For the record

There is a free discussion board for BOFI right here:
http://discussion.fool.com/bofi-holding-bofi-120822.aspx

Perhaps we could move the BOFI discussions there (or to your respective paid service boards) and keep this board for discussions of Saul and Saul-like stocks and methodology. BOFI no longer falls into that category.

Thanks,
Les

18 Likes

Perhaps we could move the BOFI discussions there (or to your respective paid service boards) and keep this board for discussions of Saul and Saul-like stocks and methodology. BOFI no longer falls into that category.

So Les,
Are you saying that Saul can not discuss BOFI on his own board, or that only Saul can discuss BOFI on his board?

Andy

5 Likes

I think he is saying we keep hearing the same back and forth arguments from both sides, neither of which can be proved and neither of which will convince the other side.

I think it is crystal clear by now that some people consider BOFI too risky to own and others consider it a screaming buy. Going back and forth about what Ball may have done or not have done or could have done or should have done seems a waste of time. No new information is coming from this, it’s just theories from both sides and no one from either side is going to believe anything the other side says.

You either trust management or don’t, only time will tell how it all works out.

Brian

14 Likes

I think he is saying we keep hearing the same back and forth arguments from both sides, neither of which can be proved and neither of which will convince the other side.

Right Brian, I am just not sure that anyone has the right to stop the conversation. Usually we just let both sides work it out. Sooner or later it will quiet back down until someone else brings up another article. There isn’t any reason to put a clamp on the discussion.

Andy

5 Likes

Recognizing that a stock no longer fits the profile of the board and suggesting that the conversation move to a free board specifically designated for that stock, is not exactly trying to stop the conversation … just to have it occur in a more appropriate place.

5 Likes

Hi Tamhas,
Recognizing that a stock no longer fits the profile of the board and suggesting that the conversation move to a free board specifically designated for that stock, is not exactly trying to stop the conversation … just to have it occur in a more appropriate place.

Since this is Saul’s board, and he did bring the conversation to the board, I would completely disagree with you. This is the appropriate place.

Andy

8 Likes

When BOFI was brought to the board, conditions were quite different than they are now. There is no reason why a stock can’t be appropriate for the theme of a board at one time and inappropriate at another time when conditions have changed.

2 Likes

When BOFI was brought to the board, conditions were quite different than they are now. There is no reason why a stock can’t be appropriate for the theme of a board at one time and inappropriate at another time when conditions have changed.

But right now NOBODY knows how this is going to play out…not you, me, Saul, or anyone else. I think it is a great idea to have the discussion here so we can all learn from the results.

Jeb
No position
You can see all my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFJebbo/info.aspx

5 Likes

Regardless of whether it plays out well or not, I would submit that the current company doesn’t fit the profile any longer. Lots of good investments don’t fit the profile for this board.

1 Like

Yes, it is.

It is trying to stop the conversation here, on this board.
Here, this board is all that matters.

Recognizing that a stock no longer fits the profile of the board…

When was it recognized that BOFI no longer fit the profile of the board?
When Saul said he’d rather invest in something else?

4 Likes

Hi Iborg, perhaps you’ve been away from the board for a while but we are all really trying to quit fighting about BOFI and getting back to talking about investing. In post #14794 (Some Basic Rules of the Board), I clarified where I stand about discussions of stocks which I have sold out of. Basically I have no objection at all. But that’s talking about the fundamentals of the company and investing in it. Not arguing about it. That’s why we’re taking a short break from BOFI. So that we can all cool down.

I’ve seen calls to move discussions of Bofi to another board because I’ve sold out of it. I don’t think that’s a good reason to stop discussing a stock. I sell out of plenty of stocks but welcome discussion of them (CRTO, EPAM, PAYC, WAB, LOGM ZOES, POL, XPO, etc, etc, etc). I see the problem with Bofi as being all the intense feelings around it (pro and con both), so that the recent discussions were less discussions of the fundamentals of the company than angry feelings being expressed (pro and con) about the recent short attacks. This was very disruptive to our board. Thus, rather than thinking of us not discussing a stock because I have sold out of it, a cooling off period on Bofi might be a good idea, and then a return to discuss its fundamentals would be welcome.

http://discussion.fool.com/some-basic-rules-of-the-board-3204173…

Best,

Saul

1 Like

Hi Iborg, perhaps you’ve been away from the board for a while but we are all really trying to quit fighting about BOFI and getting back to talking about investing. In post #14794 (Some Basic Rules of the Board), I clarified where I stand about discussions of stocks which I have sold out of. Basically I have no objection at all. But that’s talking about the fundamentals of the company and investing in it. Not arguing about it.

Hi Saul,

Sure didn’t think my post was fighting.
It really wasn’t even about BOFI.
It was about the suggestion that a discussion that was started on this board, would better be moved off this board.
[BOFI today, who knows what stock, next]
My comment was to say that sentiment felt like too much censorship, too controlling.
My post was spawned from where the BOFI discussion(s)led, tho not limited to BOFI, and certainly wasn’t arguing, at least I didn’t think.

The second part of my post asked a question relative, again, not strictly to BOFI, to clarification on the parameters that a poster used to define what “fits the profile of the board.”

And yes, I have been away for awhile, and hadn’t caught up on all the posts when mine was written.
Another slap on the wrist, I reckon.

Cheers
and ~ Merry Christmas to All ~

1 Like

The real point, of course, was the tone of the conversation … one wanted it to go elsewhere … anywhere else! Otherwise, one would simply have ignored it if one was uninterested.

1 Like

I’m just catching up on this board after some time away and as far as I can see all of the most recent threads on BOFI were started by Saul!

I’ve just read a couple of hundred posts and this board is no longer what it used to be, i.e. one of my favourite boards.

In my opinion, the tone of some of the posts directed at anybody who might have made a decision to continue to hold BOFI is quite patronising; and now there is an edict that BOFI must not be discussed. What happened to mutual respect?

There’s always the “Ignore” button if somebody doesn’t want to read a post about a particular stock.

Alex

13 Likes

Please catch up, Alex … tone seems to have mostly been restored … possibly with some new clarity.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that I needed to have read every single post on the boards before responding to a post that was one day old! Is this yet another new rule?

Alex

2 Likes