Electric bike charging

Mrs. Goofy has an electric bike (which she loves.) However it will not charge above “3” in our garage, twice now she has taken it back to the bike shop and when they plug it in it charges to “5” within an hour.

(She takes her charger in and they use that, they say.)

Can anybody give me a good reason why this would be? Or offer even a far-out hypothesis? I’m stumped.

1 Like

Does the charger feel hot after charging? Maybe it’s shutting down. Have you tried an outlet in the house or on the outside of the house? Not in the garage. It could be a problem with the outlet, loose wire, loose connection.

Andy

1 Like

One other thing Goofy, they put GFCI outlets in garages, maybe your GFCI is going bad? I would try to charge it on a not GFCI outlet.

Andy

What is the temperature in your garage? What is it at the shop? Maybe the charging circuitry shuts down at a certain point (“3”) in your garage due to sensing something (ambient temperature, wire/circuit temp, current, voltage, etc)? Most charging circuits sense multiple things that can trigger shutdown to protect the device (and to protect the surrounding area from fire).

1 Like