New EV Battery-Game Changer?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/new-ev-battery-can-reac…
Silicon-anode power units could come to market soon, accelerating adoption of electric vehicles

A new type of silicon-anode lithium-ion battery could be the solution the EV market is waiting for as it can allegedly charge from empty to full in less than 10 minutes.…

Designed and built by California-based Enovix, the battery also maintains 93 percent of its capacity past 1,000 charges and was minimally affected by six months of operation at elevated temperatures, the company claims. These are both key parts of the US Advanced Battery Consortium’s (USABC) high-performance EV battery goals.

If this pans out; the charging problem is solved. And the competitive balance tilts heavily to EV favor.

13 Likes

And the competitive balance tilts heavily to EV favor.

Blasphemy!

1 Like

This is good news! I hope it works and goes into full production.

I know battery replacements are not cheap. But I wonder if in a few year’s time we’ll see battery replacements with this new technology (assuming it actually does go to production).

The pace of change in this space is one reason we have not bought an EV yet. (The other is that, honestly, we don’t need a new car just yet anyway). What would the resale value of today’s EV be in 4-5 years if new models can charge in 10 minutes?

4 Likes

In the power to weight ratio competition hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline or diesel fuel easily win over batteries.

That is why heavy vehicles like trucks are more likely to go to hydrogen fuel probably via fuel cells to electric motors.

They continue to tell us EVs are tiny compared to a typical SUV.

2 Likes

“What would the resale value of today’s EV be in 4-5 years if new models can charge in 10 minutes?”

Nissan Leaf (100 mile range) still has excellent resale value. 20 years old but in demand.

Most folks worry more about charging at home…and that will take a few hours. Overnight - once or twice a week for 200-250 mile range car typically.

Yes, if they can get 400 miles and 10 min recharge…that will be excellent for EV sales…

Other folks are talking about 500 mile batteries.

We’ll see…

t.

Not sure about the below. How does that calculation go? (I’m asking honestly, I don’t know.)

Tesla M3 basic: 302 ft-lb torque from @3700 lbs vehicle weight, .081.
Toyota Camry: 184 ft-lb torque from @3400 lbs vehicle weight, .054.
smaller gap on horsepower.

Better comp than Camry - BMW 350: similar torque, 15% higher horsepower and similar curb weight.

The Model Y is a beefed up 3 or a toned down X, but then most cars including “crossovers” are tiny compared to a full-size SUV.

In the power to weight ratio competition hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline or diesel fuel easily win over batteries…

1 Like

In the power to weight ratio competition hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline or diesel fuel easily win over batteries.

Yes, batteries are heavy but, adjusted for cost (build, operate, and subsidies), how do they match.

The Captain

Sandy Munro says that hydrogen fuel makes sense for heavy trucks and semis.

I read about a mine where the cost to fuel the electric dump trucks is zero! The quarry is on top of a mountain. The regenerative breaking on the way down produces enough juice to get the empty truck back to the quarry! Can’t do that with fossil fuels! They only die once! Bond. James Bond.

3 Likes

Not sure about the below. How does that calculation go? (I’m asking honestly, I don’t know.)

I doubt you can get a reliable conversion factor. It depends on the quality of the electric motors, the chemistry of the batteries, the battery management system, the software throttling (to prevent the Osborne effect – Berlin (2170 cells) vs. Texas (4680 cells) model Y, for example, and even the structural design of the vehicle – for example structural battery packs vs. older designs, and drag coefficient.

The Captain

2 Likes

Power to weight ratio in fuels vs batteries relates to range more than torque.

A pound of fuel contains more energy than a pound of battery. Hence a similar vehicle with equal wt of fuel has greater range.

Heavier vehicle able to carry a bigger load requires a bigger battery.

I know battery replacements are not cheap. But I wonder if in a few year’s time we’ll see battery replacements with this new technology (assuming it actually does go to production).

Makes no sense at all to do this unless batteries were so plentiful that car makers couldn’t sell new EVs.

In reality, for a long time, no matter what the battery tech is, batteries will be a limiting factor. So why sell a battery upgrade for $10K or $15K when you could sell a whole car for 2x - 4x that much?
As for replacing batteries that are at EOL, again, you’d want to sell the cheapest old tech battery and save the new tech for new cars that have the charging electronics built for the high amps and high heat of faster charging.

Mike

1 Like

Nissan Leaf (100 mile range) still has excellent resale value. 20 years old but in demand.

Except the first Nissan Leaf was sold in 2010, not 2002.

Mike

1 Like

Power to weight ratio in fuels vs batteries relates to range more than torque.

A pound of fuel contains more energy than a pound of battery. Hence a similar vehicle with equal wt of fuel has greater range.

Heavier vehicle able to carry a bigger load requires a bigger battery.

Power to weight ratio of battery EVs vs conventional cars range from roughly the same to EVs being better than virtually any competition. The Tesla Model S Plaid has the quickest 0-60mph time of any production vehicle, according to Wikipedia, a remarkable achievement for a 4 door full-size sedan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_car…

0-60 is a decent measure of power/weight, as is 1/4 mile time, and on 1/4 mile the Plaid ranks second among production vehicles, narrowly edged by the Bugatti Chiron Super Sport, a two seat sports car. Top speed isn’t a good measure as it’s too dependent on aerodynamics, and that is something of an issue in the 1/4 mile as well, perhaps accounting for the Bugatti’s win in that test by .13 sec. The Tesla’s larger frontal area is exerting a mighty drag at speeds over 125 mph.

The energy to weight ratio and speed of refilling is something of a problem for EVs, though probably becoming a non-issue within 10 years. Power to weight definitely not a problem.

A little info on energy versus power.

"Energy is what makes change happen and can be transferred form one object to another. Energy can also be transformed from one form to another.

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred. It is not energy but is often confused with energy. The watt is the most commonly used unit of measure for power. It measures the rate of energy transfer."

A kilogram of diesel fuel contains a lot more energy than a kg of battery. So it permits more range per unit of weight.

An EV can transfer the energy quicker than an ICI. So faster acceleration. Has nothing to do with range per kg of the source.

1 Like

In the case of an internal combustion engine, I suppose the weight of the engine should be included in the comparison along with fuel wt vs battery wt. I assume the electric motors are much lighter than engine, transmission, differential, etc.

1 Like

In the case of an internal combustion engine, I suppose the weight of the engine should be included in the comparison along with fuel wt vs battery wt. I assume the electric motors are much lighter than engine, transmission, differential, etc.

Yeah, you have to look at the entire package, not just battery vs gas tank. Exhaust system, radiator, air filter casing, etc … are a few more items you may not need on an EV.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/soon-electric-vehi…
In a report released this week, government researchers said they have found a way to charge electric car batteries up to 90 percent in just 10 minutes. The method is likely five years away from making its way into the market, scientists said, but would mark a fundamental shift.

So who discovered the method of fast charging a battery? Private enterprise or government researchers?
Are the two methods the same? Similar? Or entirely different?

Below is a link about federal government breakthrough:
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/960985
Charging the lithium-ion batteries that fuel electric vehicles is a delicate balancing act. Ideally, drivers want to power up as quickly as possible to get back on the highway, but with current technology, speeding up the process can cause damage. When a lithium-ion battery is being charged, lithium ions migrate from one side of the device, the cathode, to the other, the anode. By making the lithium ions migrate faster, the battery is charged more quickly, but sometimes the lithium ions don’t fully move into the anode. In this situation, lithium metal can build up, and this can trigger early battery failure. It can also cause the cathode to wear and crack. All of these issues will reduce the lifetime of the battery and the effective range of the vehicle — expensive and frustrating consequences for drivers.
One solution to this conundrum is to tailor the charging protocol in a way that optimizes speed while avoiding damage for the many different types of battery designs currently used in vehicles. But developing optimal protocols requires a huge amount of data on how various methods affect these devices’ lifetimes, efficiencies and safety. The design and condition of batteries, as well as the feasibility of applying a given charging protocol with the current electric grid infrastructure, are also key variables.

To address these challenges, Dufek and his research team at Idaho National Laboratory now report the use of machine learning techniques that incorporate charging data to create unique charging protocols. By inputting information about the condition of many lithium-ion batteries during their charging and discharging cycles, the scientists trained the machine learning analysis to predict lifetimes and the ways that different designs would eventually fail. The team then fed that data back into the analysis to identify and optimize new protocols that they then tested on real batteries.

“We’ve significantly increased the amount of energy that can go into a battery cell in a short amount of time,” says Dufek. “Currently, we’re seeing batteries charge to over 90% in 10 minutes without lithium plating or cathode cracking.”
Dufek says that the ultimate goal is for electric vehicles to be able to “tell” charging stations how to power up their specific batteries quickly and safely.

It seems the government researchers hope to develop a “smart” charger that will tailor charging for each individual EV vehicle.
This is different from Enovix approach that appears to be developing a new type of silicon-anode lithium-ion battery that capable of being charged fast.