DDR5 Overclocking Issues

This is not a “let’s slam Intel,” or even slamming memory manufacturers. DDR5 has some major differences from DDR4. Only watch this if you have a high frustration tolerance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9U7TVNImI The net effect is that DDR5 memory with higher than 4000 speed is going to be finicky. Try two DIMMs per channel for even more finickiness.

Does this mean problems for AMD Zen 4 systems? Probably not. By the time Zen 4 shows up, memory manufacturers will have a better handle on all those additional timings to get the memory to run at the specified overclock.

What about Zen 3+ systems (Rembrandt)? Good question. If you buy a laptop with Rembrandt and LPDDR5 memory I don’t expect you to have a problem. Swap the memory out after you buy it? Or even add more memory? Plan on a very frustrating day or two, and be happy if everything works first try.

2 Likes

specified overclock.?
Oxymoron?
Dell is shipping systems with DDR5-4400 and most of the Alder lake reviews were done with that speed RAM. It looks like DDR5-5200 is now stable, but DDR5-6000 is still flaky.
–Alan

specified overclock.?
Oxymoron?

Not in the whole sentence, but isolated like that? Sure.

Dell is shipping systems with DDR5-4400 and most of the Alder lake reviews were done with that speed RAM.

I don’t know if that is missing my point, or making it. If you buy a system with DDR5 installed, it should work just fine. If you decide to upgrade the DRAM or add more? If you watch that very frustrating video JayZ TwoCents eventually gives up. Not at getting the system to boot with four sticks of DRAM, but at getting it anywhere near the DDR5-6200 listed speed.

Would that memory fully work in a motherboard? Possibly. Could you override some of the timings to get the memory training to succeed at 6000 or 6200 in that motherboard? Probably. Would you have any hair left? Unlikely.

2 Likes