I said I didn't want to be a beta tester

…for the latest iteration of “covid is no worse than the flu”, “this will all go away in a couple weeks”.

Nearly 700 Henry Ford employees test positive for COVID as hospitalization rates increase

Henry Ford Health System said their test positivity rate is now 41.8%.

“As of this morning we have 480 patients hospitalized with COVID across our hospitals. That’s a 25% increase compared to the past week,”

Henry Ford reports 65% of those hospitalized COVID patients have not received any doses of the vaccines.

“95% of our patients who are hospitalized with COVID or those who are in the ICU have not gotten their booster vaccine.

“Not all the monoclonal antibodies that have been approved by the FDA work against omicron which has led to supply shortages” Dr. Dennis Cunningham said. “We are down to our last 30 doses of monoclonal antibodies today.”

https://www.clickondetroit.com/health/2022/01/05/nearly-700-…

Running out of the antibodies that do work. Pfizer anti-viral that does work will not be available for months. The local news reported an increase in the number of people wanting to be vaccinated.

Steve…vaxxed, boosted, and in the bunker

6 Likes

I’m taking the opposite tack and heading to jump on a cruise ship - which should have a lower ratio of the diseased than my local supermarket or Costco.

No guts, no glory (I’d rather be lucky than smart)

Jeff

3 Likes

…which should have a lower ratio of the diseased than my local supermarket or Costco.

We leave it to the reader as an exercise to list the many ways in which this logic is flawed.

5 Likes

We leave it to the reader as an exercise to list the many ways in which this logic is flawed.

Perhaps, but it is probably the only way he could talk his wife into getting on the boat? }};-D

Anymouse <because I can’t spell anonymous and I do shop at Costco … very early when it first opens on a weekday before the crowd arrives>

Should add that Costco is our Pharmacy so I have to make the trip occasionally anyway.

2 Likes

…which should have a lower ratio of the diseased than my local supermarket or Costco.

The grocery store I shop at moved the bachelor chow to the back of the building in their remodel last year. When I was in there Monday, I went after 7pm, and took a different route to the back of the store, through the general merchandise. The alternate route was entirely devoid of people. The aisles of the bachelor chow department were also nearly devoid of people. On occasion that I did pass someone, I turned my head away and held my breath as I hurried past. Probably the most vulnerable time was standing in the checkout line as I couldn’t hold my breath that long. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.

Steve…no plague ship for me!

I’m taking the opposite tack and heading to jump on a cruise ship - which should have a lower ratio of the diseased than my local supermarket or Costco.

If you insist on going on a cruise, at least take precautions. I’m not saying that they’re enough (which is why I personally wouldn’t even consider going on a cruise anytime soon), but you should double down on protective measures.

You should be masked up most of the time. Hopefully, this would limit your exposure to high viral loads.

You should avoid eating junk food. There are healthy food options. If you’re going to eat unhealthy foods, at least be selective about which ones you eat. Only eat the higher quality and special junk foods. If I go on a cruise again, I won’t pass up escargot or baked Alaskan, but I would skip the French fries, fried chicken, and soft serve ice cream. (I don’t get very many chances in life to eat escargot or baked Alaskan. In contrast, French fries, fried chicken, and soft serve ice cream are available everywhere.)