"If you see me, weep"

In the drought caused famine of 1616 that was carved on a stone that would normally be under water in the Elbe River. It is visible again.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article2…
Water levels have dropped in major rivers across Europe as the region suffers under a historic drought. In those dry riverbeds, centuries-old warning messages have emerged, locals report.

The “horrifying” boulders are known as “Hungersteine,” or “Hunger Stones,” local German reporter Olaf Koens said in an Aug. 11 tweet.

One of these stones is embedded in the Elbe River, which runs from the mountains of Czechia through Germany to the North Sea, POLITICO journalist Aitor Hernández-Morales tweeted the same day.

The stone, dating back to a drought in 1616, is once again visible in the dry riverbed, Hernández-Morales said. The warning reads, “Wenn du mich seehst, dann weine” – “If you see me, weep.”

25 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

In the drought caused famine of 1616 that was carved on a stone that would normally be under water in the Elbe River. It is visible again.

They also have high water stones where they had significant floods. I recall seeing them in various places but this was one of my favorite places to take people from away.

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXKV3_Hochwasser_Cochem…

The river was very popular for white water Kayaking. There was also a glass blowing factory great for souvenirs. In a darker time Cochem was the headquarters for some of the units involved in the battle of the Bulge. The castle was always popular with tourists … well except for a couple from Georgia who felt a few drops of rain and decided we couldn’t walk up the steep hill to go to it. }};-@

If you don’t do anything when it rains in Germany … you never do anything … it always seems to be raining … probably why the solar thingy ain’t great.

Tim

2 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochem

If you don’t do anything when it rains in Germany … you never do anything … it always seems to be raining … probably why the solar thingy ain’t great.

===============================================================

The wettest countries in Europe are ones on the Atlantic Ocean and the ones in the Alps and Balkan Mountains. Germany is just average as seen on the following Map:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/6op42a/average_annu…

Jaak

My favorite book was read to me over and over again for 10 or 15 minutes almost every night from the time I was three until I was 5.

There were (are) holy moments in the Book, and one of the most extraordinary concerned the Peace Rock, only visible when the great river of the jungle almost dried up. The appearance of the rock proclaimed a radically different mode of life for all the jungle creatures.

I still dream the dream I first dreamed in 1954, wading up an amazing river on a hot day and then seeing and immediately recognizing the Peace Rock and knowing that it means the end of all that I had ever known, and the coming of urgency and new needs.

The original Disney adaptation was the foully worst of all the works they ever produced, but the remake in 2016 was not bad. Here is the remarkable scene of the Peace Rock marking drought and desperation and wonder…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cEq5Q7jx-c

Obviously the Jungle Book emerges from hyper-mythos and not nature.

david fb
(yes, I still worship Mowgli and can recite the “Law of the Pack”)

3 Likes

Jaak: The wettest countries in Europe are ones on the Atlantic Ocean and the ones in the Alps and Balkan Mountains. Germany is just average as seen on the following Map:

You are talking quantity, I am talking prevalence of light rain that we learned to ignore but some woosie visitors felt the need to cancel all outside activity.

As soldiers we were told “You won’t melt”.

No wonder I keep putting you back in the bin.

Anymouse

7 Likes

Tim writes:

You are talking quantity, I am talking prevalence of light rain that we learned to ignore but some woosie visitors felt the need to cancel all outside activity.

=========================================

So now Tim is a weatherman who thinks he knows all about prevalence of light rain in European countries. His claim is curious because he does not say that the rain comes from the countries West of Germany and that they do not have more prevalence of light rain. Tim would be laughed at for his claims by the Dutch, Brits, Scots and Irish. Tim seems to think that light rain magically skips those countries and plops down on Germany.

I wish Tim would document his claims with links to actual data on light rain prevalence by European countries.

Jaak

2 Likes

I wish Tim would …

And I wish Jaak could disagree with someone without berating them.

—Peter

12 Likes

And I wish Jaak could disagree with someone without berating them.

—Peter

============================================

At my old age, I do not tolerate fools.

Jaak

3 Likes

Am I missing something or does this mean that the water level was as low in 1616 as it is now? And does that mean that CO2 emissions must have been climbing since the late 1500s to have caused that drought?

I periodically see stories about some artifact (sword, pottery, etc.) from centuries or millenia ago being found when the ice somewhere melts to reveal it. How did the ice levels get as low as they are today back when that artifact was dropped (and then covered with new ice), given the absence of today’s “high” levels of CO2 in the atmosphere?

–fleg

1 Like

How did the ice levels get as low as they are today back when that artifact was dropped (and then covered with new ice), given the absence of today’s “high” levels of CO2 in the atmosphere?

Maybe, just possibly, there is more to climate change than CO2. Of course giverments can’t tax volcanos, asteroids, continental drift, changes in the Earth’s tilt, Sun spots, et al, so they look for a taxable climate criminal.

Maybe, just possibly, CO2 is being given a bum rap.

The Captain

3 Likes

Then stop acting like one.

—Peter

19 Likes

I periodically see stories about some artifact (sword, pottery, etc.) from centuries or millenia ago being found when the ice somewhere melts to reveal it.

It’s not unusual for these to be found in glacial ice. As you know, glaciers move (slowly) from their head on high ground to their foot at lower ground. So the items were likely left on the glacier, buried inside the glacier by snow in the next couple of years, then travel with the glacier to the foot where they are revealed.

2 Likes

Maybe, just possibly, there is more to climate change than CO2.

Nothing in this world is absolutely certain. But with nearly the entire scientific community agreeing that CO2 is elephant in the room, how much are you willing to bet on that possibility? For 45 years skeptics have been losing that bet and each decade costs more and more.

4 Likes

The Captain

Human Sacrifices were common with the Aztec because they could predict solar eclipses.

Then stop acting like one.

—Peter

=============================================

That is a non sequitur! I follow the Goofyhoofy way of berating fools. I have been berated many times even Goofyhoofy. You probably do not know the history between me and Tim. For years he was trying to educate me on power power plants as if he were an engineer.

I guess you feel some old stab wounds from me about something.

Jaak

1 Like

The Captain

===================================================================

Where is the proof of your questioning? Some new field of pseudo-science? It does not fit with any science.

Jaak

2 Likes

It’s not unusual for these to be found in glacial ice. As you know, glaciers move (slowly) from their head on high ground to their foot at lower ground. So the items were likely left on the glacier, buried inside the glacier by snow in the next couple of years, then travel with the glacier to the foot where they are revealed.

There was a plane crash in Argentina or Chile high in the Andes mountains. Several decades later the glacier disgorged the plane.

1947 BSAA Avro Lancastrian Star Dust accident

On 2 August 1947, Star Dust, a British South American Airways (BSAA) Avro Lancastrian airliner on a flight from Buenos Aires, Argentina, to Santiago, Chile, crashed into Mount Tupungato in the Argentine Andes. An extensive search operation failed to locate the wreckage, despite covering the area of the crash site. The fate of the aircraft and its occupants remained unknown for over fifty years, giving rise to various conspiracy theories about its disappearance.

In the late 1990s, pieces of wreckage from the missing aircraft began to emerge from the glacial ice. It is now believed that the crew became confused as to their exact location while flying at high altitudes through the (then poorly understood) jet stream. Mistakenly believing they had already cleared the mountain tops, they started their descent when they were in fact still behind cloud-covered peaks. Star Dust crashed into Mount Tupungato, killing all aboard and burying itself in snow and ice.[1][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_BSAA_Avro_Lancastrian_Sta…

Ötzi over 5 millennia in deep freeeze!

Ötzi, also called the Iceman, is the natural mummy of a man who lived some time between 3350 and 3105 BC, discovered in September 1991 in the Ötztal Alps (hence the nickname “Ötzi”) on the border between Austria and Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ötzi

The Captain

1 Like

Nothing in this world is absolutely certain. But with nearly the entire scientific community agreeing that CO2 is elephant in the room, how much are you willing to bet on that possibility?

It’s not a bet worth making because no one can come up with credible proof either way. “Nearly the entire scientific community agreeing” is just that, nearly the entire scientific community agreeing. I’m willing to bet that more than one of them agrees because it’s a good move to get research grants. Follow the money.

For 45 years skeptics have been losing that bet and each decade costs more and more.

Where does this betting happen and how are outcomes adjudicated?

The Captain
didn’t know about the CO2 Betting Parlor! LOL

3 Likes

Human Sacrifices were common with the Aztec because they could predict solar eclipses.

Murder is a time honored form of worship.

The Captain

1 Like