Like sand between your fingers, water exported from Arizona

“You can’t take water and export it out of the state, there’s laws about that,” said Arizona geohydrologist Marvin Glotfelty, a well-drilling expert. “But you can take ‘virtual’ water and export it; alfalfa, cotton, electricity or anything created in part from the use of water.”

Residents and local officials say lax groundwater laws give agriculture the upper hand, allowing (sometimes foreign owned) farms to pump unlimited water as long as they own or lease the property to drill wells into. In around 80% of the state, Arizona has no laws overseeing how much water corporate megafarms are using, nor is there any way for the state to track it.

I wonder, if you take a map of the US and cross off all the areas which are dependent on non-renewable water, and then cross off the “tornado zone” and the hurricane-prone areas, the earthquake zones and the areas with extremely hot or cold weather what you are left with?

Jeff

3 Likes

Such as semiconductors? Of course there isn’t anything that doesn’t require the use of water.

The article seems to ignore the benefits of exports.

DB2

I guess if you add value to water, it can goose the drop of the trade deficit (which is probably little comfort to those who will one day have to either move, die of thirst or buy bottles of Poland Springs (Disclosure: Nestle has been a major equity position of mine for years)

Jeff

1 Like

Maybe in AZ, but not in Michigan. I have posted before that, unlike AZ and water, unlike Texas and oil, Michigan virtually gives groundwater away to the “JCs”. Bottling companies pump out over a million gallons/day, and the only “burden” is a $200/year permit.

I used to have stock in Pinnacle West, the parent company of Arizona Public Service. Sold it, due to the chances of water shortage inhibiting growth in that state.

Steve.

2 Likes