Good wireless keyboard?

I bought a smaller than full size wireless keyboard and mouse set from JellyComb a few years ago, and it has been a constant annoyance. The keyboard often multi-types or is very slow to respond, and though the mouse has been working pretty well (aside from chewing up AAA batteries), it recently started requiring multiple click to register a left button click (the scroll wheel has always been good and still is).

At this point I’m back to using a wired mouse and the JellyComb keyboard. But at this point I totally sick of being unable to get used to the shallower key presses and slightly smaller size of the keyboard compared to a full size one. After two years I still can’t touch type like I can with a full size keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a reliable full size wireless keyboard and mouse combo that doesn’t chew up batteries? I think I’d like one without the numeric keypad though having one wouldn’t be a deal breaker. This is for use with an Wintel laptop, BTW.

that doesn’t chew up batteries?

And this is why, for over a decade now, I have used corded mice and keyboards. The reliability is there and the mouse never stops working... for the lack of a power source. Still using a corded MS 5 button mouse I bought over 10 years ago. Works great!

I would give strong RECs to this route... because: 1.) Never having to break your concentration to change batteries... 2.)Oops, forgot to buy batteries? Well, now where are you once your mouse/key is dead? 3.) IMPO, I've not found wireless devices to be reliable.

So, now I have a question for you... why are you still using wireless/battery eating devices? Is there a SPECIFIC reason? Please think about the "convenience"... or I prefer to say "inconvenience".

[ww.YMMV.pl/...andmicearementtohavetails!/](http://ww.YMMV.pl/...andmicearementtohavetails!/)
4 Likes

Can anyone recommend a reliable full size wireless keyboard and mouse combo that doesn’t chew up batteries?

I’ve had good luck with Logitech. Pretty much any of them, although the simpler the better. One key is keeping the receiver close to the keyboard and mouse. You can use a USB extension cable to get the receiver up onto your physical desktop. If necessary, tape the cable to the back of your desk.

I generally go about 2 years between battery changes. That’s with daily work level kind of use. My job has me on the computer most of the day.

–Peter

2 Likes

So, now I have a question for you… why are you still using wireless/battery eating devices? Is there a SPECIFIC reason? Please think about the “convenience”… or I prefer to say “inconvenience”.

Well, I had been using a wired keyboard and mouse for all of my life except the last two. I was enticed by the idea of not having to mess with - or look at - unsightly cable clutter on my kitchen table(which is where my laptop permanently lives). But your points are valid. I’ve never had a wired mouse or keyboard give me one moment of trouble in over 30 years of using them!

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with Logitech. Pretty much any of them, although the simpler the better. One key is keeping the receiver close to the keyboard and mouse. You can use a USB extension cable to get the receiver up onto your physical desktop. If necessary, tape the cable to the back of your desk.

I generally go about 2 years between battery changes. That’s with daily work level kind of use. My job has me on the computer most of the day.

I’ve looked at the Logitech ones, but the particular model seems to matter (if the comments on Amazon mean anything at all - maybe they don’t). The JellyComb combo I’m using now has a tiny USB receiver plugged into a USB port on the side of my laptop a mere 16 inches or less from the keyboard and mouse!

Two years between battery changes and rock solid reliability would be nice. Do both your keyboard and mouse get that? What model Logitech is it?

on my kitchen table(which is where my laptop permanently lives)

So why are you using an external keyboard?

(Note: On a Windows laptop, “the horrible placement of the touchpad” is a valid reason - and I’ve watched several discussions of that without seeing anyone propose an actually-currently-available fix in that environment; nor on Macs. On Linux, look for an install package for “Touchpad Indicator” which - among other options - can automatically detect an external mouse and TURN OFF THE EFFIN’ TOUCHPAD. )

unsightly cable clutter on my kitchen table

This I get... but I'm over it. lol I now have a desk, in our home office.

Laptop? Then all you need is the mouse, right? One cabled mouse, one power cable and use the laptops keys. Right?

That's not so bad... you don't want to see my desk! [ *dual monitors (laptop & ext), usb hub & ext plug-ins (plural), cat5, headset and power! ...all cabled* ] ...and it works well. (o;\

[ww.geeky4far2long.pl/notsorry/](http://ww.geeky4far2long.pl/notsorry/)

Do both your keyboard and mouse get that?

Ah, but mind the batteries you use. There are longer-life batteries... for example: Mrs PL uses these in her blood pressure machine. They do last much longer, but are much more expensive. YMMV

[ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl](http://ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl)

Down for Everyone or Just Me

Ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl Status
Is ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl down right now?
It’s not just you! ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl is down.

I resisted wireless mice for years and years. I wore out a couple of my favorite Microsoft wire mice along the way. One day, on an impulse, I bought a Logitech wireless mouse at Costco. I’ll never go back to a wired mouse. The wire had too much influence on the motion of the mouse, and I would not put up with it again.

I like my discontinued Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 too much to give it up, but if I had to go wireless I would start with the Logitech keyboard and mouse bundle at Costco* (membership required). They sell the mouse alone for $30, the combo for $55. I admit that $25 more for the keyboard doesn’t seem promising, but it is still where I would start.

https://www.costco.com/logitech-mk825-wireless-keyboardmouse…

*(Yes, I’m a Costco stock holder. Also something of an overly enthusiastic customer.)

4 Likes

Two years between battery changes and rock solid reliability would be nice. Do both your keyboard and mouse get that?

Yes. The keyboard might get a bit longer.

What model Logitech is it?

I’ve been happy with both the MK710 and MK320. Used both for a number of years until the keyboard itself started having sticky key issues. (Most likely from spills and such over the years - I typically have a can of diet soda with me while working.) I only switched from the 710 to the 320 because the 710 wasn’t available in the store when I went to buy one, and didn’t want to wait for one to be shipped.

I have a little preference for the mouse that comes with the 710 combo. But I use a 320 mouse (it’s available separately) when traveling with my laptop since it’s smaller. The 710 mouse (really the M705 mouse - when sold separately) is strictly for right handed mousing, so left handed mousers will be very unhappy with it.

–Peter

1 Like

Ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl Status
Is ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl down right now?
It’s not just you! ww.yagetwhatyapay4.pl is down.

My goodness. How often do I need to do these formal introductions?

Jean, Poodle. Poodle, Jean.

Jean likes double first names and linux computers.

Poodle likes poodles and URLs that should be read and not clicked on.

–Peter

4 Likes

I actually have a Dynex (BestBuy in house brand) wireless keyboard. It’s a slightly compact model but still has a full size keyboard and dedicated number pad. The horizontal foot print is reduced by removing excess dead space between the number pad and qwerty keyboard. Battery life is fantastic.
The keyboard came with a mouse but I prefer a Logitech M570 wireless trackball. My old wired mouse was always hanging up on items on my desk. Switching to a trackball reduced that problem since you don’t manipulate the entire mouse.
The Logitech needs one AA size battery every year or two. The Dynex keyboard uses two AAA size batteries and they last 2-3 years.

Peter, she is just being stupid about it. Please ignore her when she’s “acting out”.

ww.thanks.pl/Ialreadydo/

Poodle likes poodles and URLs that should be read and not clicked on.

What good is a “URL” that is not a URL?

You are so narrow minded.

ww.EOC.pl

Peter, she is just …

Interesting. I’ve always read it as a French name and therefore probably male.

—Peter

ww.strange.pt/theassumptionswemake

2 Likes

So why are you using an external keyboard?

Because I detest typing on laptop keyboards, and even more so, using their touchpads. Also, my laptop is on on a stand to put the top of the display at eye level, so I need to be able to type on a keyboard that’s on the table where my arms naturally rest.

1 Like

Laptop? Then all you need is the mouse, right? One cabled mouse, one power cable and use the laptops keys. Right?

Nope. See my last post: laptop keyboards gall me, as do their touch pads, and my laptop is on a stand where the keyboard is out of reach of my natural arm placement.

2 Likes

The MK825 seems to be a Costco-only device and I’m not a member. Amazon has them in “used” or “renewed” condition. But the keyboard is a bit too bulky for my liking. I don’t need or want a huge palm rest. Not sure what the equivalent would be on Amazon, maybe the MK550 or MK735, or MK875 but they’re even bulkier. I’m currently strongly considering the MK270 for a mere $20, but perhaps I risk “getting what I pay for” syndrome.