EU Water Scarity

https://www.dw.com/en/water-scarcity-eu-countries-forced-to-…
EU countries forced to to restrict drinking water access
Severe droughts and scarce rain have forced water restrictions in southern European countries. Climate change is making itself felt across the continent.
Amplified by human-induced climate change and water over-consumption, southern Europeans are feeling the consequences of more extreme heat waves and longer droughts.
Now governments from Portugal to Italy are calling on citizens to limit water use to the bare minimum. But in some places this is not enough.

The following link from DW informs on 3 specific nations:Italy, Spain & Portugal.
https://www.dw.com/en/water-scarcity-eu-countries-forced-to-…

1 Like

The calls need to be for much greater funding of alternative technologies. More is never enough.

Just saving some water is not solving next years bigger problem.

1. investors need to pay careful attention to the simple fact that water will soon replace petroleum as the most extremely important liquid pumped from the ground that is insanely underpriced and exploited within legal systems that are hopelessly obsolete. Rainfall is shifting, long reliable surface water is drying up, and aquifers are being pumped dry by Nestle and cousins and smart immoral agriculturalists turning a common heritage into private wealth.

2. do not buy land without a solid comprehension of the water rights tied to the land and the legal, political, and GCC threats that can vaporize your investment

3. human culture is failing its final exam on every front.

david fb

8 Likes

david fb,

One of my BIL wont buy on the Cape because of the water problems, resource problems and rising sea waters. He wants Sebago in ME, but in a discussion with him I suggested Sebago or wherever he and my sister buy a third home he needs to know how far above sea level it will be.

1 Like

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

2. do not buy land without a solid comprehension of the water rights tied to the land and the legal, political, and GCC threats that can vaporize your investment

david fb

Rain coming down in torrents (heavy thunderstorms) here in Halifax.

Tim

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/forecast/in-Halifax,NS?loc…

Several years back in-laws in north Texas were under extreme drought conditions with very severe water rationing. Think infrequent toilet flushing. Being very careful when washing dishes (throw-away paper was better than needing to wash china). Laundry only when necessary. It was bad. I’m hoping this does not become more common but I fear it will.

Here in Austin lawn watering has dropped to once per week. We are still twice a week in Cedar Park, but with no rain and 100+ in the forecast for the next 10 days… There is a reason new home construction bans St. Augustine grass around here now.

1 Like

Didn’t do well on the mid-terms either.

3 Likes

investors need to pay careful attention to the simple fact that water will soon replace petroleum as the most extremely important liquid pumped from the ground that is insanely underpriced and exploited within legal systems that are hopelessly obsolete.

And that water sold in grocery stores already sells for a lot more than gasoline - at least in the USA. And that gasoline prices include a lot of taxes that water doesn’t (yet) include.

Also without a fraction of the underlying cost of finding, producing, refining, and distributing gasoline. And the associated capital investments.

As Einstein said, it’s all relative. People just get spoiled by historic cheap prices on both.

I get a bit tired about the bitching about gasoline prices. It’s only because that oil prices were driven down by a Saudi-Russia war on market share followed by a pandemic that crushed demand that gasoline prices got so cheap recently. Look at history.

7 Likes

And that water sold in grocery stores already sells for a lot more than gasoline - at least in the USA.

I never understood paying for grocery store bottled tap water. It’s essentially free at the tap.

Just another example of how nobody ever lost money betting on the ignorance and innumeracy of the American people.

intercst

I never understood paying for grocery store bottled tap water. It’s essentially free at the tap.

Depends upon how your tap water tastes.

DB2

2 Likes

Just another example of how nobody ever lost money betting on the ignorance and innumeracy of the American people.

Bottled water started its popularity in Europe, not in America.

david fb,

There are 8 billion humans on the planet. We could lose 90
percent of them and still have as many on the planet as we had in the 1890’s

In every measure we are gaining wealth, health, knowledge, cooperation, and innovation.

Failing we are not. We are significantly more successful than the most virulent strain of the Aids virus and are well on the way to becoming as successful as the gut bacteria.

Cheers
Qazulight

2 Likes