Drowned in the AAPL moat

I’m glad AAPL has made us so much money, or I’d hate the company. I had a perfectly good phone, a 7 plus I think. No need for anything better. My wife had switched to an Apple phone after so many instance where my phone worked, and her Samsung didn’t.

However, I finally got to take a trip between Covid waves, and found many apps I wanted (like the airline app) would not work on the IOS of my old phone, and it was too old to be upgraded to the required IOS. OK, I bought a new phone. Then I found the Apple easy transfer of data to the new phone wouldn’t work with my old IOS either (What??? That is why I’m trying to transfer to a new model!!!) However, there was a solution…pay for more Icloud storage, and then I can load the old phone info to the cloud, and move it to the new phone. I paid for that too, and now I have a super duper, up to date Iphone 13 with all my old apps and photos. They have me where they want me. Glad I own some of the company.

10 Likes

Data transfer via ICloud?
Omg, you poor Apple users.

When upgrading from my Android phone to another I simply remove the 400GB SD Card from it’s slot and put it in the other phone — voila, data transfer done, took around 30sec!

2 Likes

200GB iCloud storage costs $3 a month. You could buy a 256GB SD card for $26 on Amazon. Glad I’m an indirect owner of Apple too.

Yeah, I held some AAPL stock several years ago, and when I saw how much of their phone price was in memory upgrades, and compared that to the amazing price/capacity trajectory of SD cards, I thought that stream of profits was not sustainable and sold. I nailed that one.

The upside is that BRK, aided in part by the AAPL holdings, have made me affluent enough that I can just buy whatever phone or memory I want and ignore the price.

4 Likes

BRK, aided in part by the AAPL holdings, have made me affluent enough that I can just buy whatever phone or memory I want and ignore the price.

Good for you, dwerme. As a poor Android/Windows guy I am a little jealous. On the other hand for $80 my used Sony phone was such a great bargain (>$200 new) that I can buy several B’s for the price difference to your iPhone.