Just.... no

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/22/gigant…

34 second video of a large monitor lizard attempting entry into a Florida home. Several feet long.

We love the little lizards around our place in Charlotte NC. They’re a few inches long, eat bugs and are fun to watch. And our grandsons like catching them when they visit.

Big suckers as shown on the video? Nah… DON’T want that. Don’t want alligators either (Charlotte is just a couple hours away from alligator territory though). Or the giant pythons Florida “enjoys”. Or those “giant African lizards” I read about in Southern Florida. Invasive species are a problem since they typically don’t have appropriate predators to keep them in check.

Charlotte doesn’t have many problem species. Deer are largely unchecked and have been a problem for some of our bushes. Coyotes are in the area, but we’ve never seen one. On VERY rare occasions, a bear will wander from the mountains and come as far as Charlotte, but only once in the ten years we’ve been here. Fire ants are easily kept under control and we don’t seem to have problems with other bugs. Of course, our backyard waterfall (9k gallons/hour) draws frogs and toads and they probably help rein in the bug population somewhat.

Exception: We need to keep our eyes open (and flashlight handy at night) when wandering our yard. Copperheads in the area. Not a real problem. Just need to be aware and not stupid.

Rob
Former RB and BL Home Fool, Supernova Portfolio Contributor & Maintenance Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

“The whole secret of investment is to find places where it’s safe and wise to non-diversify. It’s just that simple. Diversification is for the know-nothing investor; it’s not for the professional.” Charlie Munger

1 Like

A monitor lizard in Florida? Good grief. Another invasive species to keep an eye out for (like Burmese pythons and lion fish.)

My yard used to be infested with iguanas, but not monitor lizards.

In that our yard butts up to a nature preserve, raccoons began attacking and eating iguanas. Their first attack is to chew off the tail of live iguanas. Raccoons have won every battle I’ve ever witnessed between them and iguanas.

But the gal who really keeps the yard clear of iguanas?

A peregrine falcon which weighs about 8 or 9 pounds. I’ve seen her fly away with 4 pounds of iguana meat, no problem, just takes longer to hit cruising altitude. She is the biggest peregrine falcon I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something because peregrines winter down here in the Keys at several preserves. But none of them come down my way, as Big Bertha will chase them away.

I think I’ve retold this here before: my wife and I came home from Winn Dixie very early at sunrise not even a year ago. There was Bertha, pulling earthworms from the rain besotted soil. Not even three feet away from us. I could have grabbed a chair and just watched her feed, but I was transfixed by her up close beauty which I normally admire through binocs. I felt honored she allowed me to stand that close and watch her feed.

Next time I get close enough to her, I’ll try to take photos which I am hoping the new Motley Fool boards will allow us to post.

But monitor lizards? Like you, Nope, nope, nope. You don’t want those things around your pets, babies, or toddlers.

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/what-do-monitor-lizards-eat-11-…

1 Like