Huge Macro payoff for tiny investment

Vitamin D is extremely important for maintaining health. The body makes Vitamin D when exposed to the sun. People with darker skin make less Vitamin D when exposed to the same amount of sun as a light-skinned person.

Black Americans have significantly higher mortality (death) from diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease and Covid-19, all of which have been linked to Vitamin D deficiency. The Macroeconomic impact of these diseases is huge, not to mention the tragic suffering of the individual patients.

New research shows that Black Americans have the same amount of mortality as White Americans when grouped by the blood level of Vitamin D. However, more Black Americans are deficient in Vitamin D so they have a higher mortality level.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog/increasing-vitamin-d-l…

It’s easy and inexpensive to take Vitamin D as a supplement to maintain a healthy level in the blood. I take 5,000 I.U. per day of Vitamin D and recently had a blood level of 65 ng/ml, which is in the healthy range.

I find it frustrating that the tiny investment of less than 10 cents per day per person could save literally hundreds of billions of dollars in health care costs.

Please share this important information with all your friends and family, especially if they have dark skin and/or if they don’t get out into the sun much.

Wendy

6 Likes

New research shows that Black Americans have the same amount of mortality as White Americans when grouped by the blood level of Vitamin D. However, more Black Americans are deficient in Vitamin D so they have a higher mortality level.

Wendy,

That is far more likely to be an income and wealth disparity than a Vit D deficiency.

1 Like

WendyBG writes,

I find it frustrating that the tiny investment of less than 10 cents per day per person could save literally hundreds of billions of dollars in health care costs.

The for-profit health care industry looks at that 10 cent Vitamin D capsule and sees a “business killer”.

I first got interested in the pharmaceutical business in the early 1980’s after I got my MBA. Big Pharma was making billions of dollars off of peptic ulcers at the time. The pills didn’t cure anything, just managed symptoms. So you had to take them forever. And they were expensive.

After a few years of rising profits, an Australian doctor discovered that 30% of peptic ulcers were caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori. And a short course of cheap antibiotics would cure the ulcer.

The Big Pharma media engine quickly cast Dr. Marshall as a charlatan and a rouge. Dr. Barry Marshall won the 2005 Nobel Prize in Medicine for his work on ulcers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall

Marketing spin generates much more profit in the drug industry than research and actually curing disease.

intercst

10 Likes

—
That is far more likely to be an income and wealth disparity than a Vit D deficiency.

There are certainly wealth effects; at the same time, in the first sentence we read that “Black Americans have the same amount of mortality as White Americans when grouped by the blood level of Vitamin D.”

DB2

Please share this important information…

From my years of medical experience, you can lead a horse to water…

Interestingly enough, most people would rather take a pill than do the harder work of exercise and eating better. So this time it might work.

JLC

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, most people would rather take a pill than do the harder work of exercise…

Seems reasonable.

DB2

an Australian doctor discovered that 30% of peptic ulcers were caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori. And a short course of cheap antibiotics would cure the ulcer.

Yep.

I was diagnosed with ulcers and put on Tagamet and told I would have to take it forever.

A short while later my GP gave me the antibiotic. Ulcers were gone.

3 Likes

an Australian doctor discovered that 30% of peptic ulcers were caused by the bacteria Helicobacter pylori. And a short course of cheap antibiotics would cure the ulcer.

Yep.

I was diagnosed with ulcers and put on Tagamet and told I would have to take it forever.

A short while later my GP gave me the antibiotic. Ulcers were gone.

Wait. Doesn’t this cut into the profits of big pharmaceutical companies? What about the harm to the economy and possible jobs losses? Seems anti American to me?

1 Like

Interestingly enough, most people would rather take a pill than do the harder work of exercise…

Seems reasonable.

Hee hee, where’s my pill?

2 Likes

Hee hee, where’s my pill?

Someone needs to bring me a pill. I don’t want to get up from the couch. Too much effort involved.

PSU