Drive disappears after sleep

Long story made short:

I purchased a Windows 11 based HP desktop Envy Model TE01-3157c (not necessarily inspires envy, but was reasonably priced). It came with an M-type 1TB SSD and I added a 1TB Samsung SATA SSD and some external HDD’s. No problem and everything worked.

One of the external drives has “gone west” (over ten years old, so stuff happens) and I bought a 4TB Toshiba X300 SATA and decided I would get better performance if I installed it as an internal drive.

So here’s the problem: Whenever the PC goes to sleep, it loses all trace of the Toshiba drive - even Drive Management doesn’t see it. Reboot the system and it works perfectly until the system goes to sleep again. A Google search turns up lots of instances of this happening (not limited to Toshiba drives or Windows 11), but no useful ways of correcting it.

I updated all the drives and the BIOS from the HP site and where it used to list all the HHD’s and SSD’s (including the Toshiba, the updated version doesn’t list any drives (or ports or whatever, for that matter). I started playing with the Registry and the Power settings, but short of completely disabling the power savings/sleep mode, didn’t find a solution.

I’ve been playing with assorted PC’s since the 1970’s and built a very large number of Windows PC’s over the years, but have never run into this before.

If anyone has solved this (or has an idea of what would work), I would appreciate the input.

Jeff

Check power management for the USB hubs. This is in device controller/manager.

Go down to USB devices and check each one for power management. Be sure the system can NOT turn them off to save power. Then see what happens.

1 Like

I’ve never had much luck with the Windows sleep function. I just skip it and either turn the computer off completely or let it keep running. Mostly I just let it run.

With SSDs, it’s not like you are wearing out spinning drives by starting and stopping them all the time.

—Peter

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas.

Go down to USB devices and check each one for power management: This is an internally connected SATA drive as I wanted the performance that I was unlikely to get from a USB connected one.

I’ve never had much luck with the Windows sleep function. I just skip it and either turn the computer off completely or let it keep running" Yup, but trying to be a good (frugal) citizen and minimize power usage.

SO, yesterday I was “turning all the dials at once” and this morning when I woke my system, like it says in The Star Spangled Banner, the drive was still there. So, I can always hope I cured the problem, but honestly, I’m clueless how.

Jeff
(We’ll see if it’s just taunting me)

1 Like

Today’s operating systems aim at conserving power, so putting currently-unused (connected) drives in “sleep” mode is supposed to turn their power usage OFF until a wake-up signal is sent to restart the device. Thus, using the standard pre-set settings will allow most devices to be powered up-and-down, depending on usage of the connected devices. This would be especially true for portable computers (laptops, etc) with a limited battery charge. As my system is 24/7 plugged into a UPS when it is on, I always “turn off” all of those power-saving settings because the system is always plugged into a reliable source of power.

1 Like