Apple photo stream enaik

Tuni

1m

My post went to wrong category. Am trying to move to Hrlp with this stupid computer or Apple ……[quote=“Tuni, post:1, topic:92857, full:true”]
Received notification from Apple that photo stream is being shut down. Photos in iCloud will be gone?? Bottom of notification says, best place to store photos is in iCloud! What th’ heck are they talking about??, anyone understand

Shut down? That seems unlikely, but Apple has done rash things before and decided not to care about its users. I don’t use Photo Stream, and didn’t get any notice. Can you post the notice you received?

Well, I guess it’s true. Apple shutting down free ‘My Photo Stream’ feature that originally launched with iCloud - 9to5Mac

||

||22pxx26px|
|My Photo Stream will be shut down on July 26|
|Dear,|
|My Photo Stream is scheduled to be shut down on July 26, 2023.|
|As part of this transition, new photo uploads to My Photo Stream from your devices will be stopped on June 26. Any photos uploaded to the service before that date will remain in iCloud for 30 days from the date of upload and will be available to any of your devices where My Photo Stream is currently enabled. By July 26, there will be no photos remaining in iCloud, and the service will be shut down.|
|The photos in My Photo Stream are already stored on at least one of your devices, so as long as you have the device with your originals, you won’t lose any photos as part of this process. If a photo you want is not already in your library on a particular iPhone, iPad, or Mac, make sure you save it to your library on that device. For more information on this transition and instructions on how to download photos from My Photo Stream, read Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown.|
|Moving forward, iCloud Photos is the best way to keep the photos and videos you take up to date across all your devices and safely stored in iCloud. iCloud Photos can be enabled on iOS 8.3 or later, iPadOS 8.3 or later, and macOS 10 Yosemite or later. Once set up, you can view your photos and videos in the Photos app on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, Apple Watch, iCloud.com, and even sync them to a Windows PC using iCloud for Windo

I’m not reading there any way to move your My Photo Stream photos to iCloud Photos, nor if that is supposed to happen automatically. But I would guess that if you want your photo stream photos moved there you have to do it yourself…somehow. Unless I’m missing something in Apple’s announcement. But this has become typical for Apple: not being all that clear about what they’re actually doing.

2 Likes

Totally annoyed at Apple - will try to move them…. Grrr

Join the club. See my other thread about printing PDFs from the Books app!

1 Like

I’ve not relied on Photo Stream, as far as I know, I keep my various phots in folders, many folders, and then some, not all are copied into Photos, which in turn, I believe stress them in iCloud. I haven’t put everything into Photos, as I’d have to further boost my iCloud space past the 200 Gb level I added a while back to cover the Logitech doorbell camera space needs…

I’m gradually getting used to Photos, still have several old iPhoto Libraries I need to Import, but I think a lot may be duplicates of ones already aboard… I discovered Photos finds duplicates, so had to spend time picking or merging all of them a while back… Originals are still safely onboard or burned to DVDs, somewhere…

I must not be using My Photo Stream, as I never saw any notification…

i don’t have any mention of photo stream either. I have all my photos in albums which i believe are automatically sent to iCloud. I’m just not understanding all of this. Apple has managed to totally confuse me. Many of albums are “shared” with other family members. shared with us or I’ve shared with them. I went to settings and clicked on photos however that didn’t help me either, sigh…

Years ago Amazon tells me 2015, I bought this book to try and understand, sort out Photos. I can’t lay my hands on it at the moment, but it helped at the time. They made some big changes since then, I lost the sorted (manual) order of all the People, Faces, and had to start over. Very tedious, no way to tag or sort, I wanted to keep family groups together, but lost it, I have gotten close again, but it’s a constant work in progress… If I can find it, I don’t know if it will discuss Photo Streaming, and I don’t think Lesa Snider has done an update since this issue… She was a member of out local User Group, but like many, things change, and I haven’t seen her work in a long time…

1 Like

OK, I did find my copy, it does mention My Photo Stream, below is a pic of the pertinent info on page 23…
So now if they are shutting it off, things are once again changing…

And of course now I found this article…(from yesterday)

Apple’s free My Photo Stream service will shut down on July 26th | Engadget

And

2 Likes