excercising caution (?)

I have seem some posts on this board the last few days regarding buying and shares of the stock of various companies based upon seemingly attractive prices as a result of the market’s reaction to Trump being elected.

I myself sold shares of a few stocks yesterday that increased in value, but, as a general matter, am I the only one who is reluctant to pick up additional shares of companies that have only gone down over the last 2 days? Without knowing more about what a Trump presidency will mean to these companies in the short and long term?

5 Likes

I have thought about it Speedy. Of the stocks I added to in the last two days. Two of them, AMZN and TSLA are thought to be ones that could be affected by Trumps presidency.

Maybe, in the short term, but longer term I don’t think so.

I do think that waiting for for things settle down, like you are doing, is a good idea.

In retrospect I should have done the same thing. I am glad I bought only small amounts. There were no real bargains in the last two days.

Frank.

Except maybe PAYC

1 Like

You don’t start and anchor yourself in negotiations by putting out what you think is objectively reasonable. You start by taking an extreme self-serving position and make the other side come to you and not vice versa.

Exactly the same point I made at METaR.

Denny Schlesinger

2 Likes

I don’t care what side anyone’s on, let’s put a stop to the political narratives, I see/hear them everywhere I turn.

I’d much prefer to just read about investing here.

28 Likes

Hi Tinker,

Hopefully, President Trump can do more than simply anchor those he’ll negotiate with during his term.

In fact, Obama was the most anti-business president of my lifetime, if you want an example that should have caused stocks to crash (and they did not).

You don’t start and anchor yourself in negotiations by putting out what you think is objectively reasonable. You start by taking an extreme self-serving position and make the other side come to you and not vice versa.

But is Obama really the most anti-business president in your lifetime, or did you anchor yourself on the opposing establishment that has been against him since his election in 2008?

Trump can anchor as much as he wants. But if there is a lack of trust and integrity, the negotiation isn’t mutually beneficial and becomes a win/lose situation for the other party. Nobody wants to feel like a loser in a negotiation. There are long-lasting negative consequences to such a relationship.

Let’s hope that Trump can negotiate well and leave those with whom he negotiates feeling like partners and not losers.

foodles,

I don’t care what side anyone’s on, let’s put a stop to the political narratives, I see/hear them everywhere I turn.

I’d much prefer to just read about investing here.

Sorry, I’ll try sticking to investing from now on.

DJ

2 Likes

QUIT IT!!! It doesn’t matter who happened to get the last word. No one will remember tomorrow. THIS BOARD IS NOT FOR POLITICS! There are very active politics boards. POLITICAL ARGUMENTS WILL KILL OUR BOARD!

Saul

18 Likes

Saul, I never meant for this thread (which I started) to be political. I was merely trying to find out whether people on this board were being cautious with their investments in light of the presidential election result. Much like any other world event, e.g.- Brexit.

In that regard, a few people did post replies that were investment (as opposed to political) in nature. Too bad others had to turn it into a political debate…it ruins it for all of us trying to discuss investing.

AW, Let me first off say that my political leanings are very much aligned with yours but the reality is that this is a board specifically for discussing investing approaches that go along with Sauls method. Not to say that Saul owns the board but there are many other boards available for political discourse and this board was set up to discuss Higrowth Low PE stocks aka Sails method.

The original posting was entirely reasonable and I myself am extremely interested by how this is affecting their investments. Is Saul lightening up on his AMZN position given the concerns some have for a ‘Vendetta’ against Bezos and the possible effect on chinese goods or is he using this opportunity to add more. Is he using this opportunity to add in a Pharma drug which he typically stays away from given that Trump will be a little more lenient on drug companies. Is he adding to SBNY at current prices? There are entirely valid questions but a discourse on the ethics/evils/social benefits of a Trump candidacy are really beyond the scope of this board.

Please as a fellow investor I ask you please to respect the boards aims and take the political discussion else where. I want to learn and these kind of posts (mine included) make it harder. Punishing us by adding posts does not take the high road.

Regards

Craig

PS: Aw as an aside you will find that people like you and I are more in the minority on the majority of these boards (Sauls boards aside - I have not gauged the makeup of his board) and as I learned the hard way on a similar board unless you are in agreement with the “Right” your comments will not be given any validity.

5 Likes

Is Saul lightening up on his AMZN position given the concerns some have … or is he using this opportunity to add more. Is he using this opportunity to add in a Pharma drug which he typically stays away from … Is he adding to SBNY at current prices?

Please take into account that AMZN and SBNY are my 2nd and 3rd largest, and oversized, positions. I sold one-tenth of my AMZN position at about $772 and I sold one-twenty-fifth of my SBNY at about $134.

I used the money, and a little cash I had raised, to add to PAYC, SNCR, SHOP, HUBS, SPLK, and a little to my largest position, LGIH (which had not advanced in spite of great results and outlook for the future). Did not buy any pharmas.

Saul

11 Likes