continued rumors that ARC is dead end

Well, here we are once again… and we have leaker Moore’s Law is Dead reporting (once again, but this time with more meat, or should I say salt for the rumor mill) that Intel’s desktop Arc GPU is so bad that, that Intel has canceled discrete Arc GPUs internally. MLID says it’s not because Intel doesn’t have the balls to hit the GPU market and compete against AMD and NVIDIA… but rather from a financial perspective (and I’m sure a lot more behind the scenes) they just can’t do it.

It’s not good news, because the world seems to think Intel is invincible and that they can’t take the hit. I’ve been what some would call “negative” on Intel Arc, but I’m just reporting the news. It’s been a s***show from the outside so far, and it does NOT look like it’s getting better, period.

MLID has talked to multiple sources over the weekend, which told him:

“Arc is finished” – executive level of Intel
“the decision has been made” – Intel source
“Intel is ending Arc discrete” – Intel source
Tom added: “once Alchemist is out, you should be surprised if they do anything besides… maybe… some limited re-productions of low volume early next year, and then that’s basically it. There are high-level discussions going on regarding the cancellation of dedicated desktop Arc cards, datacenter stays for now, but the dedicated gaming cad line may be canceled before Celestial even gets a chance”.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88393/intel-arc-gpu-effective…

3 Likes

There is also this headline:
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6000-graphics-cards-diffi…

I am fairly certain all ARC add in boards are dead for now. Will INTC continue to sell ARC GPU’s that are built into the laptop? There are currently a few laptop models out that contain an ARC GPU so I suspect they will. All the work done on the drivers will help with their integrated graphics so is not a waste.
Alan

I am fairly certain all ARC add in boards are dead for now.

Many recessions ago, there was a joke going around: “Business is so bad, that even the customers who don’t pay aren’t buying.” Can Intel find buyers (with money) for ARC cards? If not, and it appears that they cannot, there is no point in continuing to continue producing add-in boards.

1 Like

Bob,

Many recessions ago, there was a joke going around: “Business is so bad, that even the customers who don’t pay aren’t buying.”

Is that the recession that was so bad that, in Revere, the Mafia had to lay off half the police department?

Norm.

1 Like