Medicare DIS-Advantage plans

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/diane-archer/101824/insp…
Medicare Advantage plans are endangering the lives of older adults and people with disabilities. The HHS Office of the Inspector General (OIG), which works to fight waste, fraud and abuse, recently issued a devastating report showing that these corporate health plans, which contract with the government to deliver Medicare benefits, are denying large amounts of care inappropriately.

6 Likes

Although these people claim (I am sure legally) they are not HMOs, their system works just like one. The insurance companies restrict who you can see, they pay providers less, they advertise how great they are and pay themselves generously.

In short there is no free lunch.

4 Likes

Some advantage programs may be like that, but mine has a very extensive list of in network providers and so far has been generous with approvals.

Caveat emptor applies. Do your research before you sign.

3 Likes

Medicare Advantage plans are endangering the lives of older adults and people with disabilities. The HHS Office of the Inspector General (OIG), which works to fight waste, fraud and abuse, recently issued a devastating report showing that these corporate health plans, which contract with the government to deliver Medicare benefits, are denying large amounts of care inappropriately.

Last year I changed my HMO plan for a PPO plan to get away from the need to use their approved providers. There is still a third entity between me and my health care provider. First the HMO or PPO. Then they hire another entity to review every claim. In my case Aetna had the policy and they hired OPTUM to monitor/approve all treatments. I couldn’t go to a supplemental plan without proof of good health. Luckily for me, Blue shield temporarily waived that requirement for the month of February and so I went with Blue Shield’s supplement plan. Once you have a supplemental plan you can change to another on your birth month. So in April I changed to Blue Cross’s supplement for a lower premium. So far so good. I have had bladder cancer treated for several months with no issues. (And the prognosis is good on the disease, I am happy to report.)

11 Likes

"Once you have a supplemental plan you can change to another on your birth month. So in April I changed to Blue Cross’s supplement for a lower premium. So far so good. I have had bladder cancer treated for several months with no issues. (And the prognosis is good on the disease, I am happy to report.) "

Perhaps there is a regional difference - DW and I have a supplemental plan and can change our
plan any time during the regular Medicare renewal period - birthdays tend to be when price is
increased.

Howie52

3 Likes