Bad URL

“no plans to close anymore boards, unless something was missed and is woefully inactive. All the current boards are moving.”

What happens to the closed boards? Will we get any advanced notice before deletion?

I gather that there is going to be something in the new system which takes the place of Favorites, but does this mean I am going to have to go two places until the move is complete for all boards?

What happens to the closed boards? Will we get any advanced notice before deletion?

The boards will stay in read-only mode after closing, the time to remove them completely is still being determined but I think the end of October is the goal.

An announcement with the date will be put over the boards in place of the current one after the migration but I would say you have about 5 weeks of read-only mode.

Jen

1 Like

Hi tamhas,

but does this mean I am going to have to go two places until the move is complete for all boards?

All the open boards will be migrated next weekend so you should only have to go to one place to read new posts.

If you want to do anything with your saved posts (aka Reply Later), that should be done before the end of October which is the timeframe they are hoping to shut down the old board system.

Jen

That sounds like I will have to go two places for a week.

How obvious will the new equivalent to Favorites be?

How obvious will the new equivalent to Favorites be?

It’s called tracking and you can click the tracking box at the top of latest and top pages and it filters all the posts to just the ones you want. There will be a video in the help section on it - I’m spending next week recording a bunch more to add to it.

Jen

All the open boards will be migrated next weekend so you should only have to go to one place to read new posts.

Does this mean that the currently closed boards will not be migrated in a read-only fashion?

So that if there is some info on a closed board that we want to keep, we need to get that info off of the boards and save it for ourselves?

–Peter <== thinking he may need to scan through some older stuff and tuck it away for safe-keeping

I am starting to find my way around the new site, but it is hard to equate old board name to new tag. E.g., under RB->Community, the last in the list is How Goes It?, but there is no tag listed after it.

There doesn’t appear to be an obvious way to mark what has and has not been read. I do see a line for last visit, but that doesn’t mean that I have read everything below that line. E.g., I tend to let METAR go and read it in large blocks, but visit other boards multiple times per day.

I also don’t see a tag for the prior board called RB: Investing Strategies.

I am also seeing posts with tags I was not subscribed to like my-dumbest-investment and your-investor-journey and just-ask.

Hi tamhas,

I answered your points in the new system so I can provide some links and help others who might have the same questions. I tagged you in that post so you should see a notification on your icon in the upper right.

Jen

Hi Peter,

Closed boards will not be migrated. So, yes, if there is any information you want to keep off of a board in the old system, you should do that before the end of October (tentative date for closing this system but better to do it now than expect that date moves out)

I would scan through both closed and open board posts that you might have saved just to make sure but you will have time after the migration to save things.

Jen

I am starting to find my way around the new site, but it is hard to equate old board name to new tag. E.g., under RB->Community, the last in the list is How Goes It?, but there is no tag listed after it.

How do you even get to the new site?

I answered your points in the new system so I can provide some links and help others who might have the same questions. I tagged you in that post so you should see a notification on your icon in the upper right.

What are you talking about? I thunk the new system does not come up until next week, yet some seem to be accessing it already.

1 Like

Hi JeanDavid,

He’s a member of a service that converted this weekend…this board does go next weekend.

Jen

You should duplicate the traffic here so that people are more prepared for the transition.

Has any of the testing involved a board like METAR with over 100 posts per day?

2 Likes

Here is one URL

https://community.fool.com/

I haven’t figured out a real equivalent of Favorites.

1 Like

The new system is live, but only limited services have been moved so far. E.g., the only premium boards … other than the company specific ones … I follow are three, so that is the only thing now on the new system for me.

I’ve been playing around over there today, and making myself a bit of a nuisance asking questions. Activity is very low, not surprisingly. Responses to my questions have been quick and informative.

As you would expect, everything related to posting and replying is a breeze. I even updated a message after posting! And others posted photos!

For the moment my starting point link is:
https://community.fool.com/latest.

That is as close as I’ve found to the link I use for these boards:
https://discussion.fool.com/FavoriteBoards.asp?sortby=date

Boards that were migrated had their names changed to Tags. In some cases similar boards were combined into a single Tag. All my subscribed boards that made the trip appear in the Tag list that controls what I see. So, as near as I can tell, the new link I posted above takes me to the closest thing to the old link of subscribed boards.

One thing that I dealt with - there were instructions somewhere, but I blundered into it - was dealing with Unread. Basically it defaulted to messages going back 7 years and more, perhaps everything, all marked with a time of the migration. There is a big Dismiss button that wiped all that out. I forgot to say how I got there… clicked on the hamburger menu symbol next to my avatar, then clicked on Unread.

One thing that helped me was that as of the moment of the migration I was up to date on my reading, no unread messages. So when I hit that Dismiss button I was only removing old stuff.

With all that, it is early days yet, and I’m sure I’ll be figuring it out for a long while.

1 Like

Hi Jen,

If I’m understanding correctly, historical posts from open boards (e.g., the 284,000+ posts from Mechanical Investing and 86,000 posts from Saul’s board), will not be moved to the new platform?

Todd

RHinCT,

making myself a bit of a nuisance asking questions

You are definitely not a nuisance! That’s why us CMFs are here - to answer questions and help out. And even though I’ve been using the new boards for awhile now (Options got moved over some months ago), I’m still figuring out the the finer details. Just today I again tried to figure out the Notify feature, and couldn’t get it to do anything useful.

Bruce