Face ID issue - dumb phone

iPhone13 pro- Face ID working and used to also work when wearing a mask (yes, I still do on occasion) but phone will no longer open when wearing a mask. Settings show Face ID enabled, also Face ID with mask enabled. Tried toggling Face ID with mask on and off but no joy. Have latest software updates- rebooting - still no joy. Petty annoyance. Any thoughts??thx

Pull down your mask for a moment?

Not long ago I upgraded my iPhone from an 8+ to a 14 Pro, giving up the fingerprint reader and going to facial recognition. It has never worked with a mask, and I never tried to get it to do so. I generally enter my number in the keypad when it happens.

2 Likes

Maybe its time to go through the face recognition process again. I’m still using fingerprints, and have to re-do my thumb from time to time. (Forefingers seems to remain more consistent.)

Perhaps there are some small changes to your face that are affecting things. New glasses? A bit of dental work? And since its with a mask - a different style of mask?

–Peter

2 Likes

It is a better fitting black mask however shouldn’t it still work? I’m going to do more experimenting with the old style paper and the newer one, will also toggle off fax recognition and “with mask” settings and then re-enable to see if that process will change anything. Not big issue but annoying especially when I’m using my Apple Card in grocery store. Lol

Beats me - I’m still using the cutting edge of 19th century technology - the fingerprint.

But my suggestion is not to turn things on and off again, it’s to go through the process of teaching your phone to recognize your face again.

–Peter

2 Likes

I deleted all face recognition and re-did it all. Just won’t allow me to wear mask for face recognition. Not a big deal but annoying. It used to however that was with the less effective paper surgical, blue masks. Sigh…. Will try that one again but just will continue to pull black better one down when I need access. Hmph and sigh….thanks for all the suggestions

2 Likes

In the event there is something in your phone’s software that is out of whack, the steps below might help. If the issue is a software change by Apple this will not help. That said, I don’t see why Apple would mess with the FaceID thing for any changes made in the last year or so.

#1. Force reboot. Press volume up button. Press volume down button. Press side button until Apple logo appears. If Apple logo does not appear, you were two slow at buttons pressing. Particularly the time between the two volume buttons must be really short.
#2. Return to start phone and go to Settings - Face ID & Passcode. Reset Face ID. Be sure to wear (or not wear) glasses. The mask deal works mostly with eyes and glasses make a difference. Turn off Attention Aware Features. Note: Leave Require Attention for Face ID on – it is used for the mask system.

3 Likes

Unless they found that identification using FaceID was insecure when masks are allowed. I can’t understand how it could possibly make a properly secure identification when masked.

2 Likes

Yeah. You’d think that the mouth is a pretty important component of a unique facial identity. Unless the combination of eyes, overall face dimensions/proportions plus mouth features only needs to be, say, 66% “matching” to be “good enough”. Clearly, any facial recognition is never 100% certain, so perhaps 60%-ish is still reasonably secure.

2 Likes

If you don’t think Apple’s facial recognition algorithms are not good enough you can create a long passcode.

If others have knowledge of Apple’s security level for finger print or facial recognition, I would like to see data/references. I have not seen any.

The site below at least is from people who have technical knowledge and testing data. They point out facial in 2019 was pretty darn good – over 99%. I don’t know if it is true, but I have read eyes are as unique as finger prints.

3 Likes

I am perfectly happy with the security of Apple’s facial recognition. I rely on it, except when I’m in some medical facility that requires masks. I might not be so happy with it if it opened despite my being masked.

1 Like

Nope - no joy, have tried all suggestions. Face ID will work with paper surgical mask most times but not with the “better/safer” black fitted mask. So I just need to pull it down so nose and sone mouth shows- then no problem. Sigh… it’s not a big problem however , so will just keep muddling along as before. Thx to all for ideas and assistance.

1 Like

To each his own – but since I have to key in my PIN periodically on my iPhone anyway, I just key it in with my mask on. Frank it is fast and easier to key in my PIN then mess with the mask.

3 Likes

When I was out n about, masked, it was pretty rare I needed to mess with my iPhone 11. So facial recognition was either at home or in the car or unmasked, so I never set it up. There was an article a while back that showed how the multitude of lasers look at us to decide if we were indeed the owner, in fact a hacker had found a way to use that scan to create 3D models of various objects, but the point is that there are a lot of things going on we can’t see in near instantaneous timing that we take for granted generally… We live in amazing times… Luckily, lately, less masking, more outdoor events…

1 Like

One of the apps I rely on is My Chart, the user interface for two hospital systems where I have providers. I used to log in with my fingerprint, not I log in with my face. With my face each time I open the app. When I need to open it while I am at the hospital or other such facility - which has been far too often - where I must be masked, that becomes an issue. So I pull down my mask long enough to be recognized. (And then, often as not, have to take it off and put it back on because trying to just pull it back up is as likely to leave it upside down as right side up.)
But I would rather that than have to log in manually. Or have it identify me with my mask on.

1 Like

Familiar scenario with me too- lol