How do you track your portfolio?

I have been meaning to ask this for sometime now. Some of the posts I enjoy reading the most are the end-of-month summaries by Saul, Bear and many other contributors here. I have always wondered what everyone uses to track their portfolio’s performance, and what your recommendations would be for someone with little knowledge of excel (but willing to learn).

My platform offers nowhere near the detail I see in the monthly reports here, I only get individual and total percentage figures, but no information on month to month changes, or historical data.

Would really appreciate any input on this.

Many thanks,
wanu

3 Likes

I only get individual and total percentage figures, but no information on month to month changes, or historical data.

As for month to month changes, I simply keep a weekly list of my portfolio results for the year (dollar total and percent gain or loss) and have been keeping it for over 25 years now. When I get to the end of the year I start again at 100%. To get multi-year totals it’s simple: If I was down 2% one year, up 12% the next, and up the 19% third year, the total is 0.98 times 1.12 times 1.19 = 1.306 so I was up 30.6% for the three years. There’s a lot more on this in the Knowledgebase that you’ll find in the column on the right of this page.

Saul

3 Likes

I use four portfolio wide spreadsheets, one spreadsheet for each individual position, and a Portfolio web-app I’ve been developing over the years starting from a FileMaker Pro database that dates back to around 1990.

In addition online I use Yahoo, BigCharts from MarketWatch, SeekingAlpha, Google search, TMF, NASDAQ, OTCMarkets.com and anything else that can provide useful information.

While some brokers offer some services I have not been able to recreate none offer the collection of tools to track my portfolio the way I want to track it. But they do provide a lot of information that I find completely useless. LOL

By all means, learn Excel, a most useful tool, and develop some database expertise. Those are the two tools that let you build anything you need to track a portfolio. You can also migrate these tools to the web using an open source database like MariaDB (a replacement for MySQL) and phpExcel lets you add Excel functionality. Unfortunately free Yahoo downloads are getting more problematic by the day as Yahoo sinks into their quagmire. Buying data to download gets expensive and I have avoided it so far.

You can start with something very simple and build up as you gain experience.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

I use one spreadsheet (well, has some attached sheets as data) for several ports of different owners. I would be glad to give you a copy but it’s complicated enough that I figure I’ll know when I’m getting senile because I won’t remember how to use it. So sorry, but I don’ think it would be much help and might scare you.

The hardest part any more IMO, is data. It’s getting harder and harder to come by and if you throw in the “free” requirement (I like free) it’s getting really hard to find. Microsoft also quit their StockQuote function entirely a couple years ago and since I don’t code for web apps, I now have to update my ports by copying a portfolio from Zacks and pasting it into Excel. Works fine, but it was a lot easier when the prices flowed automatically and continuously.

I hear Google docs has some good tools for investors, you might check out their spreadsheet. I’m due for software updates and am considering doing that myself. Microsoft is getting to the point where they’re going to charge us each time we use their bugware, so it’s time to find a better mousetrap.

You can also use free portfolios at many sites including Zacks and one I really like is at Stock Rover and includes nice visuals, analyst recs, etc., plus it lets you compare a company to others in the industry, sector, or whatever, all at a glance.

Software does not increase returns. But it sure does eat up your free time if you let it. Ask me how I know. :slight_smile: I recommend learning investing first, and building pretty software later if you think you still need it.

Dan

1 Like

Software does not increase returns. But it sure does eat up your free time if you let it. Ask me how I know. :slight_smile: I recommend learning investing first, and building pretty software later if you think you still need it.

Software can eat up a lot of your time. I’m so glad I love doing the stuff! I just squished a couple of bugs in mine. :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

wanu,

I have been meaning to ask this for sometime now. Some of the posts I enjoy reading the most are the end-of-month summaries by Saul, Bear and many other contributors here. I have always wondered what everyone uses to track their portfolio’s performance, and what your recommendations would be for someone with little knowledge of excel (but willing to learn).

Those posts are my favorite part of the board too. And I know what you mean – I’m not terribly Excel-fluent either, and have looked at many free solutions and tried some. Others were just too complex for me.

Lately I’ve been using – yes, using! – a portfolio tracking spreadsheet that uses Google Spreadsheets – sort of an Excel SaaS hosted on Google Drive. It’s not crazy complicated, but does give you a pretty clear snapshot of how your investments are doing. It still doesn’t give me everything I could wish for, but Spreadsheets seems a fairly forgiving environment so far.

https://www.oldschoolvalue.com/blog/investment-tools/the-bes…

Best Wishes,
Jack

5 Likes

OK, I’ll give this a shot . . .

I use an Excel spreadsheet I hand built. I’m not an Excel guru so it’s pretty simple. Saul keeps track of his investments manually. Seems labor intensive to me, but he’s been at for a long time, so at this point changing his record keeping would probably be more labor intensive than to just keep doing what he’s used to.

I’m pretty new to this, but I’ve got a background for it. I was an enterprise architect at a Fortune 50 company. My specialty was information management.

First thing I’ll warn you is that you will be tempted to record and track far more information than you will ever find useful. Saul tracks his portfolio every week. I have no idea why he would ever want to look back and see how he was doing the 29th week of 2006, but should the desire ever arise, he can dig through his records and find it. I keep a snapshot of my portfolio(s) every month. Even that might be more than is useful. Certainly, after a few years it will constitute useless storage. Many people on this board (and folks in general) have commented on the enormous explosion of data growth. It’s true. But pause and ask yourself how much of it has any utility. Data/information (i won’t go into what distinguishes the two, but I did write the definition for the company where I worked) is like any other asset. All but a very few of them (those to which we attribute “antique” status) gets stale in time and eventually reaches a point where the cost of storage, maintenance, search, retrieval etc far outweighs its value. In other words, it becomes a liability rather than an asset, but there never was much discipline about purge of out dated paper documents, and now that it’s invisible (digital) there is virtually no motivation to manage it. Hence it grows without limit or bounds. We’ve even invented new technologies (i.e. Hadoop, mondodb, and others) to maintain mostly “unstructured” (a term I hate) files.

So first, think about it. What’s useful for you today, next week, next month, next year . . .

My spreadsheet is pretty simple. At the top I carry some summary info. Cumulative value, 1st of the year value, cash position and performance of all my portfolios and separate value, 1st of the year value, cash position and performance for each individual portfolio. I calculate performance as Saul has documented in the knowledgebase. So each year I reset everything. Careful about cash infusions and withdrawals during the year, Saul explains how to handle these actions as they should not influence performance. All the summary information (except 1st of the year position) is calculated from detailed information recorded in the spreadsheet.

The body of the spreadsheet allows for entry of 20 different stocks, could be a lot more, but I don’t anticipate holding more than 20 different stocks at a time so it’s enough.

The first six columns are titled: Ticker, Total Qty, Current Qt, Qt date, Type (stock or put/call option), Strike (for options). All are manual input other than Total Qty.

The next five columns are calculated summary for all portfolios combined. They are titled: Current value, Total Acq Cost, Gn/Ls $, Gn/Ls %, % of Holdings.

This is followed by seven columns grouped for each portfolio (I have 3 portfolios, a taxable trust account, a traditional IRA, and a Roth IRA, so same columns are shown for each portfolio). They are titled: Qty, Current Value, Total Acq Cost, Committed (only used for cash covered put options), Gn/Ls $, Gn/Ls %, % of Portfolio. The only fields I maintain manually are Quantity and Total Acq Cost, all other entries are calculated.

I update the manual information as necessary (anytime I have a transaction), or just when I want up to date information. I don’t save the updates except last day of the month after the market closes when I take a snapshot and save it to a separate sheet for the month.

A word about my first line, which is labeled *cash (the * forces is to the top when sorting). I enter the cash position of each portfolio and copy the value to the current value and acquisition cost cells.

At this time I do not track company information (i.e. Quarterly revenue, earnings, sequential and yoy growth, etc.). I do not track my individual transaction. I do not keep notes. All this and maybe more would be worthwhile tracking, at least for 8 quarters, but I don’t do it yet. In time, I’ll probably add some pages to my book for this information, but I’ve just not done it yet. I have all the information, or access to it. My broker keeps all my transaction data, you can go look up quarterly reporting, etc. Which is what I do when I find it necessary. But at this point, it’s a matter of extra data entry effort for what I believe to be little long-term value.

Once again, I encourage you to keep it simple and minimal. Don’t be fooled into thinking the more information I track, the better investor I will be. It’s just not true. My experience is the more information you track and try and consider, the more befuddled you will become. You can drown yourself quickly with financial information. Most of it will not improve your investing decisions.

9 Likes

So first, think about it. What’s useful for you today, next week, next month, next year . . .

The actual trades that one makes. That never goes stale because it’s the history of your portfolio and it lets you do any calculations you might wish to make at a later date. That was the first thing I did with a database, FileMaker Pro, and it as the start of what I have today. It is important to emphasize that recording data for posterity in a spreadsheet is a big mistake because a spreadsheet is easily altered and data easily and irretrievably lost. The spreadsheet should only be used for “what if” calculations which can be redone at any time using the data from the database.

For comparisons with the entire market one can download price data from Yahoo which is currently having problems with the new design

Klein charts – dividends?
http://discussion.fool.com/klein-charts-dividends-32733299.aspx?..

Yahoo has made other changes that makes downloading data with a script difficult. I’m still working on mine to fix this problem. Free data is cheap but unreliable. Paying for data can get expensive.

BTW, when a company goes broke or is acquired it’s historic price disappears from Yahoo and other data sources.

At this time I do not track company information

Neither do I, I depend on what’s available online.

I do not track my individual transaction.

I do, that’s the bedrock of everything and its relatively a very small amount of data. But it should be in a database, not in a spreadsheet. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a spreadsheet for each individual position and I can import the data for them from my database.

Denny Schlesinger

Thank you all so much for such insightful replies. It seems like using spreadsheets is the norm. I have been meaning to learn Excel for a while now, this might be what gets me started on that path. Though I am fully aware of what RaptorD2 (Dan) mentioned with regards to learning software vs learning investing, I am focused on the latter for now since I am just starting out.

Jack, many thanks for that link, this is actually very close to what I am looking for, seems straight forward to use too which is a big plus from a none techie such as myself. Will start using it and take it from there.

Brittlerock, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. Definitely in agreement that too much information is not necessarily better. What I am hoping to achieve is some improvement on what my broker offers, and maybe a way to see the performance of the portfolio month to month. Very helpful of you to share what you look for in a portfolio tracker. Again, your post was very helpful, really appreciate it!

2 Likes

One other caution about using Excel is that it is very easy to have an error and not realize it. One needs to keep checking one’s work.