Deciding on a new car...ugh

General musing on Toyota…

I’ve noted that a number of you own or look to own a Toyota Highlander.

I was surprised when I saw the newer Highlanders on the road, much as I was awhile back when I saw the redesign of the RAV4. Where once upon a time, these cars had distinctive niches, the RAV4 looked like a jeep and the Highlander looked like a passenger truck (SUV), they now both look like bigger and biggest station wagons. Right?

Toyota discontinued the popular Corolla Matrix wagon and replaced it with the C-HR, it seems to me. Internets argue over whether or not it’s an SUV or a subcompact…I think it’s a small station wagon.

I would think the people buying these various models would’ve preferred Toyota to keep their original designs and definitions but the company decided to homogenize their offerings.

Am I missing something here? If you own any of these vehicles in their various offerings, what are your opinions of the changes?

I bought a Corolla because all I wanted was a sedan. If I wanted/needed something to haul stuff around, I’d be looking into their trucks or their mini-van, the Sienna, no? Those models seem to have stayed true to their original intentions.

SD

I bought a Corolla because all I wanted was a sedan. If I wanted/needed something to haul stuff around, I’d be looking into their trucks or their mini-van, the Sienna, no? Those models seem to have stayed true to their original intentions.

For us, pretty much so. We’ve owned a Sienna, and two Odysseys. Still have 1 Odyssey. But presumably Toyota knows their business and what will sell, so they build what they can sell.

1 Like

Hi Smurfdogg,

“Toyota discontinued the popular Corolla Matrix wagon and replaced it with the C-HR”

Not right away. The Matrix “died” in 2014 and we bought the first C-HR in Abilene, TX on 4/17/2017, although it was available in some overseas areas in 2016.

We like the car. Good mileage and plenty of room for our use. It is peppy, handles well and I really like the CV transmission. Smooth.

Downside for us now is 2 wheel drive and it is low to the ground.

When our road gets graded, the dirt pile can be down the middle of the road or off to one side for the entire day. If you get squeezed to tight to the ditch, you have to cross over to the other side. I hate the sound of the gravel/dirt scraping the belly pan!

When it is raining, the road can be like greased glass in spots.

Might look at a RAV-4 when we get moved in and things have calmed down.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

1 Like