New PHISHing Angle

Agree for the most part however with a Phone and GPS they could have an exact location.

If there’s a way for the website to get your exact location, it doesn’t matter if you visit the website by typing in the address (URL) - or by using a QR code to get the address.

I usually use Chrome for my browser, and I don’t allow my web browser to give out my location.
When I use Safari, I don’t allow it to give my location either.
I think even if you allow it, they both give a prompt before providing the information to websites.

90% of the time your IP address is enough to have an exact-enough location for what advertisers, etc. want to do. For example, if you go to homedepot.com it will have a guess about which store is closest to you - and it’ll probably get close enough. It might give you one from the next town over or something, but probably close enough. Sometimes due to proxies, etc, it will be completely wrong. But most of the time it’ll get the right metro area because they can look up your IP and see “Oh, it’s in block of IP addresses for Comcast. Comcast uses this particular range for East Springfield - we’ll assume this computer is in East Springfield. Our nearest store is in South Springfield, so we’ll use that until/unless they change it.”

90% of the time your IP address is enough to have an exact-enough location

Yep sure is.

I don’t think the APP permission thing in phone actually works. They can read it anyway.