JIM - HE DID IT! www.mungofitch.com

Thank heaven!

(No content yet, just a little icon I think to remember from his “Auntie Times”)

22 Likes

I noticed that, it’s his icon from Big Daddy’s Stock Tips.

Hope springs eternal!

9 Likes

If this turns out to be Jim’s new vehicle then there is a silver lining to this mess.

7 Likes

Always happy to put my $ where my mouth is.

I’d be happy to pay an annual subscription fee to Jim (or from a list of charities of his choice) for the privilege of listening to what he has to say.

—sutton

20 Likes

First posting which is largely a repeat of yours about the major bottom detector.

1 Like

Yeah Jim you did it!..

2 Likes

Happy to see first post.

I second the idea of paying a subscription at least to cover costs and/or donating to Jim’s fav nonprofit.

I’d love to see a message board (or a few) on his site. If subscriptions could cover the cost of someone managing that I’m all for it.

8 Likes

He has his first post up.

OK, new message board model. Everybody kicks in $10 to join, renewable annually. Jim decides which posters add the most value, after a few months kicks back the $10, maybe even more. Lurkers get nothing, useless posters get nothing, poster who add just a little value get back a dollar or two. Jim and I split the rest. Well, it’s my idea, I should get something.

We won’t get rich from it, of course, until we get a few lebenty gazillion users, but that should only take a few months. (I’m practicing my pitch for the VC’s.) After that we hire drones to write it and live on Jeff Bezo’s yacht. I have it all worked out.

4 Likes

Sadly, I think it will most likely work out the way that Dividend Growth Investing went after Dave Fish died.

The thing with Mungofitch posting on TMF boards is that people who didn’t know could stumble across his posts and discover them, and learn thereby. Which is the whole point of TMF boards. That can’t happen with www.mungofitch.com Only the people who already know about him will know about it.

6 Likes

Well, it could conceivably happen w/ mungo.com. His name has quite a bit of goodwill attached to it. But I don’t think that’s his vision for the site. He’s said it won’t have message boards, for instance. Perhaps we could convince him to allow comments below his posts?

2 Likes

I had a chat to Jim over email and he`s not going to add a comments / discussions section. Best to have a discussion thread on here following. He said he may answer further questions submitted by email and make a follow up posting on his page. Ta

8 Likes

I’m guessing a number of forums will discuss whatever he posts.

1 Like

@james21 Bingo! We have a winner!

There is no reason for Jim to deal with the hassle of managing a set of discussion boards, or even manage a discussion below the article. He has a following here (and I would not be shocked to find a following in some other places) who will discuss what he has to say. Perhaps accompanied by direct e-mail exchanges with just a couple of trusted folks to pass along a bit of a follow up as needed.

I’m just thankful that he has chosen to create a place where he can post an article from time to time for all of us to read.

His presence will be sorely missed here, but we will still have some access to his thoughts and insights.

All the best to you, Jim.

–Peter

19 Likes

I should think not. He was ridiculously patient and polite with a couple of petulant posters on this board who could not accept that they were not the smartest guy in the room. Frankly, I’m surprised that the guy who actually was the smartest in the room stuck around for as long as he did. Okay, so now he’s gone to a different room and there’s no need for him to make the self-inflicted error of enabling the sniping from the few who seem to have a deeply established inferiority complex.

SJ

25 Likes

Similar approach to what Brooklyn Investor did. Unfortunately he fell off back in May '21. Too bad because i enjoyed and appreciated his knowledge and commentary.

I say ‘go Jim’ and thank you!

m

3 Likes

I just ‘ignored’ a number of posters and so never saw them, I didn’t understand why Jim didn’t also set these guys on ‘ignore’ (didn’t understand, but admired him for his patience). Although it’d be great to be able to still get some insight from Jim given his new site, what is lost is his comments on other people’s posts. Not those of the annoying people (I’d see Jim’s replies but wouldn’t see the original annoying poster I had on ‘ignore’), but his clarifications of where other people may be going a bit wrong, or his detailed answers to good questions. The interactivity was valuable and that will be lost in just a newsletter type arrangement.
OTOH, it presumably took a lot of his time, so it’s understandable.

10 Likes

Agree that this thread has about run its course.

With that said, while waiting for my laptop to finish a chore this morninig, I was thumbing through my 'Quotations" file, or what earlier generations would have called a “commonplace book”)

This jumped out (bolding mine):

Surveying both modern research and ancient texts, Jeste found that the concept of wisdom has stayed “surprisingly similar” across centuries and across geographic regions: “All across the world, we have an implicit notion of what a wise person is.” The traits of the wise tend to include compassion and empathy, good social reasoning and decision making, equanimity, tolerance of divergent values, comfort with uncertainty and ambiguity. And the whole package is more than the sum of the parts, because these traits work together to improve life not only for the wise but also for their communities. Wisdom is pro-social. (Has any society ever wanted less of it?) Humans, Jeste says, live for an unusually long time after their fertile years; perhaps wisdom provides benefits to our children or our social groups that make older people worth keeping around, from an evolutionary perspective.
> “Wisdom is useful at any age,” he says. “But from an evolutionary point of view, younger people are fertile, so even if they’re not wise, they’re okay. But older people need to find some other way that they can contribute to the survival of the species.” – Jonathan Rauch, The Atlantic, Dec 2014

12 Likes