MBPro OS14.4.1battery light

I keep my 2023 MBPro plugged into wall almost all the time. The battery light (on the smart plug) used to go from green to orange after some use, at orange the battery would be around 80% sometimes a bit lower. For the past week the battery light always shows green,and the battery is always at 100%, this is something new and am wondering if I should be concerned? Anyone else have similar experience?

Hi Tuni, you might want to calibrate the battery. Here is an AI report on how to do it.

If your Mac’s battery is consistently showing 100% charge, there are a few things you can check to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Calibrate the Battery: Sometimes the battery percentage display can become inaccurate. To recalibrate it, follow these steps:
  • Drain the Battery: Use your Mac until it shuts down due to low battery.
  • Charge Fully: Plug in your Mac and let it charge to 100% without interruption.
  • Reset SMC: If calibration doesn’t help, resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) might resolve the issue. The steps vary depending on your Mac model, so refer to Apple’s official guide for instructions.
  1. Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your macOS is up to date. Sometimes software updates include fixes for battery-related issues.
  2. Monitor Activity: Check if any specific apps or processes are consuming excessive power. You can do this by going to “Activity Monitor” (found in the Utilities folder within Applications) and sorting processes by energy impact.
  3. Battery Health: Open “System Information” (also in the Utilities folder) and navigate to “Power.” Here, you’ll find information about your battery’s health. If it’s significantly degraded, you might need to replace it.
  4. Third-Party Apps: Some third-party apps can affect battery life. Check if you’ve installed any recently and consider disabling them temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Remember that battery health naturally degrades over time, so if your Mac is older, it’s normal for the battery to hold less charge than when it was new. If none of the above steps help, consider contacting Apple Support for further assistance.

Andy
Who is really liking this AI, makes me feel like a genius

2 Likes

Tuni this is the expected or normal behavior for the MBP using MacOS 14.x. It would be nicer if you we had the option in settings to stop charging at 80% which exists in iOS 17.x on iPhones.

I have observed the behavior you report after I update my MacOS 13.x and 14.x. It also will happen when I take my MBP away from my office and use it without being connected with to a charger.

In both situations somewhere between 7 and 10 days after the MBP is reconnected to the charger. Without exception the charge tapering down to 80% begins something late at night - I find it usually when I fire up things about 7am.

I am assuming that if you click the “i” in a circle shown below, you have the Optimized Battery Charging turned on.

Thx Gordon, glad you entered the discussion. Yes, my battery has optimized turned on, am also (apparently using low power) which doesn’t seem to be impacting anything or causing probs. Strange this behavior is recent, I used to worry when I first got the machine because the light went to orange after awhile. We did discuss that together. This is new behavior, now always green and 100%. Crazy! lol
Thanks for your input, helps my lil brain.

| GWPotter
April 17 |

• | - |

Tuni this is the expected or normal behavior for the MBP using MacOS 14.x. It would be nicer if you we had the option in settings to stop charging at 80% which exists in iOS 17.x on iPhones.

I have observed the behavior you report after I update my MacOS 13.x and 14.x. It also will happen when I take my MBP away from my office and use it without being connected with to a charger.

In both situations somewhere between 7 and 10 days after the MBP is reconnected to the charger. Without exception the charge tapering down to 80% begins something late at night - I find it usually when I fire up things about 7am.

I am assuming that if you click the “i” in a circle shown below, you have the Optimized Battery Charging turned on.

I have an Apple Studio display which connects to my MBP with a Thunderbolt 4 cable so I don’t use the charger and cable (with the green/orange LED) that came with my MBP at home. When traveling I do use the LED cable.

I do see the 100% and about 80% charge numbers in the MacOS menubar.

Do you recall when you last updated to MacOS? The last time I went through these deal was when upgraded to MacOS 14.1.4 about 3 weeks ago.

Typo I think, it’s Mac OS 14.4.1 now… there was a second 14.4.1 but I don’t really any major change identified…

Thanks for catching -

1 Like