Hammock rope anchor

We have a hammock that is anchored by a pair of ropes so it won’t spin round and round. One of the anchors has come loose. Basically, it was a metal sleeve that was crimped around the rope. Images included. TIA.

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

For a short-term fix, just tie the rope to the eyehook. It’ll be difficult to reattach the rope to the metal sleeve without a good crimping tool. And even then, it’ll probably come out again.

3 Likes

And, YouTube “hammock knots”.

:alien:
ralph

The “hammock knots” appear to be how to suspend a hammock. I didn’t see anything about the thick stabilizing ropes.

Tying to the eyehook is doable. The rope is very thick, so even a bowline or square knot would be very large. Maybe it would be possible to loop the rope through the eye, and instead of tying it off, I could find a fastener that would to attach it to itself. I once learned how to splice a rope, but this weave is tight and would be a royal PITA to do.

1 Like

Not without the right crimping tool. But you can make a pretty neat fix by just running the top through the metal ring, and then using two cable ties, pulled as snug as possible, to fasten it to itself. A knot would be better insurance, but with rope that thick you’d have to double it and the knot would be huge.

If you wanted super-duper insurance, you could take an upholstery needle and thread and push it through one rope, then the other, etc. on the folded part of the rope. The hammock and human weight will be borne by the rope, you’re just trying to have the rope squeeze together looped around the metal ring.

1 Like

Tie a bowline or other knot that won’t slip and use a carabiner to attach the knot to the eye hook

Mike

2 Likes

You need to go to a store selling sail boat line aka (rope by non nautical folk). One thing that would certainly work would be a thimble. They come with different openings (mostly small), however you probably could spring one over the eye. As you walk around the store you like will find something that you like better.

Do not confine you looking to line – also look at wire connections - think the wires that hold a mast steady above the deck when the sail has a few thousand lbs of force.

LOLOLOL I’m reminded of this:

:alien:
ralph

2 Likes

Is there enough slack for any of these ideas? Even Goofyhoofy’s simple loop through with cable ties requires the rope reach farther than it used to, and knots will be worse. If there is slack, since it is only intended to prevent inversion, I think the cable-ties approach would be the easy simplest to implement and if it proves problematic more complicated approaches are still available.

2 Likes

Can you give this a try?

Take end of existing rope and lightly heat it (assuming this is nylon?)
Rope becomes more unified with heat applied
Put rope back into the sleeve as it used to be (all the way in)
Drill very small holes through the rope and both sides of the sleeve
Install a rivet like this through the holes on the sleeve → https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Medium-Rivets-RMS1-8IP/202061309
Repeat with a couple of more holes.

That may work.
'38Packard

2 Likes

Love that Big Bang Theory show and that particular bit was hilarious like this thread lol.

How was the end of the rope attached to the anchor. Was it glued? If you want it to look good you will need to find a tube of commercial adhesive like that Flex Glue stuff I see on TV that holds 3500 lbs and try to see if that works. It will look good too! Another thought is that you could drill the end of that anchor where the line connects and run it into the anchor and then put a metal crimp or just tie a know that wouldn’t pull through…doc

1 Like

It originally was crimped. No evidence of glue. They just jammed it in the metal cylinder, and some large tool crimped it. I could drill it, of course. But I’m not sure how the rope would stand up to having a bolt or cotter pin through it. It might make it unravel over time. Not sure.

Hi @1poorguy,

I would not do the drill tip!

The rope appears to be a kernmantle rope. The internal fibers are what gives it strength and a lower “bounce.” You would seriously weaken the rope by drilling through the core.

If it was me, I would just replace the rope and would run the new rope over the cross-piece or buy a rope thimble to make a loop to go over a new hook.

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
https://discussion.fool.com/u/gdett2/activity (Click Expand)

2 Likes

1pg! - Rope is really cheap! Just replace it with whatever length you need to do a half hitch whoever it needs to be!! Done!

3 Likes

Get a longer link if this is an issue. You can get a cheap carabiner at any home center store or make your own wire loop from braided wire and ferrules. Plenty strong, and you don’t need any special equipment. Just slam the ferrules with a screwdriver at one or two points, and loop at two ends. Make the length custom to the size you need.

It’ll be a lot smaller and better looking that a big knot in that rope.

2 Likes

Keep in mind if any metal you consider/buy is ferrous, it will rust. A zinc (galvanized) coating will not hold up to metal rubbing on metal. If you are added any metal, think about getting stainless – one of the reason I pointed you at sail boat suppliers.

You tell is a metal is ferrous by checking with a magnet. (200 series stainless steels will not rust and are magnet - an exception to the general comment above)

2 Likes

Need to borrow a crimper?

Or if really tiny…

4 Likes

If you lived next door (or nearby) I’d take you up on it. I’ll have to weigh the options outlined in this thread and see what I can do. I’m sure there’s a marine store somewhere around, even though we are in the middle of a desert.

1 Like

Aye, there’s been a few times it would have been handy to be a neighbor! I was looking earlier for a pic of my T&B power lugs, a ton of #6 awg and other sizes that might be useful, aha, found them, part of what’s in this cabinet in the garage… Leftovers… Stuff…

Blue are #6, Red are #8, a variety of larger ones in the rear compartment…

1 Like

Or use a wire rope clamp similar to these instead of the zip ties. You could probably buy just 1 or 2 at any hardware store or home improvement center. If not in the fastener aisle, check where they sell the chains & wire rope/cable.

https://www.amazon.com/HEVERP-20PCS-Stainless-Steel-Cable/dp/B07CPP5RJH/

3 Likes