Irish livestock

No mention in the article of what the price increases are going to be after millions of livestock are killed.

Ireland’s livestock numbers, both North and South, need to be reduced if climate targets are to be met
www.buzz.ie/news/irish-news/livestock-reduction-emissions-ca…
In order for legally binding climate targets to be met, and agricultural subsidies to be granted, the number of livestock on the island needs to go down…

Data released last week by the Department of Agriculture shows that the national herd stands at 6.66 million head of cattle…At the end of December 2020, there were more than 5.5 million sheep in Ireland…According to the North’s Agricultural Census 2021, total cattle numbers in Northern Ireland are just under 1.7 million. Northern Ireland has just under two million sheep…

In an analysis by KPMG, seen by The Guardian, it was found that a large-scale reduction in the number of farm animals was needed to meet climate targets. It’s estimated that more than half a million cows and 700,000 sheep would need to cut from the North’s herd in order for the North to meet its climate targets.

DB2

2 Likes

Eventually chemical engineers are going to get industrial grown meat from a culture to be cheaper and taste just as good.

The World’s First Industrial Line for Cultured Meat
https://youtu.be/8XUFrNQ7YSk

intercst

DB2,

One of my uncles owned a meatpacking plant in Belfast.

The report forgot to mention Pigs. There is a heck of a lot of sausage and bacon coming out of Ireland. No I did not read the news article. No time for it. If it is there you did not add it. If it is not in there figure the surest way to alienate Irish readers is to go after their sausage.

The report forgot to mention pigs. There is a heck of a lot of sausage and bacon coming out of Ireland. No I did not read the news article. No time for it. If it is there you did not add it. If it is not in there figure the surest way to alienate Irish readers is to go after their sausage.

The climate regs in this case are focused on methane. It is produced in large quantities by animals with divided stomachs (ruminants). Pigs do produced some methane (as do humans) but not in large quantities.

California is regulating its dairy industry, but are concentrating on the poop and methane digesters.

DB2

1 Like