Just like England early in WWII (cross post)

Just like England early in WWII when Nazi invasion seemed imminent.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s military is asking people to remove the names of streets, cities and villages from road signs in their regions in order to ‘confuse and disorient the enemy’.

Estonia’s former defence chief Riho Terras has now claimed that Putin’s war is not going to plan because Russia is fast running out of money and weapons, and will have to enter negotiations with Volodymyr Zelensky’s government if Kyiv holds off the Russians for 10 days.

Russia’s tyrant has allegedly convened a meeting with the oligarchs in a bunker in the Ural Mountains, at which it is claimed that he furiously vented that he thought the war would be ‘easy’ and ‘everything would be done in one to four days’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10554269/Ukraine-DE…

5 Likes

If the Ukrainians are to be believed, they are putting up a heck of a fight.

In Kyiv, defiant Ukrainians hold off Russian army: ‘We know we will win’

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/in-kyiv-defiant-ukraini…

A few years ago, some were wondering if NATO was relevant anymore. Can’t think of anything that would reinvigorate the alliance like what Putin is doing.

Steve

9 Likes

A few years ago, some were wondering if NATO was relevant anymore. Can’t think of anything that would reinvigorate the alliance like what Putin is doing.

====================================================================

That was just Trump propaganda to support Putin. That Trump propaganda made the Europeans angry that a US President was supporting Putin.

Jaak

If the Ukrainians are to be believed, they are putting up a heck of a fight.

Heard on the radio (news) that intercepted Russian radio communications said that Russian soldiers were complaining this was more difficult than they were told…and it was hard to know who to shoot at since “they look just like us.”

Of course, this could just be part of a disinformation strategy.

Mike

1 Like

Russian soldiers were complaining this was more difficult than they were told.

Russia had not faced determined resistance in a war since they lost in Afghanistan, over thirty years ago. Even their non-coms have not faced the real thing before.

The current Ukrainian soldiers, and those who have separated from the service over the last several years, have all had experience being shot at in the civil war.

Steve

There is so much disinformation out there from both sides, its hard to know how much is true and how much is wishful thinking. We shall see.

Its noticeable that the rocket attack on the tall tower just happened to be on TV. Daylight attack on the side with TV cameras. Was it a military attack? Or were they playing for the media? Trying to frighten the population of Ukraine? Make international news?

So much of the military videos we see are not news but rather file videos from training exercises. Training with wooden rifles? Is that believable? Or lots of media fluff.

In times of war, the media are not to be trusted.

1 Like

Daylight attack on the side with TV cameras.

Well, rockets are too fast to shoot down, so doesn’t matter if they are fired in day or night. I have seen plenty of video of Gaza Strip terrorists firing rockets into Israel during the day.

There are web cams all over the place now. It would not be impossible for one to have been pointed in the right direction to catch that rocket hit. There have been plenty of pix of shot up buildings to dismiss a narrative that Kiev is not being shot at.

Steve

1 Like

desertdaveataol
Russia’s tyrant has allegedly convened a meeting with the oligarchs in a bunker in the Ural Mountains, at which it is claimed that he furiously vented that he thought the war would be ‘easy’ and ‘everything would be done in one to four days’.

Given this (assuming it’s true) and other factors of Putin’s ill advised attack, we wouldn’t be surprised to find there were three or four within the Kremlin’s tight circle who are quietly discussing how to back the Pootmeister off his plans.

That’s what it’s gonna take; yelling at him via “diplomacy” won’t budge him.

The raft of sanctions and pulling the SWIFT rug out from under him will help, too.

1 Like

That’s what it’s gonna take; yelling at him via “diplomacy” won’t budge him.

Sanctions against Putin are important, but mostly symbolic. He has had years to hide his stolen billions all over the globe.

Once the oligarchs, the FSB, and the military think Putin is doing more harm than good to them, Putin will retire. Perhaps permanently.

The danger to Putin is not NATO on his border. It’s someone standing next to him.

AW

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s military is asking people to remove the names of streets, cities and villages from road signs in their regions in order to ‘confuse and disorient the enemy’.

Has GPS been disabled? Does anyone even look at signs anymore?

IP

Has GPS been disabled? Does anyone even look at signs anymore?

I’m wondering how many GPS units the Russians can afford.

And, yes, people do look at street signs.

1 Like

I believe the Russians have their own GPS system

GLONASS (Russian: ???, IPA: [g??'nas]; ??? ??? ??? ???, Global Navigation Satellite System) is a Russian space-based satellite navigation system operating as part of a radionavigation-satellite service. It provides an alternative to GPS and is the second navigational system in operation with global coverage and of comparable precision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS

The Captain

I would think if you could afford to buy a tank, it would come with a navigation system that could be programed. Otherwise you wind up with movies like The Russians Are Coming! It seems inconceivable to me that a tank would not have GPS built in, having to be reduced to asking residents for directions if lost. Particularly in war, landmarks get blown away. GPS coordinates remain.

IP,
thinking that the removal of the street signs was more to make the locals feel useful than actually being useful

I would think if you could afford to buy a tank, it would come with a navigation system…

If it’s an issue it would be at the squad/platoon level where there is a need to coordinate movements, call in assistance, fire support, etc.

DB2

It seems inconceivable to me that a tank would not have GPS built in,…

Yeah, WE have them.

But do the Russians have them?

But my brief perusal of the web failed to find any record of Russian tanks equipped with GPS units.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=GPS+in+tanks&search=&f…

But my brief perusal of the web failed to find any record of Russian tanks equipped with GPS units.

Try using Russian GPS, i.e, GLONASS!

Russian Military Receives Modernized T-72B3 Tanks

The tank is equipped with an NBC protection system, night vision equipment, satellite navigation system GLONASS, laser warning system, laser range finder and automatized fire control system. T-72B3 has Sosna-U multichannel sights and is powered by reinforced engines over 1,000 p.s.

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/28248/Russian_Military_Rec…

The Captain
uses GPS to navigate Google :innocent:

russian tanks with GLONASS
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q…

3 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Try using Russian GPS, i.e, GLONASS!

Your googling skills are better than mine;-)

1 Like

how to back the Pootmeister off his plans.

There’s only one way … have him “retire”.

I would think if you could afford to buy a tank, it would come with a navigation system that could be programed. Otherwise you wind up with movies like The Russians Are Coming! It seems inconceivable to me that a tank would not have GPS built in, having to be reduced to asking residents for directions if lost. Particularly in war, landmarks get blown away. GPS coordinates remain.

IP,
thinking that the removal of the street signs was more to make the locals feel useful than actually being useful

Talking about “removal”, it’s possible some Russian soldiers removed the GPS units and sold them on the black market. You know, to supplement their paltry income from the army.