File is damaged.

I am getting this frequently when I try to open a file by double clicking on it.

"filename” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash. Yet if I open the file through the application, it is fine. When I make changes, save it, and try to open it again, I’m back to the file damaged dialog. I have found that using the “xattr -cr file path/filename” command in Terminal will clear it up one time.

Mac Mini 2018, latest OS all updates applied.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Were you able to get rid of it?

Thanks.

What application? Can it be saved in another format, like a pdf?

I’ve some old files where the 32 bit applications are dead in Mojave, never found a decent fix. Also some old Word/Excel files the current applications refuse to play nice… Almost need an old computer with an early OS and apps to keep around for conversions…

I’m stuck in Mojave on my Mac Pro, so like unaware of some of the new wrinkles…

It has happened to me with .pdf, .jpg. .txt and .xlsv files.

In olden days, a fix to mysteries was to do a clean OS install, reload all the Apps, User files, a bit tedious, if not overkill… Today a boot into Safe Mode by holding the Shift key down until the Apple logo shows, then re-booting up normally removes a ton of the trash buildup… Many hours of fiddling…

I recently had to boot into Recovery mode, and did an OS re-install after running Disk First Aid, but I’m in an older OS… I’d think the latest OS should have cleaned up things… DW’s iMac is up in Monterey, no grumbles, so far…

It’s odd it’s several file formats, haven’t seen that…

Next step might be to Apple’s help line…

1 Like

Looks to be a recent issue…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253568928

Apple Support may be working on a fix…

1 Like

Thanks so much for that link and doing the legwork for me. It describes exactly what I am experiencing. At least I know my Mac Mini isn’t hosed. I didn’t start having the problem until the past 3-4 weeks, but I see it has been going on for a while for others. I hope Apple gets it fixed.

1 Like

I’m amazed this problem wasn’t found and fixed before it went live. Seems like something pretty fundamental that should have been caught during testing.