E-files being rejected

vkg posted under another subject: It didn’t take long for the feds or state to process our tax payment which was paid by check. State has processed our tax return but the IRS hasn’t.

More out of curiosity, I’m tracking how long it will take for our federal tax return to be shown as processed. Taxes are paid and payment recorded.

Did you receive a notice that the Federal filing had been rejected? Michelle Singletary’s column today is about e-files for 2021 being rejected because the AGI for 2020 doesn’t match – but the reason it might not match is that the IRS still hasn’t processed the 2020 return.

She says that some taxpayers are resorting to filing on paper, but she suggests first refiling but entering $0 for the 2020 AGI (or $1 if a taxpayer used the non-filers tool last year to register for an advance child tax credit payment or to claim the third stimulus payment).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/04/06/agi-fix-f…

If your tax program doesn’t show that the return was rejected, you should probably just be patient. The IRS used to send out notices when it received a payment that didn’t correspond to a tax return, but that just resulted in additional filings and made the backlog worse.

My employer had an even worse outcome, though: IRS refunded a quarterly WH remittance because of a failure to match it to a quarterly report - which had been filed on time - and later, when it processed the quarterly report, tried to fine us for not sending payment.

1 Like

Our tax return is now processed. Checking the transcript, all values match the "by computer’ amounts.

Still a few issues for 2021. The CPA for the special needs trust hasn’t completed that return. No taxes will be due. There is no way I’m taking responsibility for the special needs trust tax return. I’ve needled my step-son that he hasn’t given me his tax information. Their tax return is simple and takes less than an hour to enter into tax software.

We are taking odds on what day the major procrastinator calls for help with her return. My husband believes April 17th which I can’t do because it is Easter and I won’t have time. She still hasn’t given me some information for her 2020 return.

If your tax program doesn’t show that the return was rejected, you should probably just be patient.

I E-filed late Monday night, just a few minutes before midnight. My return was accepted at 12:25 am. Much faster than I’ve seen in previous years.

More out of curiosity, I’m tracking how long it will take for our federal tax return to be shown as processed. Taxes are paid and payment recorded.

Did you receive a notice that the Federal filing had been rejected? Michelle Singletary’s column today is about e-files for 2021 being rejected because the AGI for 2020 doesn’t match – but the reason it might not match is that the IRS still hasn’t processed the 2020 return.

Why should the AGI for 2020 match anything?

I filed for tax year 2021 using TaxAct. I did the same last year. The only difference is that I did not pay enough medical bills and give enough to charity in 2021, so I took the standard deduction this year instead of itemizing. And instead of getting a Federal Tax refund, I had a balance due.

Both my state and the IRS acknowledged receipt of my returns which means they passed the preliminary testing done by TaxAct and by the IRS.

Federal Return Status:

Accepted
Federal Return Status Explanation:

This Federal has been successfully filed. It was accepted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on Fri, 25 Mar 2022
New Jersey Return Status:

Accepted
New Jersey Return Status Explanation:

This New Jersey return has been successfully filed. It was accepted by the New Jersey Division of Taxation on Sat, 26 Mar 2022

The IRS even cashed my check.

I have not yet received my state tax refund, or anything else from the IRS. I do not know if I am supposed to get anything else from the IRS.

I have not yet received my state tax refund, or anything else from the IRS. I do not know if I am supposed to get anything else from the IRS.

If you have an IRS account, you can check if your return has been processed. There is no reason for the IRS to contact a taxpayer when everything matches and taxes are paid.

Why should the AGI for 2020 match anything?

One way of verifying your identity for filing is with information from the previous year’s filing. It’s not the only way, but some e-file programs use it.

Correct, It is just a security check. H&R Block uses the same check. Wants the AGI from the form, you filed the year before. It warns to use the AGI from the 2020 form that you sent. If the IRS computer changed your AGI, it wants the original that you sent. So, its a local check within the software. H&R Block also has a button to push if you don’t have last years form.

1 Like

It’s not only a local check. It’s part of the IRS anti-fraud check. Failure to provide the previous year AGI doesn’t lead to an automatic rejection, but providing it makes a smoother sailing through the other anti-fraud checks.

Professional software automatically provides previous year AGI as part of the e-submission file if the previous return was prepared by the same tax pro, and asks for the previous year AGI and tax as part of the underpayment penalty calculation if the previous year was not prepared by the tax pro.

Ira

JeanD,

Just for reference E- filed Fed and NJ on 3-2-22
Fed accepted 3-3-22. Received Refund Electronic on 3-23-22
NJ Accepted on 3-4-22. Received Refund on 3-21-22.

FYI

1 Like