Alternatives to gmail...

I’ve been on a PC since 1993. The best email program I’ve had is Protonmail.

https://protonmail.com/

1 Like

I set up an account with protonmail and I also set one up on AOL.com - not using them a lot, but I do check them once in a while…doc

Have you had any other email providers? I so, please share whom?

Why do you think that Protonmail is “the best”? …specifically.

I can say that the spam, in gmail, is almost always correctly put into the spam folder. I have had some legit emails get put there, but I almost always catch them. Had gmail for over 20 years. Yea, )o:… I’m wondering if there are other options, but I prefer to NOT “dive in” without asking some questions.

2 Likes

It’s all about privacy and how important that is to you. I’ve thought about Proton Mail as well, but I have zero problems with gmail. I don’t get spam, I don’t get advertising. Yeah it’s not encrypted and google can read it if they wish. But people I send email to don’t have to jump through hoops to read what I send. Private key, public key? Don’t get how that works. And since I don’t know anyone using an encrypted email client, I can’t exchange messages to see how it works. So never pulled the trigger even though a basic Proton Mail account is free.

Ditto Signal, a encrypted messaging system. I’ve even download it and set it up. But I don’t know anyone using it so can’t test it. I explain it to my family and ‘nope, don’t need it’; so can’t even test on my own family. Valid argument from them is that they all use IPhones whose Imessages are encrypted between users (until it gets backed up to Icloud as I understand it. I don’t backup message to Iclound anyway.

So since I give up this easily, I guess I’m not convinced that enhanced privacy is important to me.

glh
Zero social media accounts; DW does Facebook
I’m 100 times more afraid of Facebook than Google

For me, one of the big plusses of Signal is that there is a desktop version in addition to the phone versions. Much more fun to read and write on the desktop. Nice extras like drag and drop an image or copy and paste it, depending on the source. The sync is amazingly fast.

And signal has a linux client which is very attractive to me. But nobody to talk to who has a Signal account so I dropped it. I guess I need to join some political action groups…:slight_smile:

glh
Zero social media accounts; DW does Facebook
I’m 100 times more afraid of Facebook than Google

We're in similar boats. Mrs PL tells me if anything on FB should interest me. To date, she has approached me on this.... zero times.

1000 times DITTO!

[ww.concur.pl/stillGisBIGBUSINESS/tobewatchedclosely/](http://ww.concur.pl/stillGisBIGBUSINESS/tobewatchedclosely/)
2 Likes