It's ok to not know

People tend think that someone else knows more than they do. This has always baffled me. Just because you don’t know something doesn’t mean that someone else does. I think people in general or not ok not knowing something so they want an answer. Then someone who sounds confident comes along and assures you that it’s this way or that way. Religion (belief in a god) works this way. People want the answer so many tend to believe something when someone of “authority” tells them an answer. Some people don’t even question the assertion and take it as fact. One of the greatest things a human mind can do is to question assertions. Why am I posting this? Well, someone said that the “smart” money knows something. They certainly have specific knowledge about the companies that they are running but they have zero knowledge of a market top. Nobody knows that; they may have an opinion that may turn out to be correct but remember two things. First, understand the difference between a fact and an opinion. Second, remember that it’s ok to not know. And always question.

Chris

34 Likes

I’m fairly sure that most of us on this board are seriously outperforming hedge funds.
So much for ‘smart money’ generally knowing more.

HP

5 Likes

I understand someone’s concern about the market. We’re making more money on good days than we used to in a decent month. Is it too good to be true? None of us knows what’s coming around the corner. Most of the difference right now between panic and calm isn’t knowledge IMO. It’s experience. Many of us older farts (or more experienced younger farts) have played this team before. We know that whatever happens will happen and there’s nothing we can do about it but try to plan ahead as much as we are able, which sometimes seems like way too little.

But whatever’s coming will come regardless of what we think, guess, prognosticate, believe, publish, read, preach, gossip or hear at the pub. So to the worriers among us (hey, it’s ok; we’ve ALL been there) I would like to point out that 1) I know no more than you about what’s headed down this highway and neither does Saul nor Warren Buffett. 2) It’s coming for all of us—at the same speed, at the same time—and we’re all in this together. 3) Lastly, the time to get interested (nervous, if you must) is when the market has dropped a good 10-15% in a short time. Then it’s time to decide if we think (we don’t know!) the market will continue to fall or bounce right back up. Doing anything early will make us look like fools and our portfolio losses will feed Wall Street “professionals.” Personally I don’t like to feed those guys.

Regarding all the secondary offerings, there could be a multitude of reasons, including the theory that this is the top of the market. But before we get too riled up, consider the following, just so you understand the other side of the argument:

Scenario:

• You’re the CEO of an up and coming company with fast growing income, HQ in the US.
• Interest is near historic lows.
• Technology is growing fast and your company runs with technology.
• The administration is hell-bent on making businesses more profitable.
• Unemployment is low and falling.
• Sales are growing so fast your only problem is keeping up production (and the huge related expense.)
• Everything’s going great, but you’re the new guy on the block and you know without doubt that your competitors are all out to snipe you at the earliest opportunity.
• Your employees are fully onboard. They almost live at your office now, they can’t do any more.
• You’ve stretched your assets, your manpower and your future plans to the limit.
• But you see your competitors hiding in the bushes

… and you know that there will most likely never be this perfect storm in your career. Whatcha gonna do?

One thing you could do is … are you ready? You could lift some burden and raise capital for free. How, you ask.

Ha. Look at the news. You KNOW how.

Or, it could be a market top. I don’t know. I almost said I don’t care but that wouldn’t be true. I do know that when this train does slow—and it will—it will be nice to make buying decisions on some fundamental valuation platform that makes sense on a historical level. Because I’m an old fart. But experience hasn’t taught me what’s coming, hasn’t given a hint. But I know one thing I can NOT do. I can NOT act on emotion. I tried that once. Or was it a hundred times? I forget. Probably because it hurt so bad.

If you have to learn things the hard way, I understand, so go for it. Take your profits and your lumps. And when you do that enough times to get just enough experience, you can come back here and do a much better job than I in trying to save someone else the pain of learning from personal experience in another cycle that “we’ve never seen before.” It’s valuable, but it talk about a high price, and you thought SHOP was expensive. Phew!

Dan

8 Likes

And there’s a wide gulf between “knowledge” alone, and having the wisdom to act on knowledge.

2 Likes

“I’m fairly sure that most of us on this board are seriously outperforming hedge funds.”

Hedge funds are called that for a reason. They hedge which in a bull market is akin to constantly buying puts that roll off expiry. When the market goes into a tail spin is where they are supposed prove their worth.

Rob

1 Like

I’m fairly sure that most of us on this board are seriously outperforming hedge funds.
I wish!
A

2 Likes

I wish!

Unfortunately “wishing” won’t help and shouldn’t be a goal to achieve.

If you are not satisfied with the results of your portfolio your goal should probably be looking to seriously outperform your own personal portfolio. The easiest way to do that–Is to upgrade your portfolio- The easiest way to do that is to sell a loser from your portfolio and redeploy the funds into one of your winners.

Treat your portfolio like it was a garden–If you want the flowers to grow–pull the weeds out and water the ground. You don’t cut the flowers to make room for the weeds to grow.

b&w

4 Likes

A lot of hedge funds aren’t hedging like they should. The biggest example is probably LTCM (Long Term Capital Management), which used way too much leverage and got killed by black swans that they didn’t think were possible. But they were so big that the US government organized a bailout.

If you want to buy in to a hedge fund, look for ones that are “market neutral.” And then look into the background of the people running it, and the performance of the fund in bad times. “Market neutral” means that even if the S&P 500 is down by 25%, the hedge fund won’t dip nearly that much, and may even show a profit. That’s how good a real hedge is.

I’m getting this from Edward Thorp’s recent memoirs, which I mentioned before (A Man for All Markets). He ran such a fund for many years, and mostly retired while he still had time to enjoy retirement.

1 Like

If you are not satisfied with the results of your portfolio your goal should probably be looking to seriously outperform your own personal portfolio. The easiest way to do that–Is to upgrade your portfolio- The easiest way to do that is to sell a loser from your portfolio and redeploy the funds into one of your winners.

b&w,

I’ve seen you make this statement many times. I know you have HASI in your port. From September through October of last year, HASI fell from 24 to 18. That’s a 25% shave in 2 months. Wouldn’t that be considered a “loser”? But you didn’t sell it, and in fact bought more. How do you determine that a stock is a “loser”?

7 Likes

How do you determine that a stock is a “loser”?

Damned good question! I’ve seen a lot of preening here lately and when I look at my portfolio using traditional metrics, YTD I’m underperforming the three major indexes yet I’m beating one of the world’s greatest investors, Warren Buffett’s BRKA. How to make sense of that?

Is the current mark-to-market value of the portfolio the best indicator of its value? If that were the case March/April of 2000 would have been the best of times for high tech investors except it was all downhill for the next couple of years. Or was March 2009 the worst of times? Looked at another way, suppose you buy XYZ at $100 and it goes up to $200. You don’t want to buy more despite it being a “good stock” but if it were to drop to $80 you might buy the dip despite it being a “bad stock.”

Cognitive dissonance!

A better way to value a portfolio is to assess how well it meets your needs, present and future. This is not the place for that discussion.

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes

Hi Carpian:

I’ve seen you make this statement many times. I know you have HASI in your port. From September through October of last year, HASI fell from 24 to 18. That’s a 25% shave in 2 months. Wouldn’t that be considered a “loser”? But you didn’t sell it, and in fact bought more. How do you determine that a stock is a “loser”?

Not a loser for my purposes. I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again now. My portfolio is geared towards tax deferred income. I believe dividends/distributions are more stable that share/unit prices which change almost every second. So HASI (the stock) dropped 25% because the shareholders (the public) perceived there was something wrong. While at the same time HASI management kept reporting positive quarterly reports due to increased growth and earnings and most important, kept declaring the tax deferred quarterly distribution and in addition the year end distribution was increased 10% as projected by management in their guidance the last 6 months of 2016. I took the opportunity of the 25% price drop to add substantially to my HASI position at IMHO discounted prices which is currently creating additional tax deferred income to me. Since I am not currently interested in selling, and am instead interested in adding to my position, stable prices are attractive, and dips even more so.

I hope that helps

b&w

5 Likes

People tend think that someone else knows more than they do. This has always baffled me. Just because you don’t know something doesn’t mean that someone else does. I think people in general or not ok not knowing something so they want an answer. Then someone who sounds confident comes along and assures you that it’s this way or that way.

It’s been called God of the Gaps. Josh Brown in his column yesterday talked about this, with both a market perspective and a science perspective, quoting Neil deGrasse Tyson: http://thereformedbroker.com/2017/05/25/ppt-and-the-god-of-t…

Cheers,
Jim

1 Like