FYI I Cancelled my Subscription to Ticker Target

I am not in anyway trying to discourage anyone from subscribing to Ticker Target. If you’re interested, try it out and see if it works for you. Bert is a nice guy. His customer service and willingness to answer questions was fantastic. However, I have publicly supported him and the service on the board before and I wanted to let everyone know where I personally stand on it.

For me, it just isn’t what I’m looking for. Far too technical/tech oriented and I believe that at times gets in the way of paying attention to the higher level numbers which show us how a business is truly performing.

4 Likes

I am a new subscriber of TT, I think it is very useful to me.

Almost all stocks in my portfolio are tech companies. If I do not have any technical knowledge, how can I make an informed decision?

I understand Saul always says he does not understand the technology but after so many research he has done, he must have obtained a lots of technology knowledge while investing. E.g. most of us know MDB is doing non-sql database. And I am sure lots of knowledge from the posters, Tick Targets, further readings and etc.

7 Likes

Surprised to hear this. One stock, just one, will and has paid many, many times over the subscription price alone.
To each their own though. As Saul said, he won’t be around forever.

14 Likes

Yea agreed.

Bert gives a different perspective and very thourough.

I like his level headed patient approach.

Having as many quality tools in your belt is important.

I always look forward to his reports.

To each his or her own, but for me it’s a very valuable resource for not only the hottest names but also the ones that sometimes fall through the cracks.

His reports almost force me to be a more patient investor.

Chris

18 Likes

Great points. I think I’m at a point now where I feel I’m taking in too much information which is making me want to be too active.

I may resubscribe in the future, but for now I’m trying to find the right balance.

7 Likes

“I may resubscribe in the future, but for now I’m trying to find the right balance.”

So that’s an interesting balance. Curious where you are finding balance.

I agree that at times too much information can overwhelm. Ironically that is why I enjoy Bert’s articles, because they seem to bring me more balance.

Not sure this is a proper subject matter for this board, but I’m always interested in where investors get their influence from other then this board and the NPI board.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

1 Like

For the price, I’ll subscribe forever. I actively seek investment advice and opinions that both challenge my thinking and disagree with one another (on my dime).

Seriously, my job is to build my portfolio. Not to build a portfolio by Bert, or by Saul, or by CMAFlieberman. Mine. In my journey I seek many inputs. Some I understand, some challenge me to learn. Some I agree with, others I do not. ALL are meaningful to help me understand and drive through my bias.

Heck, I still spend an hour/week or a few hours/quarter studying the dividend investment strategies. There are many ways to invest successfully, godspeed with your choices.

• kiplin
14 Likes

For me, it just isn’t what I’m looking for. Far too technical/tech oriented and I believe that at times gets in the way of paying attention to the higher level numbers which show us how a business is truly performing.

I’m a bit surprised. I too have subscribed to TickerTarget, and while I agree that Bert is long-winded, I find his coverage stellar. He combines a knowledge of the technical details and overlays that with his heavy experience within the world of how tech companies operate. I feel it gives a great insight into what these businesses, as well as their customers/users, are thinking. Combine all that with Wall Street saavy (despite the checkered past) and I think he presents very highly relevant details for investing in SaaS and tech companies.

In particular his coverage of NTNX, OKTA, ESTC and ZS lately have all been stellar.

Very much worth the price of admission, and, more importantly for me, MY TIME in reading it. You’ll see his take sprinkled through some of my earnings notes where I found it particularly worthwhile.

Also, a bonus: someone up thread called you Flieberman, Austin, so I think you just earned a new nickname.

-muji
long Flieberman

7 Likes

FMuji and friends,

Getting OT so we should probably stop this thread. Though I guess how we find great growth stocks is kinda on topic?

Anyways, very solid points and I’ll consider renewing when my 1 year is up. I have access till then either way.

My main issue with TT is that he talks about amd gives opinions on many companies but does not measure all of the performance. We can see how his portfolios are performing, but those only represent a small portion of the stocks he’s encouraged readers to buy/sell.

And he’s been dead wrong (and stuck with Nutanix) and a couple others.

Sorry, rambling. Just thinking through my process for focusing/how to find great high-growth companies.

-FLieberman

This makes about as much sense to me as cancelling the MF because I didn’t like a couple of their picks.

I wouldn’t say he’s dead wrong on Ntnx. He is willing to be more patient than most of the board, which is not necessarily a knock on him. It’s just a different style.

If you sold Ntnx at 33 you would have sold at the bottom. It’s up 27% from there. I’m partially out at 42 with the rest set to go at 44.5 or so.

Everyone must choose their own time horizon, framework for analysis and risk tolerance. I’m happy to hear ideas from others quality sources even if I don’t necessarily agree all the time.

One good idea a year would be worth the price of TT imho.

Long Ticker Target
Long MF RB
Long CMLpro

5 Likes

One good idea a year would be worth the price of TT imho.

It would be worth 10+ years of TT.

Seriously, Bert’s newsletter is the #1 resource for investors interested in the segment we are following for the time being…

… followed by #2: TMF Rule Breakers… and…

#3: NPI/Saul’s Board.

So, Bert’s newsletter would be the last subscription I cancel.

Since this board is about high growth stocks, this is a good thread to put on ignore.

Denny Schlesinger

7 Likes

Since this board is about high growth stocks, this is a good thread to put on ignore.

I was feeling the same way — but also felt the need to come to Bert’s defenses (I still wonder what purpose this thread was supposed to serve in the first place because it actually feels quite out of line to me).

So, your comment is of course 100% spot on :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m amazed, Austin.

One stock, or one good decision Bert helps you make, is worth 20-50 years of his inexpensive subscriptions. You don’t have to agree with him about everything. You don’t agree with me about everything. He loses me when he wanders off in EV/S valuations. But my goodness, his evaluations of the companies are fantastic. He gives a sober, commonsensical impartial view, not pumping, not shorting.

He got me into Twilio 14 months ago when it was in the 20’s and it closed yesterday at 135 (more than quintupled). That’s worth 100 years of subscriptions right there! Also Alteryx in the 20’s, now in the 80’s. He helped me decide that the MDB risk from amazon wasn’t the end of the world and get back in.

You should reconsider.

Saul

31 Likes

And he’s been dead wrong (and stuck with Nutanix) and a couple others.

… and you have a perfect track record? I don’t. And if you follow the Gardners, they don’t expect perfection and will tell you up front that some picks will turn out quite poorly.

It’s the overall mix that counts.

🆁🅶🅱
wordlessly watching, he waits by the window and wonders…

4 Likes

Okay. Although this is borderline OT, it is related to finding great growth stocks So I’ll post once more.

All of your input has helped me think through this. I’ll keep reading Bert’s thoughts for the remained of my subscription and will likely keep it…

The point about one good pick paying for the service forever kind of sells it. Though that could be an excuse to waste a bunch of $ on subscription services so I do need to be careful and only subscribe to the best.

Time will tell.

Thanks everyone

Last post on this thread! Email me if you want to discuss further please.

1 Like

Austin, I completely understand your sentiment, as you are someone who stands out on this board for trying to truly be a long term investor in these companies. And I believe one of the best ways to do that, if not the only way, is to ignore most of the information. The vast majority here will jump when the ship tilts, and they all will tilt at some point. Only to recover. That is the nature of high growth companies.

This is a great board and I enjoy following it. Yet, it’s the exact opposite of how I’ve managed to be a very successful investor. I hold still…1997 AMZN shares, 2007 AAPL, 2012 NFLX, and a whole bunch of 2009 shares in a mix of great companies. 1000’s of percent increases. That would not be the case if I had acted on quarterly reports or the inevitable and temporary sour news. Life changing. Yada Yada.

conifer

18 Likes

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Hey Flieb,
I am having the same thoughts but for other reasons.
Lately it is starting to look like Bert’s picks are the same as Saul’s! I’m seriously wondering these days which came first the chicken or the egg?
Feels like Bert is following Saul more than the reverse. LOL

2 Likes

MoneySlob stated:
“I am having the same thoughts but for other reasons.
Lately it is starting to look like Bert’s picks are the same as Saul’s! I’m seriously wondering these days which came first the chicken or the egg?
Feels like Bert is following Saul more than the reverse.”

If Bert and Saul(as well as others on this board whose opinions I respect) like a stock, that gives me much more confidence that it is a stock that I should review/analyze further. I do not care who recommends the stock first. Each one analyzes at a company a little differently. Saul’s methodology has been stated in this board, the knowledgebase, etc. Bert seems to take a deeper dive in the technology. Well worth it to me to have both opinions.

11 Likes