.

Cheers
Qazulight

Qaz,

My thoughts on the FED’s $120 billion per month it has been necessary. We needed to get fully up and running.

As for supply chain problems, sometimes yes it matters but other times there are plenty of substitutes. Everyone could Christmas shop. Most kids do not get exactly what they want in a given year regardless.

Either the log-jam is an artifact of the past or the ships are scattered way off-shore for some reason…

DB2

A useful tool for prioritizing the queueing sequence would be to give priority attention to those ships that were scheduled to also pick up containers being exported, in addition to dropping off their containers.

Advertise that ships that were also scheduled to take exported product would be given first in line preferential scheduling.

Besides helping to clear containers slated for export, would incentivize the concept of our need for exports.

Justa concept.

2 Likes

I don’t know that this is accurate. Don’t know that it isn’t either. But a look into the reduction of goods then the recovery of goods from Asia would add a lot to the supply chain bottle necks by them selves.

Add in a shift from paying for gasoline and other commuting costs as well as the reduction on spend for services and increase in spending for goods and these two would clog the ports without economic stimulus. Of course without economic stimulus the economy would have collapsed and there would be plenty of stuff available/

Yep. It’s pretty accurate. Total consumer spending recovered rather quickly after the initial shock. BUT, consumers spent a lot less on services and a lot more on goods. And services don’t require containers, while goods do. Hence more “stuff” coming into the ports.

Add to that, the initial disruption that inhibited about 6 months of goods coming in, and the low slack available in general, and now we are are catch up mode … and will probably be in that mode for a year or two.