Good for business?

I’m beginning to to think Musk isn’t as bright or as good a businessman as he thinks he is.

10 Likes

No one is everything even after becoming the richest man in the world.

Note Musk is into politics as much as Soros and only Soros is actually trying to do good in this world on the individual level. Musk is trying to do engineering good.

Or very simply everyone has problems why should Musk be any exception.

Musk wont be big enough to admit he is very wrong.

Yes, everyone has problems.

But not everyone spreads hate.

7 Likes

Just because he was born Jewish, disliking Soros is not anti semitic.

Initially I liked Soros and was kind of proud that another Hungarian had made good on the world stage. That admiration has turned into a very strong dislike. One incident that disturbed me was when he fired Stanley Druckenmiller in 2000 to cover his own mistake, or so it seemed to me at the time.

The Captain

3 Likes

Captain,

You are ignoring what the actual comments were. Musk is targeting you.

There were Jews on the right who voted for Hitler but only once.

1 Like

If you dislike Soros for firing someone to cover his own mistake, you must despise Musk. He fired half of a company to cover his mistake.

Unfortunately, the far right and neo-nazis have attacked Soros with lies for years. Here’s a link from a 2018 article that details a bit (yes, they’ve been doing it for many years):

Maybe Musk attacking Soros is just a coincidence. And maybe unicorns will show up in my backyard later today. I seriously doubt both.

8 Likes

Circumstances matter. At Twitter supernumeraries were fired.

The Captain

2 Likes

80% of the employees where supernumerary? Seems like even Musk is now acknowledging that might have been a mistake.

Elon Musk: Twitter Will Try to Rehire Some of Employees He Fired.

Elon Musk Says Twitter Will Try to Rehire Some of the 6,300 Employees He Fired

Snip:

[Musk:] “Desperate times call for desperate measures… Unfortunately, if you do it fast, there are some babies who will be thrown out [with the bathwater],”

Wrongly terminated employees (babies) got tossed out. The irony of calling them babies while engaging in trying to win them back to twitter.

5 Likes

Sorry about the WaPo paywall. Try these:

6 Likes

I think there are 2 separate issue here:

1. Comments on Soros - I wish Musk doesnt say those things…It really doesnt matter whether he is right or wrong…I really wish he doesnt engage in that (and for once, the CNBC Host did ask some reasonably appropriate questions on this, so kudos to him)

2. Twitter firing -

Did Musk overpay - YES
Was Musk wrong in firing - No one but him would know that…I do believe he needed to fire a lot,…may be he went full throttle as he felt the economy will go down bad and did what he felt was necessary to ensure twitter survived…
Will Musk be able to re-hire best talents - YES

Again - I echo Captains comments on another thread

Its fine to NOT like Elon Musk’s personal qualities…but as an investor, I would not want that to cloud my judgement in investing in a company which may well be one of a kind in our life time!

For the sake of climate change, I truly wish to see TSLA succeed big time!

And he knows a thing or two about running companies against all odds!!

2 Likes

Sorry, but expecting perfection is a waste of time. The good executive sees and acknowledges his/her/its mistakes and fixes them, like Musk rehiring some people. Buffet bought Berkshire Hathaway!

The Captain

1 Like

These darn Capitalists trying to make another buck! As if they didn’t already have enough already! LOL

Thanks, I’ll get back to you later. Right now the market is closing and I want to see if I made any bucks today. :wink:

The Captain

2 Likes

I completely agree, but unfortunately (from the same article)…

Faber responded, “So you just don’t care.” Musk replied, “I’ll say what I want to say, and if the consequence of that is losing money, so be it.”

A good executive also should put building shareholder value above their own petty desire to attack others. I don’t want an executive that doesn’t care about offending a significant portion of his customer base. It is bad for business.

More:

Losing fans of both twitter and Tesla faster than he is gaining them (net favorability and net trust are down for both). Unpopular products do not tend to sell as well as popular products (all else being equal).

As a previous owner of Tesla stock, that is concerning.

7 Likes

It is bigotry.

Not sure how it can be explained away unless bigotry is your goal.

2 Likes

What really ticks me off was Musk trying to compare himself to one of The Princess Bride’s heroes, Inigo Montoya. Dude, did Soros kill your father?

Musk comparing himself to Inigo Montoya?

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

Wait until Mandy Patinkin hears about this. Harumph!

4 Likes

We are going to disagree which is fine because this is not about right or wrong but about preferences.

Why ‘previous owner?’ Did you have a problem with your Tesla? I have been cutting back on my TSLA shares as I’m switching to covered calls but I’m holding a large position for the long term because I see Tesla as the most successful innovative business out there with huge total addressable markets, EVs, storage, humanoid robots, AI, etc.

I first heard about Elon Musk when he touted battery swapping after a small Chinese company was doing it. I did not like him nor did I invest in Tesla. I was invested in the small Chinese company, Kandi (KNDI) which is now starting to sell EVs in California.

I did not like Steve Jobs. I liked John Scully, the sugar water salesman who bankrupted my uncle’s food factory after it was acquired by PepsiCo, even less. Microsoft treated their certified developers better than Apple. Still, I have been an Apple and Mac user since around 1978 or 9. Why? Because they were the best products on the market.

Why unfortunate? I back Musk on that! What’s unfortunate about speaking your mind? Is lying better?

Do you know who runs Business Insider?

Due to his violations of securities laws and subsequent civil trial conviction, Blodget is permanently banned from involvement in the securities industry.[2] Blodget is the CEO of Business Insider .[3]

Some recent studies back up the anecdotes. The research firm Morning Consult found that Tesla’s net favorability rating among Democrats dropped by 20% between October and November. Favorability among Republicans improved slightly.

Musk switched parties from Democrat to Republican. Could that have anything to do with it?

The article is based on the opinion of one man, Bob Perkowitz, a businessman, environmentalist, writer, and investor. I was not impressed.

• You don’t like Musk and you don’t want to drive Teslas? Fine by me.
  • You don’t like Musk and you don’t want to invest in Tesla? Fine by me.
  • You don’t like Musk and you want him to shut up? NOT fine by me.

Has Musk hurt Tesla? They are selling all the cars they can produce at a nice profit. Mega packs are doing great. The Optimus robot is coming along nicely as is FSD. Breaking ground on new Giga Factory in Mexico and lithium refinery in Texas. News about a new factory in India.

It seems that everybody wants his business except Democrats. :moneybag:

As an ex-management consultant I give Musk a very high score on his management skills which does not mean he is the most beloved boss by everybody but one who is beloved by most of the best workers. I also give Warren Buffet a very high score for being the polar opposite, totally hands off except for the cash.

The Captain

2 Likes

ADL

Many of those conspiracy theories employ longstanding antisemitic myths, particularly the notion that rich and powerful Jews work behind the scenes, plotting to control countries and manipulate global events.

Leon Trotsky did…

Born into a wealthy Russian Jewish family in Yanovka (now Bereslavka, Ukraine),[4] Trotsky embraced Marxism after moving to Nikolayev in 1896. In 1896, he briefly enrolled at Odessa University to study mathematics before abandoning his formal education to support political agitation among workers.[5]

Karl Marx…

Karl Marx was born in 1818 in Trier, Prussia; he was the oldest surviving boy in a family of nine children. Both of his parents were Jewish, and descended from a long line of rabbis, but his father, a lawyer, converted to Lutheranism in 1816 due to contemporary laws barring Jews from higher society.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Reuters

VERDICT
False. Conspiracy theories about George Soros visible in this post are unfounded.

The fact that some people make up stories that are false does not prove Soros innocent.

The Guardian

Democrats do hate Tucker Carlson. I’ve listed to a few of his presentations trying to verify his biases but have yet to find anything unsavory.

Founded by textile traders and merchants, in its early years The Guardian had a reputation as “an organ of the middle class”,[175] or in the words of C. P. Scott’s son Ted, “a paper that will remain bourgeois to the last”.[176] Associated at first with the Little Circle and hence with classical liberalism as expressed by the Whigs and later by the Liberal Party, its political orientation underwent a decisive change after World War II, leading to a gradual alignment with Labour and the political left in general.

Forbes

Paywall

The Times of Israel

The backlash against Soros, a lightning rod for conservative groups opposed to his funding of liberal causes, stems from donations he made to the criminal justice group Color of Change, which endorsed Bragg for DA in 2021.

Soros is one of the largest Democrat donors.

ABC News

Social media is just the latest way to sow hatred of Jewish people.

Conspiracy theories containing anti-Semitic disinformation play on primal fears about obsolescence and loss of status. They revolve around themes that resist disconfirmation: greed, pretense, the illegitimate appropriation of status and privilege, clandestine power, unseen control and genocidal bloodlust.

I could not find anything about Soros worth discussing, Soros appears six times in the article.

In conclusion, the Left says that the stories about Soros are disinformation.

Initially I liked Soros as I mentioned above. I read one of his books, I don’t recall the title, and was not impressed. Largest Democrat donor, what is he buying? Member WEF, Davos crowd, big negative.

Soros is not being attacked for his Jewishness but for his use of his money and influence. Politics is a dirty business.

The Captain

3 Likes

Right on queue!

Perfect.

5 Likes

I know exactly what Musk meant. Exactly what he said.

The Captain

3 Likes

I know exactly what he said, but I’m not sure he knows exactly what he meant. But I don’t really care. I don’t care if he acts the fool with Twitter as long as he does a good job with TSLA. I can imagine a number of stockholders saying, “if you kill my TSLA shares, prepare to die.”

Pete

2 Likes