If there were an NPI/Saul's board Best Buys

Seems like 3 or maybe 4 stocks would make up such a list at present, with the most recent quarterly results and the associated share price moves. The 3 that would seem to be almost definite picks for such a list are:

Pure Storage (ticker: PSTG) - earnings seemed to nicely validate that they’re moving along and growing nicely. Lots of enthusiasm from management at their Accelerate conference…and the shares are down maybe 10-15% from where they were before earnings?

Alteryx (ticker: ATX) - earnings were good, still growing the top line at 50-ish%; gross margins are crazy high. Duma brings up a possibly good point of "just how big is the market (especially that their price point) for their apparently magically simple data analysis/insight-obtaining tools? Still, the share price is down considerably from highs of a month to six weeks ago, and the 2 main apparent reasons are because Tableau put out a new product (which some fear will compete with Alteryx, but most around here seem to think they’re not at all competitive products) and because they got an amazing deal on some cash for an interest rate of 0.5%.

Nutanix (ticker: NTNX) - outstanding growth rates remain, maybe even hidden in plain site a bit with the kicking to the curb of the pass-through hardware revenues. Balance sheet looks really strong, with lots of cash. And yet, the share price dropped the day of the earnings. I have but orders out there ready to pounce if the 3-day rule plays out here (it did with PSTG, with a bit of a 4th day of a decline as well).

And maybe Pivotal (ticker: PVTL, if I am not mistaken) - to be honest, I have yet to read all the deep dives on Pivotal and don’t yet have much of a grasp of what they do. That is why they make this list only tentatively for me.

Any thoughts, corrections, clarifications?

My thoughts here are probably also influenced a bit by articles over on Seeking Alpha that may still remain free from Bert Hochfield and Gary Alexander, which I am not going to paste links for at this time due to posting this from my phone in the Frankfurt airport as a sleepy traveler.

volfan84
Long PSTG, AYX, NTNX
No PVTL position

21 Likes

I would also add TWLO to the list. With the growth they are putting up and UBER biz declining masking the growth a bit still and trading at 11 to 12 times sales when compared to others in the SAAS class seems like a good buy to me.

Good list!

Chris.

4 Likes

I don’t know about having Twilio there with the run-up they have already had…some might question, “well hasn’t Nutanix had quite the runup already, as well?”…and to that, I would simply say that I have more confidence in Nutanix to have some share price appreciation in the immediate/intermediate future.

1 Like

I agree, NTNX is a great value right now.

I still have TWLO on my list to buy with extra cash. Non UBER Rev 61% YOY growth and non UBER dollar net expansion rate of 145 is really impressive!! As the next couple quarters wind down it will be more obvious to the masses, so it’s a good time to buy now.

2 Likes

Ticker on Alteryx in the bolded paragraph entry is incorrect, though it is right in your disclosure note at the bottom. AYX. People considering buying should have done their own research and be more careful than to blindly type tickers into buy orders, but best not to present potential errors to them anyway. I’m talking about people reading your post and buying hastily, rather than you. Thanks for your contributions to the board.

And, for whatever it is worth, I’m also long PSTG, AYX & NTNX.

Justin

Ticker on Alteryx in the bolded paragraph entry is incorrect, though it is right in your disclosure note at the bottom. AYX. People considering buying should have done their own research and be more careful than to blindly type tickers into buy orders, but best not to present potential errors to them anyway. I’m talking about people reading your post and buying hastily, rather than you. Thanks for your contributions to the board.

And, for whatever it is worth, I’m also long PSTG, AYX & NTNX.

Justin

Yep, gotta be particularly careful with autocorrect and typing from a phone. The smaller screen makes it less likely to catch errors prior to hitting submit…and there is still no edit feature here on TMF’s boards…and ATX would make sense as a ticker for Alteryx almost moreso than AYX (which is the correct ticker).

Apologies for letting autocorrect mess up my previously correct typing…and I will try to be more diligent, especially typing from a small screen.

volfan84
Mixed feelings on Autocorrect
Long AYX; still need to visit “ATX” (Austin, TX)…long PSTG and NTNX as well, having nice 4+% up days today

Happy Fooliversary, volfan84!

• Matt
1 Like

Thanks Matt.

For further completing this thread, I should add the closing share prices for the proposed BBNs from last Friday, May 25, 2018.

NTNX - $52.50
AYX - $32.49
PSTG - $20.74
PVTL - $18.12
NVDA (since I agree with the choice, but didn’t consider it myself since I am overweight or already) - $246.76

Those are the prices to measure this thread against.

-volfan84
Heading to Petra

I think you would have to include Mongo on that list.

2 Likes

For further completing this thread, I should add the closing share prices for the proposed BBNs from last Friday, May 25, 2018.

NTNX - $52.50 a week later $56.72 for a gain of 8.04%
AYX - $32.49 a week later $35.13 or +8.13%
PSTG - $20.74 a week later, $22.55 or +8.73%
PVTL - $18.12 a week later $18.27 or +0.83%
NVDA (since I agree with the choice, but didn’t consider it myself since I am overweight NVDA already) - $246.76 a week later $257.62 or +4.04%

Those are the prices to measure this thread against.

-volfan84
Heading to Petra

Now that it is a week later and we have closing prices, I have added the new prices and gains in bold above for a way too early update on this BBN list from the Dead Sea before I head to bed. Have no fear, this will not be updated by me as nauseam…but this was a nice start for the 4 of the 5 I own (Sorry PVTL couldn’t keep up, Tinker, SteppenWulf, Saul, and others…I still remain ill-informed on it, with only so much brain RAM).

volfan84
Long PSTG, AYX, NTNX, & NVDA
No PVTL position…lots of deep dives remain yet-to-be-read

1 Like